I can hear and I can't sign but I want to !

evilrose

Reaction score
hi my name is Alejandra I am Latina living in Los Angeles. I went to fairfax high school, I'm 27 and I would love to be a part of the deaf culture !

the only ASL I know is thanks to Switched at birth which has been my, long overdue, inspiration and motivation to want the opportunity to meet and be a part of this community. I hope many of you will give me a chance!ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1438413759.737589.jpg I'm the one with her mouth opened :D lol

Welcome to AllDeaf, Alejandra!
If you wish to understand the Deaf Community, you will have to work hard to learn ASL.

I'm a white guy and I grew up in the suburbs of a northeastern city. I have never been poor, and I have never known discrimination. Imagine if I announced that I want to become a part of the Latino community in LA...oh yeah...I don't speak spanish or know any Latino people. This is pretty much the same position you are in with the Deaf Community. The same advice you might give me in my quest to become an accepted member of your communuty, is the same advice I give you in your desire to approach the Deaf Community. Learn ASL to the very best of your ability. You will need to take classes, and you will need to practice ASL with native signers. In the same way that I can't learn spanish without speaking spanish with people who are fluent, you need to communicate in ASL in order to learn ASL. You also need to learn about the culture and its social norms. You may find many similarities between the dD/hh world and the culures of immigrants in the US. While there are many people willing to help you, you will have a lot of work to do on your own.

Good luck,
Michael

Welcome to AllDeaf, Alejandra!
If you wish to understand the Deaf Community, you will have to work hard to learn ASL.

I'm a white guy and I grew up in the suburbs of a northeastern city. I have never been poor, and I have never known discrimination. Imagine if I announced that I want to become a part of the Latino community in LA...oh yeah...I don't speak spanish or know any Latino people. This is pretty much the same position you are in with the Deaf Community. The same advice you might give me in my quest to become an accepted member of your communuty, is the same advice I give you in your desire to approach the Deaf Community. Learn ASL to the very best of your ability. You will need to take classes, and you will need to practice ASL with native signers. In the same way that I can't learn spanish without speaking spanish with people who are fluent, you need to communicate in ASL in order to learn ASL. You also need to learn about the culture and its social norms. You may find many similarities between the dD/hh world and the culures of immigrants in the US. While there are many people willing to help you, you will have a lot of work to do on your own.

Good luck,
Michael

thank you Michael. I figured as much honestly I have never met anyone that is dD/HH and yes I know about the little d and "D" I have a lil bit about the culture and community here. and I am do want to learn as much as I can. I only introduced my self the way I did because well... just like this community I am also from a community that has know prejudice, judgement, and have been pushed to the side because of where I live and what culture I am from. so Michael I ask you to take my introduction as more of a friendly talk rather than just someone that has no idea what she just said because I knew exactly what I said :) and as for ASL like I said I will learn but I also would like to learn as I'm meeting people only because I'm a better learner that way!

hi rose unusual name..some Deaf people let you have few days with them have intense ASL it a way of earning few pennies and see what like in domestic situation IT One of the things I did when learning BSL..There deaf clubs and one thing leads to another...Don't be shy as said above it not only ASL you got try understand Deaf culture as not every deaf person signs

hi rose unusual name..some Deaf people let you have few days with them have intense ASL it a way of earning few pennies and see what like in domestic situation IT One of the things I did when learning BSL..There deaf clubs and one thing leads to another...Don't be shy as said above it not only ASL you got try understand Deaf culture as not every deaf person signs

hi caz! thank you for your reply! i really appreciated it. there is so much for me to learn i am excited and hope to find peope like you ti become friends with and that have the patience to be my friends!

I was born in Connecticut, now live in South Carolina, and lived many other places in between.

thats awesome i was born and raise in california but got to visit a few places when i joind americorps for a year of service!

Back