Questions about Buddhism? ASK PUYOPIYO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hwy99

Reaction score
For a BIG favor to Maria from the "God vs Satan" thread ;)

Well... Read the topic of this thread, and DISCUSS it!

I will be very happy to discuss with everyone in this AllDeaf Forum, and would love to help people who don't understand Buddhism. And don't forget that I am a Theravada Buddhism.

Now I am going to mention about alot of people who thought Buddha was a god in Buddhist people's view, which are mistake.

Buddha's Biography

Buddha's real name was Siddhartha Guatama, or Sakyamuni. He was born in 560 BC, as a prince in India. His parents protect him from seeing the reality of suffer, sickness, and death which people are living off. Till at his 29 age, he finally see people suffer, sickness, and death. He decided to stop worshipping to Hinduism (yes he was used to be Hinduism), and quit as being a prince. While he quit as being prince, obsiviously he escaped from his home. He went around northern India, traveling. While he was traveling, he teach people to let the suffer go, and stay be peace, joy and kindness, also teach people to understanding his philosphy(sp?). He never stop teaching people till his death, which are 45 years.

Now, is he a God?

No. He's only a Teacher, just a VERY VERY VERY good teacher. Which are enlightemented.

Also Buddhism's view of Jesus and God, they commonly welcome them. Buddhists might believe that Jesus is another Buddha.

Oh I forgot to say what "Buddha" means, it means "The Awakening One".

About the God, some of Buddhist dispute against God because they believe that evil and goodness are created by us, the humans. We are soul universal, and create "us" ourselves, and never start or ends. Buddhist also could be considered as "Athesit". Or should I say that Buddhism believe that all of us combined are God.

And there is LOT of Buddhist that believe in God too, like me.

The Buddhism religion have nothing against the Christianity, they are just a foregin contact with Buddhism.

I don't have links, but I have been researching all over the internet before I became Theravada Buddhism, and it's almost 3 in the morning, I am pretty tired and need to work tomorrow so.. if you want some of the links, please feel free to ask me, I will do it but just not this time.

Ok, PuyoPiyo ....

I would like to share with you what I know based on Buddhism.

Buddhism

Key Person or Founder, Date, Location :
Gautama Siddhartha, ( 563-483 BC ), also known as the Buddha ( " Englightened One " ). Founded in modern-day Nepal and India as a reformation of Hinduism.

Key Writings :
The Mahavastu ( " Great Story, " a chaotic collection coverin' the Buddha's life story ), the Jakata Tales ( 550 stories of the former lives of the Buddha ), the Tripitaka ( " Three Baskets " ), and the Tantras ( as recorded i Tibetan Buddhism ).

Who is God ? :
The Buddha himself did not believe in the existence of God. Others speak of the Buddha as a universal enlightened consciousness or as a god.

Who is Jesus ? :
Jesus Christ is not part of the historic Buddhist worldview. Buddhists in the West today generally view Jesus as an enlightened teacher, while Buddhists in Asia believe Jesus is an avatar or a Bodhisattva ( but not God ).

Who is the Holy Spirit ? :
The Holy Spirit is not part of this belief. Buddhists do believe in spirits, and some practice deity yoga and invite spirit possession.

How to be saved :
Goal of life is nirvana, to eliminate all desires or cravin', and in this way escape sufferin'. The Eightfold Path is a system to free Buddhists from desirin' anythin'.

What happens after death :
Reincarnation. People do not have their own individual souls or spirits, but one's desires and feelin' may be reincarnated into other person.

Other facts, beliefs, or practices :
Eightfold path recommends right knowledge, intentions, speech, conduct, livelihood, right effort, mindfulness, and meditation. Some Buddhist groups talk about an " eternal Buddha " ( life-force ). Through the " Doctrine of Assimilation " the belief systems of other religions are blended into their form of Buddhism.

What make ya interested in Buddhism?

Am getting interested in Buddhism after my friends talked about that. I read the book "The Everything Buddhism Book". Wonder how Deaf Buddhists find Dharma and Sangha.

