Would you be buried at sea?

I read that this is on the rise and wonder if this could be why more sharks are coming around. I guess it could be cheaper than buy a plot ,maybe I will have my daughter dump my ashes at sea.

TCS and I are eligible for burial at sea but we're not going to do it. TCS has attended a couple of burials at sea.

I do plan to have my ashes thrown into the Ocean....as when I lived on the Beach it was the happiest time of my Life....

It is a good idea to spread the ashes into the water like lakes, oceans, rivers or lands, even ponds.

I would like someone to spread my ashes into the bush or forest. I would be happy to return on the grounds in the forest. I would not want to be bury under the grounds like 5 feet under. No, thank you.

There are requirements we have to follow and each state mostly have their own requirements . There was a burial at sea in my city , bet some people bury their dogs at sea when no one around.

For me, it's important to have some place to go visit my relatives who have passed on. I like spending time at my dads grave site. I had my sons ashes scattered in the church garden. We went to visit and the whole garden had been dug up. Felt like he died all over again. I do love the beach though....I guess it would be up to my children what they would feel comfortable with.

For me, it's important to have some place to go visit my relatives who have passed on. I like spending time at my dads grave site. I had my sons ashes scattered in the church garden. We went to visit and the whole garden had been dug up. Felt like he died all over again. I do love the beach though....I guess it would be up to my children what they would feel comfortable with.

My daughter was telling about tree for ashes , you put the ashes in a cup and plant it . She thought of doing this with some of my ashes. I told her she could me for firewood when she get cold. :giggle:

My daughter was telling about tree for ashes , you put the ashes in a cup and plant it . She thought of doing this with some of my ashes. I told her she could me for firewood when she get cold. :giggle:

You made me laugh....pretty funny. I wish I would have saved my sons ashes or at least some of them since we don't live near the church anymore.

You made me laugh....pretty funny. I wish I would have saved my sons ashes or at least some of them since we don't live near the church anymore.

That has to be hard not living near the church anymore. Sorry you lost your son . :(

I'm sorry you lost your son, Angel...

I guess being Hindu, after cremation, I would have the option of being dispersed at sea in Corpus Christi Bay, or being sent off to the Ganga River in India (also known as the Ganges River) to be dispersed there.

I'm sorry you lost your son, Angel...

I guess being Hindu, after cremation, I would have the option of being dispersed at sea in Corpus Christi Bay, or being sent off to the Ganga River in India (also known as the Ganges River) to be dispersed there.

My younger sister's husband is from Trinidad and part Hindu too , he will be cremated too. My sister when to Trinidad when her father in law die for his cremation .

Each people has their own preference what they want to end up upon death.. burial, cremate and what to do with the ashes. It'd have to be written in a living will so the next of kin will know what the person wishes to do with the body.

True, cremation and scatter the ashes may be cheaper, caskets is not cheap and I wouldn't know the cost to bury at sea compared to burial at the cemetery. One of these days the cemetery plots will run out of space. It may be best time to purchase a plot ahead of time if you prefer to be bury in the future.

Is there a reason you not doing it ?

For the same reason that Angel stated, a place to visit.

I witnessed an at sea burial back around 1973. We received a submersible casket with an American flag over it from a funeral home. It was delivered to pier side and was placed in the hanger. If I remember correctly, a family member was aboard. We got underway and went out into international waters and had the ceremony with honor guard. After returning to shore, the family member was given a chart with the exact coordinates of the burial location.

Around 1980, I did not see the second one since I was on duty elsewhere in the ship, but ashes were brought aboard and since we were not coming right back in, the ceremony was held on the stern and documented with video and a chart. Later it was mailed to the family.

It is free to all veterans. Just like burial in a national cemetery.

Last edited:
For the same reason that Angel stated, a place to visit.

I witnessed an at sea burial back around 1973. We received a submersible casket with an American flag over it from a funeral home. It was delivered to pier side and was placed in the hanger. If I remember correctly, a family member was aboard. We got underway and went out into international waters and had the ceremony with honor guard. After returning to shore, the family member was given a chart with the exact coordinates of the burial location.

Around 1980, I did not see the second one since I was on duty elsewhere in the ship, but ashes were brought aboard and since we were not coming right back in, the ceremony was held on the stern and documented with video and a chart. Later it was mailed to the family.

It is free to all veterans. Just like burial in a national cemetery.

I was thinking b/c you wanted a place to go visit . I don't think my family had with the cost my dad's funeral , he was in WW1 and army . He did have a flag on his coffin , he wanted to be cremated but being Jewish it was not allowed.

@ Calvin , That is why I want to be cremated, to save land , I see no reason for me using land when I am dead . Let the livings use it. I was wondering what people thought about being buried at b/c there was one in my city. I know there is no wrong way to be buried as long as it legal . You don't tie a cement block around a body and dump it in the ocean .

I want ashes in a nice urn or any kind of unique container, and put on a shelf. When and if my daughter moves she can just bring the folks along, no need to go and visit a slab of granite somewhere.

I want ashes in a nice urn or any kind of unique container, and put on a shelf. When and if my daughter moves she can just bring the folks along, no need to go and visit a slab of granite somewhere.
My mother's ashes are in a nice container, like a granite box. The box sits on a bookshelf in my brother's apartment, and is guarded by his Star Trek action figures. What can I say?

Back