Got New Naida's

C-NICE

Reaction score
I got new Nadia's today WOW!!

My audi was right. Naidas are as close to a CI as you can get without actually getting one!!!

My audi was right. Naidas are as close to a CI as you can get without actually getting one!!!
Not sure what you mean by this. A hearing aid is nothing like a CI. End of story. The function and actually hearing with them is a totally different process

My audi was referring to it's effectiveness. I am borderline between a HA and CI in my loss.

Not sure what you mean by this. A hearing aid is nothing like a CI. End of story. The function and actually hearing with them is a totally different process
Truly, what is the difference? Does a CI work that well? I'm getting desperate.

HAs amplify sound, CIs convert sound to electric impulses and skip the non-working parts of the ear by stimulating the auditory nerve directly. CIs require major surgery. From what I've heard from folks, the sound you hear with a CI is different from normal hearing and it takes a while to "learn" how to use them well. The same is true of HAs though, there's that adapting period for most people.

So for severe - profound loss, a HA's amplification will only get you so far... You'll be unlikely to understand speech from severe on with HAs alone. Depending on the type of loss (and other factors), CIs could get you speech discrim. (Based on what my ENT told me and what I've read since learning more about my own diminished hearing).

You also need a good auditory nerve to benefit well from a CI.

Many people like myself don't qualify because of this.

If you are really interested, you need to get evaluated. A doctor can tell you much more about your particular case than any of us here.

I was told that Phonak (and now other HA companies) having Sound Recovery means that they can now do what CIs could only do many years ago.
I was told that when I went for a CI evaluation. (I can't get a CI as I have hysterical deafness.)

What exacctly is "hysterical deafness"?

It is "similar" to "sensonuerial-S N"?

What exacctly is "hysterical deafness"?

It is "similar" to "sensonuerial-S N"?

It's my brain turning off my hearing functions. For a long time, my hearing has gone and come back but in the past 7 months, it's gone and not come back again at all.

Have no idea why it's called hysterical deafness but that's what ENT said and I've since met another person with hysterical deafness. She's not had any hearing for 5 years.

Back