Just found out some DVDs about Buddhsim included three jewels not have any closed captions. Please let me know if ya know any. Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Buddha just the title of one who has achieved enlightenment? And haven't there been 28 Buddhas?

I'm really interested in learning more about Mahayana Bhuddism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Buddha just the title of one who has achieved enlightenment? And haven't there been 28 Buddhas?

Speaking on Buddha, I think there are two types amyaksambuddhas and pratyekabuddhas. One achieves enlightenment and can teach, the other just achieves enlightenment. So you're probably right on the title. Or that's my small understanding of it anyway.

So if you're into Mahayana, why not Theravada?

Ok, PuyoPiyo ....

I would like to share with you what I know based on Buddhism.

Buddhism

Key Person or Founder, Date, Location :
Gautama Siddhartha, ( 563-483 BC ), also known as the Buddha ( " Englightened One " ). Founded in modern-day Nepal and India as a reformation of Hinduism.

Key Writings :
The Mahavastu ( " Great Story, " a chaotic collection coverin' the Buddha's life story ), the Jakata Tales ( 550 stories of the former lives of the Buddha ), the Tripitaka ( " Three Baskets " ), and the Tantras ( as recorded i Tibetan Buddhism ).

Who is God ? :
The Buddha himself did not believe in the existence of God. Others speak of the Buddha as a universal enlightened consciousness or as a god.

Who is Jesus ? :
Jesus Christ is not part of the historic Buddhist worldview. Buddhists in the West today generally view Jesus as an enlightened teacher, while Buddhists in Asia believe Jesus is an avatar or a Bodhisattva ( but not God ).

Who is the Holy Spirit ? :
The Holy Spirit is not part of this belief. Buddhists do believe in spirits, and some practice deity yoga and invite spirit possession.

How to be saved :
Goal of life is nirvana, to eliminate all desires or cravin', and in this way escape sufferin'. The Eightfold Path is a system to free Buddhists from desirin' anythin'.

What happens after death :
Reincarnation. People do not have their own individual souls or spirits, but one's desires and feelin' may be reincarnated into other person.

Other facts, beliefs, or practices :
Eightfold path recommends right knowledge, intentions, speech, conduct, livelihood, right effort, mindfulness, and meditation. Some Buddhist groups talk about an " eternal Buddha " ( life-force ). Through the " Doctrine of Assimilation " the belief systems of other religions are blended into their form of Buddhism.

EXACTLY!!!! I am glad that I am not the only one who have the knowledge of Buddhism ^_^

Tripitaka ( " Three Baskets " ),

That is what Theravada follow as their spiritual guide.

guido said:

28 Buddhas? Do you mean 18 Arhants?

Arhants means a person who studied about Buddhism and became enlightemented, that person will successfully go to Nirvana (that Maria mentioned to).

But being honestly, the number of Arhants probably are not the same as today. Maybe everyone who exist today became Arhants!

Oh about Mahayana Buddhism...

You have to know that Mahayana and Theravada are VERY little different. Mahayana is more lead to understand about the enlightment, (I am not sure if I was right), and Theravada is more lead to "Arhantship".

But Theravada and Mahayana are not the only Buddhism, there is one more. I copied from the Buddhism article from Wikipedia.org

Theravada, the only surviving member of a set of traditions collectively known as Hinayana (a name which is often considered offensive by its practitioners). Also known as Southeast Asian Buddhism, Pali Buddhism or southern Buddhism, Therevada is practiced mainly in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and parts of Malaysia, Vietnam, China and Bangladesh (Southeast Asia);

East Asian Buddhism or Mahayana, also known as Sino-Japanese Buddhism or eastern Buddhism — practiced predominantly in China, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Russia;

Tibetan Buddhism or Vajrayana, also known as northern Buddhism — practiced mainly in Tibet, Mongolia, Bhutan and parts of Nepal, India, Maldives, China and Russia.

Also I know there's Zen Buddhism too.

What make ya interested in Buddhism?

Am getting interested in Buddhism after my friends talked about that. I read the book "The Everything Buddhism Book". Wonder how Deaf Buddhists find Dharma and Sangha.

