High school valedictorian is GAY during graduate speech and told parents shocking!

Find it ironic that he had not told his parents or anyone...just wanted to announce it at school when he made his Valedictorian speech. Feel it's personal and the school speech was not the place to announce this....sort of like "BTW...I'm Gay!"....well....whoopee!...There are many gay teenagers, he's no exception....Maybe he wanted attention and a round of applause?.....

Find it ironic that he had not told his parents or anyone...just wanted to announce it at school when he made his Valedictorian speech. Feel it's personal and the school speech was not the place to announce this....sort of like "BTW...I'm Gay!"....well....whoopee!...There are many gay teenagers, he's no exception....Maybe he wanted attention and a round of applause?.....
Gay and bi teens are treated as not of the norm. It doesn't matter to some people that there are many gay and bi teens, it just matters to them that these teens are going against the norm and against whatever values they've been taught. Announcing it during his Valedictorian speech was a brave choice-- by doing so he risked losing his parents' support, losing his friends, and such. And he got no applause for adding this to his speech. What he did get was his speech taken away from him and the choice to come out to his parents taken away from him. Giving a speech at graduation is such an honor, and it was taken away from him because he wished to share his true self. I am a gay and transgender teen, and I will be giving a speech in the spring as Valedictorian. Should they come up to me and tell me I am unable to present my speech simply because of my sexual and gender orientations it would be discriminatory.

How many valedictorian speeches do not reveal some part of a students identity to the rest or the class or jokes about past issues only to say that they made it through he was telling a long hidden truth to open peoples minds that would have been inspiring BUT this school decided to sweep him under the rug and with hold his award there are so many things wrong with this it's infuriating!

Back