Toyota Tacoma TPMS

Me idiot? Let me tell you, buddy... I once lost front tire as soon as I was ready to park on a spot from toll thruway. Nothing to do with how much air in it... It has to do with damn stupid loose nut.

I don't believe in "This can save your lives" crap cause if that is so true, I would have already be DEAD long time ago. I have seen one that takes a lot care of themselves and get killed anyway, while those who don't give a SHYT about, lives tip 80, 90 yrs old, like heavy smoker that lives til 90. Sometimes something that claim to save your lives CAN kill ya, don't you know that as well?

BTW, I am life long DIE HARD BIKER, MOFO! I have been into 5 friggin motorcycle accidents and here I am still kicking my wife's ass. "This can save your lives" is just BS after all.

Because you don't torqued all lugs first. That's why there have 5 lugs for. If one lug loose then 4 lugs still hold very well.

For tire, Nail or screw then game over.

Let me guess, helmets are useless for motorcycles? No ego needs, You have family and be safety for them, not just yourself.

Last edited:
I bought new tires at Pep Boys. I'm glad they didn't break my TPMS.

did you replace the sensor for free?

No idea. :dunno: That's all I told manger that I broke it by accident and he said okay, Get a new TPMS sensor and I will care of customer.

My '06 Toyota Tacoma TPMS failed immediately following a tire replacement at Discount Tire. Discount Tire is willing to reduce the price in half per sensor to replace all 5 sensors claiming that it's just a coincidence due to sensor age(the
type sensors the carry can't reprogram replacing just one). I contacted my local Toyota dealership and inquired about the sensors lifespan and was told that 10-14yrs is normal. However, in his opinion it sounded like Discount Tire is at fault though it "could" be a coincidence.

Do you think I should be demanding Discount Tire to cover the full cost or honor the half price as it could still be coincidence?

Edit: Discount Tire claims the sensors go bad after 4 years sometimes.

Sue Discount Tire for damaged sensors however some tire shops hide the thin fine print on the bottom, states we are not responsible for damage the sensors while dismount or re mount tires. Many times I've seen.
Aftermarket tire pressure monitor sensor may not work with Toyota vehicles, sound like Discount Tire put cheap sensor and able not reset with their scan or TPMS tools. I did it before, we use OEM Sensors from Toyota dealer, easy to reset with my Modis Ultra scanner tool. Yes it is true that the sensor life is about last 10 years. Not all the vehicles. When you replace a new sensor you must re-register it thru scanner tool. Anyway. Sorry to heard your story...

apparently they were not careful of the module inside the rim. some cars its strapped to middle of rim. some cars is part of tire stem. tire pressure monitoring system only tells you if the tire is soft or flat due to pressure change. some cars are not interchangeable within same brands so you need to know the radio frequency the care uses.

On the other hand - I wonder if they or did you reset the tpms yet? Do you know how?
1. Park the vehicle on level ground. Engage the parking brake. Turn off the engine.

2. Check the pressure in all four tires to make sure they are inflated to the proper pressure. The proper tire pressure can be found in the vehicle's owner's manual and also on a sticker located on the driver's side door frame.

3. Start the vehicle.

4.Locate the TPMS reset button to the left of the steering column. The button is marked with the TPMS icon and the word "Set."

5.Press the reset button and hold it until the TPMS warning light on the instrument panel blinks three times.

6.Wait approximately five minutes after pressing the reset button. Turn off the vehicle and observe the warning light. If it comes back on and blinks when you turn off the engine, there is a problem with the system and it needs to be serviced.

I love your work...one interesting about the battery life in tire pressure monitor sensor if you reset them by manual like you mentioned but the TPMS light will come back after straight 25 or more minutes of driving time due to weak battery cause poor frequent signal to TPMS a computer. No problem with stop and go traffic. Strange TPMS design.
We hate to see the TPMS light come on when the vehicles brought in for oil services especially Toyota/Lexus even the customers doesn't complaint about them but we check tire pressure on 5 wheels before reset or let customer to drive until TPMS light turn off itself.

