Anyone heard about.....

rockin'robin

Reaction score
a d/Deaf Protest scheduled in Washington this September?...Misplaced the article.....

What is the protest about?
Something about the ADA law and language rights being lost relating to ASL.
I saw a vlog on FB about it (only in ASL, no captions- if anyone wants to see it I can see if I can post it here).

yep the second link Sheri posted is the one I saw (Marion Rich's video), friend of mine in AL posted it.

I found one that does have captions- the FB page is full of vlogs regarding the protest- All are ASL (I think very few if any have voice over or captions)
https://www.facebook.com/thedeafsociety/videos/980352415336320/

unemployment? Seems to be about the right to appropriate accommodation (including language -->ASL) in employment as well as discrimination in getting employment (being turned down for jobs that one is qualified for etc) or promotions.

The dates I've seen are September 5-7.

I have Marion signed about her experience getting a job and then later she wanted to get the promotion after working for a long time. She went to her supervisor and asked if she can get promote to another good job with good pay. The supervisor told her "No". She was shocked at her refusal right away. She did not like being turned down. Finally she talked with her co-worker about what the supervisor told her that she is not going to get promoted. Supervisor said "No". Her co-worker told her to fight for her right to get promoted for better job and raise her salary. Finally she got ADA to help her and she was happy that she get promoted and everything is fine.

But then she said that she noticed that a lot of Deaf people were having a hard time finding jobs and being turned down a lot. She was concerned about why hearing people reject them when they need work or job, even career. Most of the Deaf people were frustrated and not happy finding jobs. If there is interview, they need ASL interpreters to help them understand between the interviewer and the person who look for work. Also it is important that they need ASL interpreters for meetings. They relied on ASL because it is easier to understand than trying to lipread which is not good. You get lost in lipreading anyway. So that is why they are having a protest on September 5 and 6 at the White House probably not far from Gallaudet University.

That is the reason why Marion wanted us to spread the news through all Deaf people. So please fight discrimination, not protect discrimination. We don't want to be discriminate by hearing people no matter where we are like schools, colleges, and workplaces. We want our Deaf rights just like on the list of other hearing rights. So don't give up ASL or ignore ASL. So please spread to all Deaf people all over United States and probably Canada. Fight for our Deaf rights!!!!

But then she said that she noticed that a lot of Deaf people were having a hard time finding jobs and being turned down a lot. She was concerned about why hearing people reject them when they need work or job, even career. Most of the Deaf people were frustrated and not happy finding jobs.

Bebonang,

You mentioned language being a barrier in finding jobs through lack of interpreters or inability of hearing people to communicate with them. I'm an example of someone with full speech capability and very good reception skills (oral deaf), and yet, I couldn't find a job that I would want to do to save my life.

I struggled my whole life to find something I wanted to do. I have too much baggage from my childhood that is blocking me currently (which I am attempting to resolve through my Hindu spiritual adviser). I did office jobs and retail jobs for over 25 years, and I got severely burned out on it just from the boredom and the extensive public contact with customers in my last "mundane" job (mundane meaning outside of the renaissance faire world). I could not move into areas I wanted to try, even when I was more suited for the duties than the other person was, and she was far more suited for working the sales floor, i.e., because she could nail co-op membership sales and could work with customers a lot better than I could, and yet, they left me hanging in a difficult position. Finally, I had enough and quit two years ago.

Now, after coming to the renaissance faire circuit, I'm finding that the job market is even WORSE, because these people are just like the "modern" counterparts who won't let me become a trade apprentice, AND you can usually find a job only through worker attrition through getting fired, quitting to go back into the modern world, or getting arrested for something (high numbers of individuals with personal issues that lead to criminal activities). You can't just expand a faire just because someone wants a booth, because land is limited (they don't have the ability to take away land like states and local government does), and space is limited within the faire grounds by density limitations. Here you REALLY, REALLY have to know the people.

After two years, the best I could do was being a bar back in a pub for several events, a ticket hawker for one of the animal rides, and (ugh) a dishwasher in a meat-cooking kitchen at another faire, which was my last job at faire this year.

I have decided that if I am not successful in landing an apprenticeship by the start of Texas Renaissance Festival this fall so that I can work to make stock (products for booths to sell to faire goers) instead of working onsite, I will have to let it go and find something else to do through my Hindu community or leave behind the householder stage of my life (retire fully) and instead devote my life to service within the Hindu world, as I feel that the western world does not deserve my mind, my hands, nor my body as a minion for their aims of world conquest, and they have a lack of spiritual education and proper respect for everything. I feel that Dharmic civilization (people from India, Nepal, etc.) is far more deserving of using my skills and abilities to help further a way of life that provides answers to today's problems.

I have learned that my unemployment situation is not something that I can change in the western world, given my experience as a deaf person and my age, BUT I will change what I can in other ways, and know the difference so that I can maximize the time I have left on this world. Also, moving into the retirement stage of my life will allow me to prepare myself for renunciation of the world and devoting myself to spiritual advancement to reach the final goal in my life at the final stage of my life (the stage of spiritual advancement).

Wish I were able to go...and hopefully, some AD members will join the protest....

And back in my day (Newspaper employee)...I did get one promotion (from News to Advertising)...but that was as far as I was "allowed" to go...MY boss kept saying how much he needed me in his department...Which was entirely bull ****. I kept trying every time an opening came up, but my Boss blocked it (would not let me go)....I resented it for years...

Feel most deafies want to work...get off SSI...It's the Government that holds them back and employers not wanting to hire them....even those with a College education!

Also, I resent people saying..."oh you were so lucky to have a good job"....Lucky because I was deaf????....Let me say I worked hard and trained for a job...luck might have had a little to do with it...But...it was a fight to even get my foot in the door, (Florida Times-Union) even with 5 years experience at another "small" Newspaper in NC....

Younger deafies are going to have to stand up and fight...for what's rightly theirs....if Protesting and Marches call for this, then so be it....Black people have come a long way with this route.....even tho' it's taken years and years...

I would love to go to Washington, D.C., but I don't have enough fund or money to make the trip to White House for the protest. I am poor. I don't have a job, either. So I am stuck here. Wish we are all wealthy or millionaires (lottery winners). :lol:

Seriously, it would be great to have many d/Deaf people protesting for their Deaf rights to the White House. Go for it. Good luck. :thumb:

trying think of away you can go beb is anyone on here going you could meet share petrol costs church funding deaf charity...If I lived in U.S I would take you myself...Is it poss anyone got air miles give you some....It do seem unfair

:lol: Who is Charlton La Chase?
He need to gather some deaf stars like Marlee Matlin, John Maucere, few others to join him to do some advertisement, for sure all deaf over the world will show up on September 6-7th. Seems like his protest idea is not appealing. :hmm:

Back