Newbie to Deaf Dating

napy666

Reaction score
I have never met a deaf person until recently. Him and I met via a dating APP on mobile devices, we started talking, hit it off, and he then told me he was deaf but he can also talk just like 50% not 100% clear like a regular person. I have not heard him talk as of yet.

Anyway since I have never dated a deaf person before, what is there to know? Honestly this is a bit weird and I know learning sign language is going to be difficult and for me because I have learning disabilities so it's harder for me to learn things.

I don't want to screw things up or offend this guy in anyway but I keep thinking that may happen. I guess I have a lot of questions like how does he or you guys listen to music, go to concerts or the movies etc. When you can't hear that material? How do you know what it sounds like?

Thanks for any help.

. I guess I have a lot of questions like how does he or you guys listen to music, go to concerts or the movies etc. When you can't hear that material? How do you know what it sounds like?

Thanks for any help.

You will probably have to expand and change your interests.

Listen to music? No.

Know what it sounds like? No.

Movies? Caption device in the theater. If it's a theater without one, forget it.

Well he says he's been to concerts and listen to music so not sure how that works, same thing with movies he says he's seen them same with TV shows etc.

You will probably have to expand and change your interests.

Listen to music? No.

Know what it sounds like? No.

Movies? Caption device in the theater. If it's a theater without one, forget it.

They could go to a foreign movie , it'll have subtitles . Deaf people do listen to music , they feel the vibes. I lived with some deaf people and they played their music so loud I thought the roof was going to blow off the house! It drove me nuts .

They could go to a foreign movie , it'll have subtitles . Deaf people do listen to music , they feel the vibes. I lived with some deaf people and they played their music so loud I thought the roof was going to blow off the house! It drove me nuts .

Haha interesting.

Hi :) I am a hearing person in a relationship with a deaf person. It is not that hard :) For one, I cringed when I read "regular" person. We are all regular people. Some of us are deaf, and some of us are hearing ;)
Any way, my girlfriend was not born deaf. She speaks, and she is not fluent in Sign language, though she knows quite a bit. I know how to finger spell and do basic signs, plus she lip reads. For confusing or complex conversations, I dictate into her phone and it turns my words into text for her. We also live apart so we do a lot of Skyping and Facebook chatting.
No, we do not go to concerts or listen to music, though we do share lyrics we like and so forth. She does know what music sounds like since she was not always deaf. We have gone to captioned musicals and the like.
You just make an effort to communicate, do not leave your partner out of conversations and make them feel isolated, just my opinion, as a hearing partner of a deaf person.

I have actually never heard a born deaf person speak, except possibly on TV. All of my deaf friends are late deafened. Some of them are easier to understand than others. I have no trouble understanding my girlfriend, especially in person (as opposed to Skype).

I am worried about our first date, again I have never dated a deaf person before let alone met any. I don't know what I should do as far as this date goes, like if we go to the movies, am I going to have to do all the talking? What about coffee, same ordeal? I just don't know what to do.

I am worried about our first date, again I have never dated a deaf person before let alone met any. I don't know what I should do as far as this date goes, like if we go to the movies, am I going to have to do all the talking? What about coffee, same ordeal? I just don't know what to do.

Why don't you just let things get it own course , if you keep worrying it will spoil your date. I am sure the guy will know how to communicate to you just fine .

Yeah, I'm just going to wait and see what happens, the guy hasn't spoken to me since he went on his mini vacation so maybe I will hear from him soon.

Ask him whether you would hang at drag strips with other deaf people and argue on which vehicles are worth turbocharging and which is not. You will learn a lot about Deaf World that way.

Well him and I talked yesturday briefly and I asked him about us meeting and he never replied to my message about it at all yesturday or today so I don't know if this guy is even still interested in me, even though he said he does like me and he really wanted us to meet. :/

That what I wanted to know if there deaf there and looking for a roommate and need to

I have never met a deaf person until recently. Him and I met via a dating APP on mobile devices, we started talking, hit it off, and he then told me he was deaf but he can also talk just like 50% not 100% clear like a regular person. I have not heard him talk as of yet.

Anyway since I have never dated a deaf person before, what is there to know? Honestly this is a bit weird and I know learning sign language is going to be difficult and for me because I have learning disabilities so it's harder for me to learn things.

I don't want to screw things up or offend this guy in anyway but I keep thinking that may happen. I guess I have a lot of questions like how does he or you guys listen to music, go to concerts or the movies etc. When you can't hear that material? How do you know what it sounds like?

Thanks for any help.
Is there deaf there?

From my experience and dating a deaf guy for over 6 months now it has been a challenge just making sure that like when we go out everything is clearly communicated to who ever we encounter. My bf has taught me so much in sign language and it was funny when we were at a bar playing darts a lady signed to me asking if I was deaf and I signed saying I was hearing and explained to her my bf was the deaf one and so they started signing cause she was an interpreter.

He must be hard-of-hearing then......

Not necessarily. I'm deaf and I talk. I'm late deafened (lost the bulk of my hearing as a teenager) and I have really excellent misleading speech. People assume I can hear. I can't remember the last time I heard something.

Also, napy, every single question you have should be directed to him. Like autism, deafness is a spectrum. You can really only know the answers to those questions by getting them from him.

Hey am full deaf single sing language BLS nottingham

Sent from my SM-T230 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back