Just found out some DVDs about Buddhsim included three jewels not have any closed captions. Please let me know if ya know any. Thanks!

Dharma is not really hard to find. You can find a Dharma book at Barnes & Nobles bookstore. You even can find a very small Dharma book for cheap, or you can find really fancy Dharma. Or you can go to Amazon.com, then type "Dharma", or you can type "Buddha" or "Buddhism", or maybe "Theravada (or Mahayana) Buddhism", I know Amazon have lot of books about Buddhism. I have my very favorite Dharma which have Tibetan and English translated called "Dhammapada" by the Dharma Publishing company. Also I am not sure about the Sangha.

Oh. I learned something new here! I didn't expect there's so many Buddhas, but I know about the Maitreya a "future Buddha".

Good thread here.

I has a little knowledge of Buddhism but I am still interesting to know anything about them... I learn about them in some threads here.

I love about Buddhism style when I was in Sinpagore... It's really beautiful feeling when I visit their temple. I am going to dig some threads where I posted about Buddhism to add links here.

Aww ur lucky that you was in Southeast Asia, I always want to travel there. I was in Japan, that's only country I've touched in Asia. I agree, Hindu/Buddhism are very beautiful religions.

What make ya interested in Buddhism

Ya haven't answer my question.

Thanks for ur suggestion about Dharma. Not that easy to find Sangha that include ASL provided. Hopefully, I could find my friend somewhere thru Deaf event here in Colorado. He's a student at Naropa University. See what happen.

Liebling:)))'s lucky for went there for big experience.

A teacher? Buddhism is another religious that some people look up to, It's another example of "gods" that people worshiped him as the Living God, that's why he called himself "Lord Buddha", He denied the existence of God. He never believed in any God to whom one can pray. Buddha said, "No one is my master." ;)

A teacher? Buddhism is another religious that some people look up to, It's another example of "gods" that people worshiped him as the Living God, that's why he called himself "Lord Buddha", He denied the existence of God. He never believed in any God to whom one can pray. Buddha said, "No one is my master." ;)

You can see yourself the philosophical difference between Christianity and Buddhism.

Christianity and Buddhism - Comparison of Afterlife Beliefs

Christianity is for Soul but Buddhism is for Mind.

You can see yourself the philosophical difference between Christianity and Buddhism.

Christianity and Buddhism - Comparison of Afterlife Beliefs

Christianity is for Soul but Buddhism is for Mind.

Did you read the top of the link you gave me? It says "Comparison of Afterlife Beliefs" You know what "Afterlife" means?

Christians believe in ONE God, while Buddhist philosophers are number of God(s) or mind(s).

Seems like to me, You believe in "many" gods. :x

Did you read the top of the link you gave me? It says "Comparison of Afterlife Beliefs" You know what "Afterlife" means?

Christians believe in ONE God, while Buddhist philosophers are number of God(s) or mind(s).

Yes I have read and didn't ignore it but provide this link here because I find the comparison interesting.

Buddha is lot of good point and awesome teaching, but as for me personally, as christians view and it's true, that mind is part of the battlefield. I like the book of Joyce Meyers called " Battle of the Mind". Yeah, there are many different groups of Buddhist. Most of the teaching from Buddha is similar as christians, but one thing differently, by believing recycle of life, self god and etc, christians doesn't believe, but Sovereign God. The history of Buddha is very interesting also. As Buddha was Hinduism, but left and have of his own.

ONE God mean God is God.

Christianity have their own idols, also. Such as Jesus, a crucifix, and more.

ONE God mean God is God.

That is in catholic uses. We don't worship things, but God Himself. Like Baptist, Methodist, Lutherans and other denominations, we don't dont bow before manmade and also, we don't keep Jesus on the cross, but cross itself as Jesus as been rose from the dead. The point as denominations worship is God Himself.

ONE God mean God is God.

I don't use an images of Jesus such as statue or crucifix or things like that in my house. He is IN MY HEART right here. Jesus is God. Read John 1:1-5. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back