Heat index in Iran hits staggering 163 degrees

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Bandar Mahshahr, Iran, soared to a staggering heat index of 163 degrees Friday afternoon as a heat wave continued to bake the Middle East, already one of the hottest places on earth.

"That was one of the most incredible temperature observations I have ever seen, and it is one of the most extreme readings ever in the world," AccuWeather meteorologist Anthony Sagliani said in a statement.

While the temperature was "only" 115 degrees, the dew point was an unfathomable 90 degrees. On Thursday, the Iranian city of about 100,000 reached a heat index of 154 degrees. The combination of heat and humidity, measured by the dew point, is what makes the heat index — or what the temperature actually feels like outside.

"A strong ridge of high pressure has persisted over the Middle East through much of July, resulting in the extreme heat wave in what many would consider one of the hottest places in the world," Sagliani said

Baghdad sweltered to its all-time record high on Thursday when temperatures soared to 124 degrees, AccuWeather reported. The heat was so bad that Iraq's Council of Ministers declared a four-day mandatory holiday throughout the country starting Thursday.

Little relief is in the forecast. "The ridge of high pressure will remain in place across the Middle East through at least the next week, so more oppressive heat and humidity, and more astounding apparent temperatures, are likely through the next several days," Sagliani said.

Along with the Red Sea coast of Ethiopia and the Gulf of Aden coast of Somalia, the Persian Gulf region is known for a fierce combination of heat and humidity, according to the book Extreme Weather by Christopher Burt. Sea water temperatures there can be in the upper 80s and low 90s, he writes, so the ocean "has no cooling effect on coastal communities and provides an ample source of moisture in the form of humidity."

Though not an official record, the highest heat index ever recorded was in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, Burt writes, when it hit 178 degrees in July 2003

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/weather/2015/07/31/heat-index-iran-163-degrees/30933451/

Wow... suddenly, it feel so much cooler now lol

7qNJHiM.gif

What may seem odd is that we're (Cleveland TX) just a little bit south of Iran, and yet, where there's lots of moisture and vegetation in the rural areas, it stays cool at night, and I have the windows open at night. In the mornings, I go walk/sprint, and I don't come back sweaty at all, only in the evening walk about an hour from full sunset does that happen.

My guess is, they don't have enough trees and vegetation out there to hold the moisture in the way it's held here. Dry ground with no trees absorb heat a LOT faster than a forest does. Even on my way back to the house on my walk, I can feel the difference between a shaded area and the area of the road with no trees blocking the morning sun. Feels like an 8-10-degree difference!

Desertification of the world is something I've thought about a lot.

How many people died at 163°? A lot of them, wondering why it's not reported.

This is the main reason why if you see a pool, don't jump in...the water is just as hot....

And many don't have AC in IRAN nether. Very hot in the house

I believe that Iran is more drier and their houses are designed to be heat resistant without need AC.

In old time, southern homes were designed to be heat resistant.

Fox ask people here who are from Texas that get high heat there. They need AC in Texas.

Fox ask people here who are from Texas that get high heat there. They need AC in Texas.

Are you idiot?

Iran and Texas are not in same climate region.

Iran is more hotter and drier since Texas (central and east) is hot and humid, but not hotter as Iran.

Houses in Iran are different and they are not same as America - very different design and nobody could afford the AC in Iran.

Ac doesnt work well when above 120 dwgrees. Need swamp cooler, perhaps water is pricey for them.

Ac doesnt work well when above 120 dwgrees. Need swamp cooler, perhaps water is pricey for them.

I agree with you in big time, really big time, unless you want throw $$$$ for very huge AC unit.

Our house AC isn't cooling more effectively at 68 when outside is 90 F.

Back