Verizon change to reduce speed for grandfathered plan

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're clinging to your grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan, here's some bad news. Starting October 1, Verizon will throttle LTE speeds for heavy data users who enter high-volume areas. As GigaOm points out, this means Verizon will privilege users who pay for their data per gigabyte over their customers who use unlimited plans. And this means your data service is going to fall apart in certain areas if you're on an unlimited plan and you're in the top five percent of data users.

Bad News for Verizon's Heavy Data Users: You'll Be Throttled This Fall

Starting October 1, Verizon Will Include Unlimited 4G LTE Customers in “Network Optimization” | Droid Life

I hope to keep my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan to exchange new iPhone 6 this fall.

Verizon is changing their voicemail too. I got a message telling me " to listen to the message carefully as it will not be repeated. I was like WTF ! I have to use Verizon handicap phone # b/c I am hoh and get a messages that can't be listen to more than one time. I was not able to save it on voicemail .

I hope to keep my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan to exchange new iPhone 6 this fall.

If you will be signing a new contract when you upgrade to the iPhone 6, you won't be able to keep the grandfathered unlimited plan.

Doesn't surprise me, but if that's the case if they eliminate unlimited plan. I probably won't worry about it as I don't travel often and mostly use WIFI at home. I have no issues with Verizon so far and probably gonna stick around at least a good while.

Doesn't surprise me, but if that's the case if they eliminate unlimited plan. I probably won't worry about it as I don't travel often and mostly use WIFI at home. I have no issues with Verizon so far and probably gonna stick around at least a good while.

Same here. I use wifi at home and at work. When I bought my new phone they showed me my usage chart and it was only about 14% of what I could have used under the normal 2 gb plan, it was a no brainer to just sign up for the 2 gb plan at the exact same cost as the grandfathered plan since they said I could not have that anymore, anyway. Wasn't even close to maxing out my usage.

The only thing I can get 2-3gb in a month is when I go out on vacation and using hotspot. I don't think I'd have issues if I am on 2gb data plan.

Yes if you go for a NEW contract which means your current/old contract will be going bye bye. New contract doesn't have unlimited plan at Verizon anymore.

Not true.

Verizon (VZ, Tech30) is bringing back an unlimited data plan.

Starting Monday, Verizon customers can get unlimited data, talk and text for $80.

The company says the new introductory plan also includes up to 10 GB of mobile hotspot usage, as well as calling and texting to Mexico and Canada. It will also allow customers to stream unlimited HD video, thumbing its nose at T-Mobile's controversial practice of lowering video quality for some of its unlimited data customers.

Although the new Verizon plan promises "fast LTE speeds," those using a lot of data may suffer. The company said that after a customer uses 22 gb of data on a line during any billing cycle, it "may prioritize usage behind other customers in the event of network congestion." That has become standard practice on all networks that offer unlimited data plans.

Verizon first eliminated its version of an unlimited usage plan in 2011, following similar decisions by other major wireless carriers.

But companies have been steadily reviving such plans.

Verizon first overhauled its data-usage plans last summer when it introduced a new "Safety Mode" plan. That technically gave customers access to unlimited data, but they were subjected to slow-as-molasses speeds after they went over their allotted data.

AT&T similarly eliminated overage fees for customers in September. Like Verizon, AT&T throttles customers speeds once they reach the data limit on their plans. The company brought back unlimited plans earlier last year, but it is only available for homes with both AT&T's wireless phone service and either DirecTV or U-Verse TV.

Meanwhile, competitors T-Mobile (TMUS) and Sprint (S) made their own bids to attract customers looking for "unlimited data" plans.

Last August, Sprint began offering a plan to give customers unlimited talk, text and high-speed data for $60 for the first line, $40 for the next, and $30 for each additional up to 10.

The T-Mobile plan, announced the same day as Sprint's, charged $70 a month for the first line, the second at $50 and additional lines are only $20, up to eight lines.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/12/technology/verizon-unlimited-data-plan/index.html

Back