Research for a product geared towards deaf people!

Something for water running would be nice.
It'd also be nice to have something more generic that plugged in between appliances and the wall outlet that measured the current drawn. When something is on/running it draws more current. You could then have receivers with lights to indicate when something is on/running and turn off when the current drops back down. It also be nice if it flashed when there was a state change to draw attention to the receiver. Receivers should accept signals from multiple sensors and the sensor should be programmable to recognize which currents to trigger on/running and off/not running. The receivers and sensor could also use the electrical wiring for basic network connectivity instead of radio or RF, although optional ability to interface with text messaging (if it can interface with home network) or portable unit would be nice for outdoors. Sensors that screw into light sockets would also be useful for knowing that a motion sensor light was tripped outside.

The Chinese have made a device that plugs into taps and lights up the water if it's on. Good for people with bad eyesight too. Also doesn't need batteries because it's powered by the running water.

Unfortunately it suffers from bad QC, so it's pretty iffy. If someone in a country that cares more about QC could make one, that'd be good :)

Left water running from a faucet...

I have been seeking for any kind of solution for this kind of situation. My husband and I are deaf. We have four deaf children. We have been having problem leaving water running from a faucet. Often one of us forgot to turn it off after washing hands, and etc. Once a while, my two years old would on purpose leave it running. (Yes, I told her many time not to do that.). Is there some kind of notification if the water is left on more than three mins? We are in desperate for the solution. Checking all faucets before bed isn't always the solution. My kids wake up in middle of night using bathroom, then washing their hands while we were sleeping. If any company create a solution for this, please let me know...I will definitely buy it! I purchased Hue and it is deaf friendly. If there is something notification could go to Hue that it will use a specific light to let me know that the water from a faucet has been running way too long, that would be ideal! I know I'm not the only one who experience this kind of problem.

I have been seeking for any kind of solution for this kind of situation. My husband and I are deaf. We have four deaf children. We have been having problem leaving water running from a faucet. Often one of us forgot to turn it off after washing hands, and etc. Once a while, my two years old would on purpose leave it running. (Yes, I told her many time not to do that.). Is there some kind of notification if the water is left on more than three mins? We are in desperate for the solution. Checking all faucets before bed isn't always the solution. My kids wake up in middle of night using bathroom, then washing their hands while we were sleeping. If any company create a solution for this, please let me know...I will definitely buy it! I purchased Hue and it is deaf friendly. If there is something notification could go to Hue that it will use a specific light to let me know that the water from a faucet has been running way too long, that would be ideal! I know I'm not the only one who experience this kind of problem.

Amazon has few products that has LED light on the faucet when turned on. That might help notice that the water is running.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3-color-Water-Faucet-Temperature-Sensor/dp/B00563OEEY[/ame]

Hate to say it, but there are already products out that detects and alarm of leaks. Nothing new there.

Hate to say it, but there are already products out that detects and alarm of leaks. Nothing new there.

I a know a better device the 'brain'. A pipe had a slow leak in my basement last winter and it was leaving a spot on the floor at first I thought some spilled some water . The next time I went to the basement the spot was still there and I looked up and saw the leak . The pipe been leaking for a week or longer and no one thought to see where the water was coming from. The leak was right next to someone bin too and he did nothing.

Just for a sink, these sensor faucets are not very expensive, and would solve the problem since it turns off when not being triggered.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/LAYKOR-Automatic-Touch-Free-Lavatory-Bathroom/dp/B00974I4FS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411404696&sr=8-1&keywords=sensor+faucet[/ame]

It's not very hi-tech, but my dog is very good at number 2. I'm just glad he goes number 2 outside.

I went a bank that gave cookies to people dogs and I told the teller my dog wanted to made a withdrawal and she said " I am glad he does not want to made a deposit too" LOL!

When I had this issue, I thought to myself: why bother addressing the symptom (leaving the faucet running), when I can address the actual problem? I bought touchless faucets for the bathrooms. The water only runs when your hand is in front of the sensor, so it is impossible to walk away and forget to turn it off.

As a bonus, it also helped my wife. She has really bad arthritis in her hands and was having a lot of difficulty turning the handles on and off on the old faucets. Now, there's no handles to turn. It works for both of us.

When I had this issue, I thought to myself: why bother addressing the symptom (leaving the faucet running), when I can address the actual problem? I bought touchless faucets for the bathrooms. The water only runs when your hand is in front of the sensor, so it is impossible to walk away and forget to turn it off.

As a bonus, it also helped my wife. She has really bad arthritis in her hands and was having a lot of difficulty turning the handles on and off on the old faucets. Now, there's no handles to turn. It works for both of us.

How do you change the temperature of the water?

touchless faucet doesn't mean there's nothing on it. it does have lever/knob/etc like ordinary faucet and it can be turned on either way.

but for one without anything... there is a button or whatever in there that you can change temp. I saw one that is equipped with touchless sensor on both side to change temp. for ie - if you wave your hand on left side.... it will make water hotter.... and colder on right side. IMO - just plain dang silly and I dismissed it as "one of those stupid rich people things"

I do like hospital style - a foot lever to turn on sink.

New Technology is here already, and it has its serious potential, especially for Deaf and HoH. Yup, I have em and playing around with... Its CHAMP, even that it is not at where we would like it to be but it is coming closer to reality. Soon, I will have to phase out my own designed Deaf alert system cause it only produce single color with few different flashing patterns. A very reliable system, never had issue with them for almost 20 years. Now new technology called Phillips friends of HUE. Its software controlled, can be used with virtually anything! You name it, it will work. This includes leak detection, carbon monoxide alarm, smoke alarm, Videophone, even wake up alarm sure! Cooking timer or timer for anything, You got E mail, incoming text relay call, even appointment reminder, eh? They can be programmed as fading changing color, flashing, etc. It got millions different color to choose for any surrounding events. I even set up room temperature alert for my wood stove downstairs and it will alert me if the room gets too hot, how convenient is it? Few times, I cook meals, and set timer and got VP call, had conversation until the light changes its color, I knew my food is ready, but the terp on VRS have no clue cause no flashing, just nice slight change of color. Plus much more, because it is programmable though software.

Wanna get idea what I am talking about? Look at www.convorelay.com and check "Convo lights".

The only problem is that it is fairly new products, and the prices for these products is fairly steep, the trade off is that it would work with pretty much anything and don't need to buy separate alert device for each events that you want to be alert of.

Im exciting about this new concept! I see LED as Deaf friendly products.

There is shower head doing the same thing and it is just a function, not turn on or off but changing color and when the temperature is above safe temperature, it will illuminate red. No batteries since it is generate by flow of water and these dang LED lights needs tweety tiny amount of energy to illuminate.

touchless faucet doesn't mean there's nothing on it. it does have lever/knob/etc like ordinary faucet and it can be turned on either way.

but for one without anything... there is a button or whatever in there that you can change temp. I saw one that is equipped with touchless sensor on both side to change temp. for ie - if you wave your hand on left side.... it will make water hotter.... and colder on right side. IMO - just plain dang silly and I dismissed it as "one of those stupid rich people things"

My faucet has a small lever at the base - move it forward for hotter water, backwards for colder water. I just leave it somewhere in the middle - and I've only moved it once in the last 6 months.

If cat jumped on the sink and walked by the faucet couldn't he turn the water on too ? I keep thinking cat could turn the water on all day to play in it. I would not want a touch less faucet.

If cat jumped on the sink and walked by the faucet couldn't he turn the water on too ? I keep thinking cat could turn the water on all day to play in it. I would not want a touch less faucet.

lol!!!

Back