Kindle Fire--no captions/subtitles

kristy2078

Reaction score
So, I was wondering if the new Kindle Fire would show captions, and I came to find out--no captions/subtitles. SAY WHAT?! :mad:

One step ahead in technology, five steps behind in equality :(

Return it and buy a Nook Tablet. The Nook Tablet has captions.

I gave my husband one for Christmas. He loves it so far.

Not legally, if I'm understanding it right. You have to be clever enough to know how to do the work-around, but it will void your warranty.

If you don't like what Kindle doesn't have - buy something else. This is coming from someone who is about one step above technologically illiterate, so my basic operating principle is to buy the product that comes as close as possible to what I want, right out of the box.

Not legally, if I'm understanding it right. You have to be clever enough to know how to do the work-around, but it will void your warranty.

If you don't like what Kindle doesn't have - buy something else. This is coming from someone who is about one step above technologically illiterate, so my basic operating principle is to buy the product that comes as close as possible to what I want, right out of the box.

So it seems neither Nook nor Kindle actually have the captions/subtitles option, and to get that, I would have to go through several processes (i.e. use a converter program). I see that Nook streams from Netflix and Hulu, and you should know that neither one of these sites is generous with captions.

"buy the product that comes as close as possible to what I want, right out of the box"

So in this case, what would you buy?

Not legally, if I'm understanding it right.
it is perfectly legal. same for jailbreaking iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch

You have to be clever enough to know how to do the work-around, but it will void your warranty.
no it does not void warranty. and there's no work-around. it's a very simple boot-up and it's reversible. Amazon got a notice of this and took a friendly approach toward people rooting its Kindle Fire.

Completely bricking it would void your warranty but then.... it's bit rare for that to happen to most people.

Nook is quite nice in terms of hardware specification. It's souped up and beefy with 1gb of memory but for techie people who wants something more in terms of software - Kindle Fire is better since Nook's OS is completely locked.

So, I was wondering if the new Kindle Fire would show captions, and I came to find out--no captions/subtitles. SAY WHAT?! :mad:

I watch netflix thru my Kindle Fire and it has subtitle.

So it seems neither Nook nor Kindle actually have the captions/subtitles option, and to get that, I would have to go through several processes (i.e. use a converter program). I see that Nook streams from Netflix and Hulu, and you should know that neither one of these sites is generous with captions.

"buy the product that comes as close as possible to what I want, right out of the box"

So in this case, what would you buy?

I would buy, and did in fact buy, the Nook Tablet. It shows captions whenever the originating material has captions.

You don't have to go through any converter program on it. Just press the icon for a little speech bubble, and that's the captions.

Yes, Netflix does work with subtitle in Kindle Fire.

attachment.php

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJdZlPOif4[/ame]

Attachments

• tablet.jpg
    tablet.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 42
My hubby is watching a movie on his Kindle Fire as I type...yes, it has subtitles.

i think the problem is that you need to download the .srt (or any .sub file) and put it with the movie and go to settings and set the file on.
But again, I dont buy movies, I just torrent them because so many companies (itunes is actually doing a decent job of subtitles which is why i rented a movie a few days ago from them) dont offer subtitles and ironically, piracy does a better job of making sure there are subtitles.

Yes, but this is going to be a family device. I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't use it too. (Sneaky way to give a Christmas present, hmm?)

Anyway, so far on the free TV shows, it's true most of those do not have captions, far as I can tell. However, there isn't much that's free. We haven't signed up for the Hulu Plus yet, but the salesman at the store demonstrated it for me, with the captions.

Back