Should I upgrade to Yosemite?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have Lion 10.7.5 on my MacBookPro.

Are there any problems with Yosemite?

Is it compatible with MS Office for Macs 2011?

Are there any other compatibility issues?

How's the Safari performance?

You need to go to Apple's web site to confirm the models that will accept Yosemite for the online update, because they go by model numbers and even build dates. If it's anything over 4-5 years old, don't consider upgrading because it would be slow. Just to launch Mail and click on a message in the Inbox, and have it show its content in the email can take 32 seconds. It is almost like using a Windows emulator on a Mac and running Windows software. You're literally running two computers and software intended for a different platform in that situation, though my situation is not quite that bad, but it is irritating.

You will have to check with MS for compatibility. They can tell you if it is or not, because they are the one who wrote the code and coordinated with Apple (or didn't) regarding compatibility.

As far as I know, if you have an Android phone, you still can't hook up the phone to your computer for data transfer. You'd have to email everything from the phone to the computer and back, or dig out the data card after dismantling the Otter Box and put the card in a USB reader.

Safari has always been slow on my computer, and it's even worse in speed. You have to remember that later versions of the OS use more recent processors and has code to take advantage of the speed increases, which the older computer has to deal with at the expense of speed. I wish they would quit updating the OS and just focus on bug patching as well as security patching. I will definitely not be upgrading beyond Yosemity on this computer. It would be like running 80286 software on a 8088 machine with no turbo mode and on floppy drives only. No thanks. I wish I had the money to upgrade to the faster computers with the Retina displays, which literally looks like you are looking at a photograph-quality image of the world instead of a computer-generated image where you can see the pixels up close. Reading text with a Retina display is like reading a physical book. It would be well worth the upgrade if I had the money.

Neither my father nor brother has upgraded to Yosemite. Not sure if niece did or not on her laptop.

Most of yosemite is stuff that my father would have no use for-- things related to mobile/tablet/cloud technology. I have read that there has been issues with wifi connectivity with Yosemite though.

To say the least- this household is holding off as long as possible. Dad didn't even like Maverick either.

You need to go to Apple's web site to confirm the models that will accept Yosemite for the online update, because they go by model numbers and even build dates. If it's anything over 4-5 years old, don't consider upgrading because it would be slow. . .
I had already checked the Apple site for requirements for the update. My computer's new enough but just barely. That's why I'm not sure it would be worth it. It's like wrecking a car and trying to decide whether it's worth fixing or totaling. It could go either way.

As far as I know, if you have an Android phone, you still can't hook up the phone to your computer for data transfer. You'd have to email everything from the phone to the computer and back, or dig out the data card after dismantling the Otter Box and put the card in a USB reader.
I do have an Android phone but transferring data isn't an issue for me; I don't often need it.

Safari has always been slow on my computer, and it's even worse in speed.
I'm getting the spinning beach ball (waiting, waiting) too often now when I'm browsing. I don't like that.

. . . I wish I had the money to upgrade to the faster computers with the Retina displays . . . It would be well worth the upgrade if I had the money.
I know what you mean. $$$$$$

I upgraded Yosemite on my work 27" iMac (2011), and I don't have any issue with it, including Office 2011 and along with VMware Fusion 7 running Win 7.

It just run little slower and I need more ram because of my VM.

Overall, not that bad.

I have a Mini running Yosemite 10.10.2. I can't say that I have had any specific problems per se, for a very long time, but there are things I don't like -- especially the merger of Safari with search engines. I do not like the idea of three search engines following me.

If you have Lion and like it keep it. Save your money for a new Mac, or build a hack. Save all your work to DVDs and reformat it. It should run a little faster, etc..

I have Lion 10.7.5 on my MacBookPro.

Are there any problems with Yosemite?

Is it compatible with MS Office for Macs 2011?

Are there any other compatibility issues?

How's the Safari performance?

Never had it

I've never had issues with WiFi and Mac. What I have had in the past is 3 years of issues with routers and CenturyLink telephone company. It does not support Mac, and it uses old MS software. I must have had 5 or 6 routers before I finally bought an ASUS 'N' router. It was like the calf bawling for its mother. Once I plugged it in, all the silliness stopped, and the calf was content. I haven't had any trouble since with and Internet connections. Both of my Macs are wireless and so is my hack. I can run my machine in any configuration.

Neither my father nor brother has upgraded to Yosemite. Not sure if niece did or not on her laptop.

Most of yosemite is stuff that my father would have no use for-- things related to mobile/tablet/cloud technology. I have read that there has been issues with wifi connectivity with Yosemite though.

To say the least- this household is holding off as long as possible. Dad didn't even like Maverick either.

Back