They reset the TPMS, I drove a block away and the indicator started flashing nonstop. When I referenced the blinking indicator I learned it was a all system failure. When I went back to Discount Tire, their scans couldn't even pick up a single sensor in all five tires. It was perfectly fine prior to having them replace one flat tire.

If 4 tires need to replace, make sure you mark the wheels where they belong. Mix up wheel rims cause TPMS a corruption. If you drive with bad flat tire, then may ruin tire pressure monitor sensor. If not, screw Discount Tire up for damaged the sensor....

tsk tsk tsk. sux to have a car like that. mine doesn't do like that. i can just simply remove the sensors and desolder the TPMS light. *shrug*

love my truck. simple and great.

Lol, I pick up a modern Cadillac SUV with aftermarket big wheels for oil service, notice "Low Tire Air Pressure" messenger in the cluster, check air pressure, they're ok, nothing wrong. Customer didn't complaint....though

First off -- to diehard biker - ABS light is NOT part of obdii inspection. If the light is on, the mechanic WILL look at every little thing on the brakes and make sure its tip top shape and it WILL pass NYS inspection. How do I know? been there and done that. Same goes for tpms. I have bought snow tires with rims off craigs list and one tire did not have the sensor in there and they installed a rubber stem instead. Went in for inspection and it passed. You need to look at the NYS requirement carefully. It does not say anything about ABS , tpms etc. garages DO tell you if your check engine light is on which is emssions only it WILL fail. you need to fix it or find the work around. IF you FAILED because of the reasons I mentioned, then you need to report THAT garage to DMV and go else where and reinspect. Once it passes, you can use taht as evidence. No two garages have same opinion. I know. I been there. There are a few I stay away from due to "overzealous" inspections which is bs and I warn others not to go there.
If you know the code why check engine light is on and no time to troubleshoot, you can wipe computer and drive it enough to have one computer not ready and go in for inspection. When weather cooperates, I go fix the emission issue. less headache later.

If 4 tires need to replace, make sure you mark the wheels where they belong. Mix up wheel rims cause TPMS a corruption. If you drive with bad flat tire, then may ruin tire pressure monitor sensor. If not, screw Discount Tire up for damaged the sensor....

It was just one tire replaced because it was flat from a nail. I really think they screwed up the sensor and I'm going to try to get them to cover the cost for me to get a OEM sensor replacement at Toyota. I don't want aftermarket short lived sensors.

After 500 miles of high speed driving, eh? That what it happened. It was damn long time ago, I never forget that day. LOL

Basically I like keep thing simple, which makes it easier to deal with. The more complication, the more headache one gets. Nobody likes headache, right?

Bottom line, it is not about being ego, its about experience I have. I have better days when things were simple, that way if your stuck in middle of nowhere, you would want to be able to fix right away, right? If problem is something you can't fix, you would rather keep running until you get destination safely, only exemption is OIL which sucks really and its the only thing I don't mind let engine refuse to start.

There was one incident where safety fuel cut off system activates when in collision, one guy got seriously hurt because of that, he couldn't get the car restart after accident and dealt with 18 wheelers impact that throws him off, he said if it were not for that safety feature, he could have start and escape the accident.

Also, I have notice that the more technology involves, the dumber one gets! I can't believe I have seen more dumber people than ever, like I mentioned the other thread where Moron idiot driver decide drive 60MPH on icy road, thinking that all technologies would save all of the headache... Boy, why is he driving by the way? I have never seen like these people back in the '70's where there isn't much of safety craps exists!

Because you don't torqued all lugs first. That's why there have 5 lugs for. If one lug loose then 4 lugs still hold very well.

For tire, Nail or screw then game over.

Let me guess, helmets are useless for motorcycles? No ego needs, You have family and be safety for them, not just yourself.

