Police: Man With HIV Didn't Tell Partner

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Man, Woman Met In Night Club, Had Sex For Months, Police Say

POSTED: Wednesday, July 7, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A man with HIV had sex for several months with a woman he met at a night club but never told her he had the virus, according to Jacksonville police.

Police said Ernest Ricks met the woman two years ago.

According to a police report, the victim contacted police and let them know "she had no knowledge of his deadly disease" and that she found out she was HIV positive from a yearly exam.

The report says, "She immediately told the suspect about the disease, and he acted as though it was OK and told her he must have it, too, since they'd been sexually active together for the past few months."

On Sunday, police found Ricks at the same night club where the two met and took him to the Duval County Jail to be interviewed.

Ricks told police he didn't tell the victim he had the HIV virus, which he's had for the last 11 years, according to the report, and that he "used a condom every time he had sex with her, that is, until she told him she was HIV positive."

According to the report, the victim didn't know she had HIV until December 2008, but police said she didn't report her situation to authorities until February of this year, more than a year later. It's not clear why she waited.

Family law attorney Mark Green said knowingly or intentionally passing on a sexually transmitted disease is a crime that will lead to jail time.

Green said it happens more often than most people might think, especially in spousal relationships.

Green said in this case, Ricks faces a felony charge because it's dealing with HIV or AIDS. With other STDs, Green said the punishment is a misdemeanor charge or up to a year in jail.

He said victims can also sue for damages and for the cost of the medical prescriptions or medical care.

Green said if Ricks is convicted of the third-degree felony, he could face a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Police: Man With HIV Didn't Tell Partner - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

I have to say while I do think that there are many people with HIV who are responsible about not spreading the virus, there are a small amount who are BEYOND irresponsible.
We really need to put the ones who are irresponsible about spreading the virus in prison hospitals, and give them very minimal care.
We shouldn't deny meds. But on the other hand......It's just REALLY frustrating that there are VERY irresponsible Typhoid Marys out there, who are spreading the virus...we COULD do something to stop it.....but we get protests "oh that's homophobic, oh it discriminates against poor people or people in prison etc.
HIV is completely 100% avoidable......and the thing is .....it IS very expensive. We need to stop it somehow.

Ricks told police he didn't tell the victim he had the HIV virus, which he's had for the last 11 years, according to the report, and that he "used a condom every time he had sex with her, that is, until she told him she was HIV positive."

Both of their stories aren't adding up.

I agree with this!! Aids make person very suffer!

I heard of the news sometime ago about a guy that had Aid and he spitted in someone face , the guy was arrested for trying to kill the other person as he knew he had Aid.

That reminds me of a black guy who has HIV but had sex with over 25-30 women over in Washington state few years ago. He's in jail for a long time now, I think.

If she waited that long, it may be due to psychological shock and in denial. Embarrassment and all sorts of emotional & mental thrashing going on inside of her.

Unfortunately crystal balls and mind reading don't exist for us to get easy and rational answers.

What bugs me is why is he being charged with a misdemeanor instead of a felony? This is attempted murder and if she dies before him, that should be upgraded to murder.

Yiz

Back