Toyota Tacoma TPMS

Miaou

Premium Member
Reaction score
My '06 Toyota Tacoma TPMS failed immediately following a tire replacement at Discount Tire. Discount Tire is willing to reduce the price in half per sensor to replace all 5 sensors claiming that it's just a coincidence due to sensor age(the
type sensors the carry can't reprogram replacing just one). I contacted my local Toyota dealership and inquired about the sensors lifespan and was told that 10-14yrs is normal. However, in his opinion it sounded like Discount Tire is at fault though it "could" be a coincidence.

Do you think I should be demanding Discount Tire to cover the full cost or honor the half price as it could still be coincidence?

Edit: Discount Tire claims the sensors go bad after 4 years sometimes.

This is precisely why I HATE new cars! Too much technology, increases chances of too many shYt going wrong.... repairs pretty much mandatory regardless how small it is. Older cars, if you got low air on tires, sure drive to gas station and inflate em, newer car, it just simply quit working in middle of road... sucks!

This is precisely why I HATE new cars! Too much technology, increases chances of too many shYt going wrong.... repairs pretty much mandatory regardless how small it is. Older cars, if you got low air on tires, sure drive to gas station and inflate em, newer car, it just simply quit working in middle of road... sucks!

eh TPMS affects nothing to any car. if it fails - simple... chuck it and don't bother replacing it if you "hate technology".

Won't work after 2007, its part of Federal mandatory. These can not be disabled because it is controlled by computer.

eh TPMS affects nothing to any car. if it fails - simple... chuck it and don't bother replacing it if you "hate technology".

Won't work after 2007, its part of Federal mandatory. These can not be disabled because it is controlled by computer.

disabled? I didn't say anything about disabled. I said if it's broken, chuck it. or just don't bother replacing it.

apparently they were not careful of the module inside the rim. some cars its strapped to middle of rim. some cars is part of tire stem. tire pressure monitoring system only tells you if the tire is soft or flat due to pressure change. some cars are not interchangeable within same brands so you need to know the radio frequency the care uses.

On the other hand - I wonder if they or did you reset the tpms yet? Do you know how?
1. Park the vehicle on level ground. Engage the parking brake. Turn off the engine.

2. Check the pressure in all four tires to make sure they are inflated to the proper pressure. The proper tire pressure can be found in the vehicle's owner's manual and also on a sticker located on the driver's side door frame.

3. Start the vehicle.

4.Locate the TPMS reset button to the left of the steering column. The button is marked with the TPMS icon and the word "Set."

5.Press the reset button and hold it until the TPMS warning light on the instrument panel blinks three times.

6.Wait approximately five minutes after pressing the reset button. Turn off the vehicle and observe the warning light. If it comes back on and blinks when you turn off the engine, there is a problem with the system and it needs to be serviced.

apparently they were not careful of the module inside the rim. some cars its strapped to middle of rim. some cars is part of tire stem. tire pressure monitoring system only tells you if the tire is soft or flat due to pressure change. some cars are not interchangeable within same brands so you need to know the radio frequency the care uses.

On the other hand - I wonder if they or did you reset the tpms yet? Do you know how?

1. Park the vehicle on level ground. Engage the parking brake. Turn off the engine.

2. Check the pressure in all four tires to make sure they are inflated to the proper pressure. The proper tire pressure can be found in the vehicle's owner's manual and also on a sticker located on the driver's side door frame.

3. Start the vehicle.

4.Locate the TPMS reset button to the left of the steering column. The button is marked with the TPMS icon and the word "Set."

5.Press the reset button and hold it until the TPMS warning light on the instrument panel blinks three times.

6.Wait approximately five minutes after pressing the reset button. Turn off the vehicle and observe the warning light. If it comes back on and blinks when you turn off the engine, there is a problem with the system and it needs to be serviced.

They reset the TPMS, I drove a block away and the indicator started flashing nonstop. When I referenced the blinking indicator I learned it was a all system failure. When I went back to Discount Tire, their scans couldn't even pick up a single sensor in all five tires. It was perfectly fine prior to having them replace one flat tire.

How not bother replacing them, because two things will happen, it won't pass inspection, secondly, it can stall the car, computer can refuse allow one to start the engine until these shYt has been serviced or replaced. There is no way around by ignoring them.

I have dealt with it and know it. You will experience problems later on and you will say oh SHYT!

disabled? I didn't say anything about disabled. I said if it's broken, chuck it. or just don't bother replacing it.

Due to safety regulations and vehicle insurance policy, it's required to have the sensors in a vehicle that was original equipped with them, at least that's what I was told. I'd have to do more research to confirm or deny it.

Edit: functional sensors*

Even some newer cars will force you to change oil, otherwise one can't start until the oil has been changed... It is all computer controlled.

Yup! Really it is not Insurance, it is federal regulation, bottom reason is to maintain MPG. I think it is joke!

Due to safety regulations and vehicle insurance policy, it's required to have the sensors in a vehicle that was original equipped with them, at least that's what I was told. I'd have to do more research to confirm or deny it.

How not bother replacing them, because two things will happen, it won't pass inspection, secondly, it can stall the car, computer can refuse allow one to start the engine until these shYt has been serviced or replaced. There is no way around by ignoring them.

I have dealt with it and know it. You will experience problems later on and you will say oh SHYT!

tsk tsk tsk. sux to have a car like that. mine doesn't do like that. i can just simply remove the sensors and desolder the TPMS light. *shrug*

love my truck. simple and great.

Edit: functional sensors*

Even some newer cars will force you to change oil, otherwise one can't start until the oil has been changed... It is all computer controlled.

eh? never heard of it.

Taking bulb out would pass inspection? Nope! TSK TSK! ITs computer that will show its on, impossible to bypass with OBD connection.

Same concept with air bag, if you disable them, your going to run into problems too.

tsk tsk tsk. sux to have a car like that. mine doesn't do like that. i can just simply remove the sensors and desolder the TPMS light. *shrug*

love my truck. simple and great.

Taking bulb out would pass inspection? Nope! TSK TSK! ITs computer that will show its on, impossible to bypass with OBD connection.

Same concept with air bag, if you disable them, your going to run into problems too.

*shrug* relax. you're getting too excited.

simple - go to a private mechanic for inspection. problem solved. you're from NY.... not an issue for you since your inspection is done by any mechanic you want.

You seems don't understand, when sending vehicle for inspection, the inspector do NOT need to look at dashboard for MIL or anything what inspector did was plug in ODB, and that computer will send any fault code to DMV automatically. There is NO way around it, DMV is not that dumb or naive like you. ITs getting harder and harder to fool anyone, especially after 2007 model year.

I have seen driver forced to get his car towed only to find out it needs air, due to TPMS error code to car computer, thus automatically disabled his car! He was like WTF?

No more! after investigation busted few years ago with shady license inspectors, all inspectors are now REQUIRED to transmit all OBD codes, if there is error, its automatically failed. No way to cover up, been there and done that.

BTW, when inspection complete, there is print out showing ODB codes cleared in last 100 miles. If there is error within 100 miles, have to wait until after 100 miles have been driven. And there is NO state owned inspection station here in my hometown.

simple - go to a private mechanic for inspection. problem solved. you're from NY.... not an issue for you since your inspection is done by any mechanic you want.

No more! after investigation busted few years ago with shady license inspectors, all inspectors are now REQUIRED to transmit all OBD codes, if there is error, its automatically failed. No way to cover up, been there and done that.

BTW, when inspection complete, there is print out showing ODB codes cleared in last 100 miles. If there is error within 100 miles, have to wait until after 100 miles have been driven.

precisely why I'm not NY resident. sux to be you!

Back