Dragon dictation app

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
My dad just showed me this app. It's not really deaf technology. I think it more for dictating emails, a person could speak and it's turned into text they can then email. But it could be convenient for us. Someone that you're having a hard time understanding, you have go to the app and have them speak and it's turned into text you can read. Then you just close the app, you don't have to send it anywhere. What do you think?

dragon dictator been around for ages. i'd imagine it had improved lots, yes its very useful for 'talking out ideas' to be captured in written form. good for diary writing even!

I really like dragon. It's a great software. Thankfully I type 110 wpm so I don't "need" dictation. With dragon though, I'm able to type about 600 wpm on average (sometimes a bit more, sometimes less) which is awesome.

The trick to dragon is training. constant training to perfect it. The more you use it the more it learns and the easier it is to use. He can use it in much more than just emails though...he can write, create a diary or journal, chat in chatrooms (most support dragon that I've visited), chat in messengers etc...

I had mine trained in various languages (macros) so if I said "spanish-hello" it would type "como estas?" or chinese-hello would be "ni hao ma?" etc...

I had it set up to where I could have decent conversations....with a variety of languages...though it took me quite a while to set up and even then I was limited of what I could say and respond to...but it was still fun.

Don't the users have to use it enough for the voice recognition part of the technology to be successful?

You're absolutely right Tousi, but the practice and training is pretty easy. All you do is read a passage. I would train mine daily, it took all of...5 minutes maybe?

Don't the users have to use it enough for the voice recognition part of the technology to be successful?

Ahh see this is something that would be a problem, and the kind if feedback I was looking for. Because I wasn't thinking of using it the way it's meant to be used. But for other people to use it, especially clients, so I could read what they're saying. I wouldn't actually be using it fir dictating myself.

You could most likely use it like that...It would possibly have a few errors...

One would have to take into account accents, pronunciation, enunciation etc...

I would say give it a try, play with it with a few people and see how it does.

You could most likely use it like that...It would possibly have a few errors...

One would have to take into account accents, pronunciation, enunciation etc...

I would say give it a try, play with it with a few people and see how it does.

Maybe :) the errors might not be a big deal. I could probably figure out what they said within context.

Ahh see this is something that would be a problem, and the kind if feedback I was looking for. Because I wasn't thinking of using it the way it's meant to be used. But for other people to use it, especially clients, so I could read what they're saying. I wouldn't actually be using it fir dictating myself.

That's what I was thinking.....

What I have been thinking of is calling my other phone with a captioning app.

Because of coverage issues in a close to rural area I keep two phones active on different carriers MVNOs. There is one gal in particular in the bunch I run with that I have a lot of trouble understanding. So . . . when the bunch goes to lunch together I have been thinking of calling one phone from the other and handing her the phone I called. I know from using it on true phone calls that the captions are not completely accurate but useful.

I had mine trained in various languages (macros) so if I said "spanish-hello" it would type "como estas?" or chinese-hello would be "ni hao ma?" etc...

Umm... I thought "hello" in Spanish is "hola"? Como estas is "how are you?" in English. Or you're just using marco word "hello" turn into "how are you?" in Spanish?

Umm... I thought "hello" in Spanish is "hola"? Como estas is "how are you?" in English. Or you're just using marco word "hello" turn into "how are you?" in Spanish?

Correct, "hellospanish" was just the trigger. When I tried to do longer ones like "howareyouspanish" it tended to just type it out, so I just used smaller triggers to make it a bit easier. I think maybe I didn't speak fast enough.

My dad just showed me this app. It's not really deaf technology. I think it more for dictating emails, a person could speak and it's turned into text they can then email. But it could be convenient for us. Someone that you're having a hard time understanding, you have go to the app and have them speak and it's turned into text you can read. Then you just close the app, you don't have to send it anywhere. What do you think?

Best app in this case is 'Note Listen for Deaf' .
iTunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/note-listen-for-deaf/id660131784?mt=8
Small Video :
Also you can use 2 devices with 'Deaf Hearing Chat' app system (iOS or Android):

I used app to show my hearing coworkers for communcation. Sad, Dragon still not correct words for diesel technology words like ABS, Cummins, RGN, fuel filter. etc.

I am new to this forum. My dad is nearly deaf and 88 years old. I have been researching for something like these applications for quite a while so this was a nice help for me. I loaded the 'Note Listen for Deaf' (cost was $3.99) and it does work quite well. Words are written quiet large but of course it has its limitations. If the speaker does not speak clearly or if another person nearby is speaking, the translation becomes mumbled. If there is a lot of background noise such as in a crowded room or if a TV is playing, this will also scramble the translation.
The applications for Android are all unacceptable. None work as well as the iphone application.

I hope technology will continue to play a role in helping people with disabilities.

I am new to this forum. My dad is nearly deaf and 88 years old. I have been researching for something like these applications for quite a while so this was a nice help for me. I loaded the 'Note Listen for Deaf' (cost was $3.99) and it does work quite well. Words are written quiet large but of course it has its limitations. If the speaker does not speak clearly or if another person nearby is speaking, the translation becomes mumbled. If there is a lot of background noise such as in a crowded room or if a TV is playing, this will also scramble the translation.
The applications for Android are all unacceptable. None work as well as the iphone application.

I hope technology will continue to play a role in helping people with disabilities.

Dragon Dictation is free in the App store, and I think you can use it when not online. Note Listen for Deaf can't be used when not online.

I wonder how it would if you have trouble saying a word correctly . I could type 60 word per minute in my high school typing class but I am dyslexia and all my words where spelled wrong.

Dragon Dictation is free in the App store, and I think you can use it when not online. Note Listen for Deaf can't be used when not online.
I was not aware that Dragon was free. I know the Dragon Naturally Speaking for PC has a price tag. I will look into this.

I was not aware that Dragon was free. I know the Dragon Naturally Speaking for PC has a price tag. I will look into this.

Well, I just went and looked at both, and it was free when I put it on, but I suppose it's possible I paid for it years ago and forgot I own it...

Back