After 500 miles of high speed driving, eh? That what it happened. It was damn long time ago, I never forget that day. LOL

Basically I like keep thing simple, which makes it easier to deal with. The more complication, the more headache one gets. Nobody likes headache, right?

Bottom line, it is not about being ego, its about experience I have. I have better days when things were simple, that way if your stuck in middle of nowhere, you would want to be able to fix right away, right? If problem is something you can't fix, you would rather keep running until you get destination safely, only exemption is OIL which sucks really and its the only thing I don't mind let engine refuse to start.

There was one incident where safety fuel cut off system activates when in collision, one guy got seriously hurt because of that, he couldn't get the car restart after accident and dealt with 18 wheelers impact that throws him off, he said if it were not for that safety feature, he could have start and escape the accident.

Also, I have notice that the more technology involves, the dumber one gets! I can't believe I have seen more dumber people than ever, like I mentioned the other thread where Moron idiot driver decide drive 60MPH on icy road, thinking that all technologies would save all of the headache... Boy, why is he driving by the way? I have never seen like these people back in the '70's where there isn't much of safety craps exists!

Just admit you don't check lugs with torque wrench before take long road. 500 miles, Oh please, Lugs should last around 10,000k miles or more. Plus We drove 2,000 miles at 60-80 MPH under 1 week (IL-IA-SD-CO-NE-CO-OK-MI-IL) No problem so far. I don't see any lugs loose from tractor trucks and trailers after 10,000-25,000 miles for service that I know so far. If lugs got loose under 1k miles then it's human error. I have to torque wrench all lugs at EACH service OR replace tires. Never trust on impact gun.

TPMS is nothing do with icy road.

I don't understand that you have no problem with troubleshooting for computer/networks which they are pretty high technology but headache with cars? :laugh2: Yeah only headache because too lazy to read the owner manuals. Owner Manuals are almost answer everything even TPMS.

FYI, "18 wheelers" is very old word and not all Semi-trailer trucks have 18 wheels.

Again, TPMS NEVER kill the engine, NO matter what. Sounds like alternator got failed then drain whole battery down then engine become cannon't running and can't start engine anymore. 70's car would get same problem, make no difference. OR he ignored low oil pressure too long.

Guess what? 2000's is much lower fatalities than 1970's.That's proof that technology is much safely than old.

Last edited:
irrelevant. most likely due to human error..... like failure to tighten the bolt properly....

simple... get a car that suits your needs. there are plenty of modern cars with less technology and lot of technology. I chose the one with less technology.... meaning I don't need those fancy touchscreen thingamajig with integrated GPS, satellite radio, rearview camera, etc...

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Rambling. that's all I can surmise.

First off -- to diehard biker - ABS light is NOT part of obdii inspection. If the light is on, the mechanic WILL look at every little thing on the brakes and make sure its tip top shape and it WILL pass NYS inspection. How do I know? been there and done that. Same goes for tpms. I have bought snow tires with rims off craigs list and one tire did not have the sensor in there and they installed a rubber stem instead. Went in for inspection and it passed. You need to look at the NYS requirement carefully. It does not say anything about ABS , tpms etc. garages DO tell you if your check engine light is on which is emssions only it WILL fail. you need to fix it or find the work around. IF you FAILED because of the reasons I mentioned, then you need to report THAT garage to DMV and go else where and reinspect. Once it passes, you can use taht as evidence. No two garages have same opinion. I know. I been there. There are a few I stay away from due to "overzealous" inspections which is bs and I warn others not to go there.
If you know the code why check engine light is on and no time to troubleshoot, you can wipe computer and drive it enough to have one computer not ready and go in for inspection. When weather cooperates, I go fix the emission issue. less headache later.

