Recommendations on good ASL websites?

blackhawksgirl

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to teach my boyfriend into learning sign language, but it's been four months now and he's still struggling. Do you have any recommendations on good ASL websites that he can learn from? Or ASL classes online? He prefers learning from a diaphragm or a voice over explaining the signs so it's easier for him to get a better understanding.

:ty:

The best resource I've found besides a class with a deaf prof. that is also free is bill vicar's YouTube channel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I bought a DVD set from everydayasl.com, Bill Vicars ibooks 1 & 2, and several apps. I understood the Bill Vicars ibook better. It has both the English and ASL for a phrase or sentence. It also explains the NMM's better.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I did show him Bill Vicar's Youtube channel and his website. I thought it was super helpful, but he prefers to have it with audio. :dunno:

I did show him Bill Vicar's Youtube channel and his website. I thought it was super helpful, but he prefers to have it with audio. :dunno:
:confused: ASL is a visual mode of communication--it's not audio. If you attended a real life ASL class it should be voices off--no audio.

:confused: ASL is a visual mode of communication--it's not audio. If you attended a real life ASL class it should be voices off--no audio.

That's what I told him. I guess he just wants to hear an explanation on how the sign should be expressed and why it's signed like that. I told him it's not really necessary for him to know that stuff. It just seems so complicated for him when it's all really simple. We haven't even got past fingerspelling yet and I'm trying to make it easier so I don't really know what to do. I guess as long as we both have patience for each other, it'll work out.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Learning-American-Sign-Language-II--Beginning/dp/0205275532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416204190&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+ASL&pebp=1416204194627[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Language-Exercises-Increased-Comprehension/dp/0399514902/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416204173&sr=8-3&keywords=ASL&pebp=1416204178135[/ame]

The lifeprint fingerspelling app is great for working on recognition speed.

The lifeprint fingerspelling app is great for working on recognition speed.

I didn't know about that app, thank you!!

Edit: I just looked into the app and found out it's only compatible with iPhone, but my boyfriend has Android. :-/

Lifeprint.com I'm hearing and working har d at learning sign. This sight is very helpful.

Back