Same thing in California. I don't care about ABS, TPMS or Traction lights. Just MIL (Check Engine or Service Engine Soon). Smog computer will read the emission monitors of "READY or NOT READY" in the vehicle's PCM. For 1996-1999 model year, no more than 2 Not Ready allow. For 2000 and up model year vehicles, only EVAP monitor Not Ready that the vehicle have, will pass smog inspection. If any of Not Ready like O2 sensors or cat converters or Secondary Air Injection or EGR are stored in PCM with no MIL, will fail under the smog computer check. For pre 1995 vehicle, you can clear codes (Turn MIL off) with scan tool or disconnect battery then zoom to the smog inspection station....

You must confused with NO oil or low pressure oil then engine would auto shut down. I never heard of disabled vehicles because of no service. Where you get that info from?

I received a 2008 MBZ sedan (can't remember of body) for smog inspection, saw messenger in the cluster, states overdue 300ish days, I figure out why can't the cheap ass customer (Persian) have her car service like oil change etc...Persian people you know what I talk about.... Anyway, I failed it for Check Engine light on under visual inspection, the codes I remember is from camshaft sensors. That's what I believe there is overdue service and lack of oil lubricant to the variable valve actuators that triggers camshaft codes...My service manager ask me to diagnose camshaft codes, I told him Send it out to MBZ dealer to give a customer learn a lesson. Camshaft codes can be solve by change oil but not always, might have more problems with the engine mechanical....

I did replaced aftermarket tire pressure sensors for other vehicles, reset TPMS few times. There is sometime made me frustrated that I don't understand why our shop's TPMS scan can't read new tire pressure sensor. Real pain in the azz. I bought a new SnapOn Modis Ultra scanner (worth $5K) last year, I finally understand why the new tire pressure sensor need re-register from old sensor especially in Toyota/Lexus. This scan tool will tell you how is battery life in tire pressure sensor, LOW? HIGH? Also tell you what PSI and temperature does the tires have. I just replaced one sensor, relearn (re register) thru my Modis Ultra in few minutes. Drove Toyota around the block to verify TPMS light. Good and easy.

No more! after investigation busted few years ago with shady license inspectors, all inspectors are now REQUIRED to transmit all OBD codes, if there is error, its automatically failed. No way to cover up, been there and done that….
Our state (SC) used to have problems with dishonest inspectors so they did away with inspections completely. The state government decided that inspections were just a rip-off business.

Our state (SC) used to have problems with dishonest inspectors so they did away with inspections completely. The state government decided that inspections were just a rip-off business.

:jaw: you kidding! sounds like heaven ..lol

My smog inspector license for Star report card is .88, good inspector. My co-worker's report card is .14, very bad, he rip off customers for un necessary repairs. He always ask me to helping him to diagnose emission problems. I told him, I am not your potty trainer anymore. Lazy smog inspector. I bet he will get an ax from a manager sooner....

I did replaced aftermarket tire pressure sensors for other vehicles, reset TPMS few times. There is sometime made me frustrated that I don't understand why our shop's TPMS scan can't read new tire pressure sensor. Real pain in the azz. I bought a new SnapOn Modis Ultra scanner (worth $5K) last year, I finally understand why the new tire pressure sensor need re-register from old sensor especially in Toyota/Lexus. This scan tool will tell you how is battery life in tire pressure sensor, LOW? HIGH? Also tell you what PSI and temperature does the tires have. I just replaced one sensor, relearn (re register) thru my Modis Ultra in few minutes. Drove Toyota around the block to verify TPMS light. Good and easy.

That's pretty cool! Our trailer use AIS (Tire Inflation System) and easy for me to adjusted it and troubleshooting. No scan tools needs. Just simple air gauge chuck and air gauge with airline 1/4" to connect AIS's air regulator to adjust.

My smog inspector license for Star report card is .88, good inspector. My co-worker's report card is .14, very bad, he rip off customers for un necessary repairs. He always ask me to helping him to diagnose emission problems. I told him, I am not your potty trainer anymore. Lazy smog inspector. I bet he will get an ax from a manager sooner....

Star report? Never heard of that and good job.

Back