Sign Language Rights!

That's too bad gary n' all other deaf, it won't be the same in the future becuz of the new technologies. Anytime, Gov't will push down on deaf welfare becuz they are not handicapped.

Wow!!! Very Very powerful and moving!!!!

Everything he has said is what Jillo, Deafdyke, Cheri, Angel, and I, along with many others have been saying along but yet our message is being ignored.

He said hearing children are given the opportunity to learn sign language so their language development can develop to higher literacy rates but yet, sign language is being denied to many deaf babies.

WHY???? :pissed::pissed:

This is one of the crazy paranoid reason why they get panic about having a deaf child. They are hoping for a miracle like the cochlear implant to make deaf hear better just like magic. The hearing parents don't want them to do sign language and make them speak to the hearing parents. Get this, that I noticed that most hearing people are interest in learning how to sign for themselves for pleasure and try to communicate with the deaf. Hearing people are really weird and so are the oralists who are trying to make us speak without sign language. We will never know and understand why hearing people are behaving like that with us deafies. I think it is cruel and discrimination to force us to use oral practice. That is what we need to have our own sign language rights and we will fight for them (ASL, LQS, and International sign language)!!!! :crazy:

Yeah, my mom doesn't get why I'd want to learn sign either. I really don't get it. I've had other people act confussed too when I've told them I want to learn. What's up with that? :squint:

I think its the fear of the unknown for them just as are some issues in life we meet for the first time. I think its just that simple.

Transcript

Ok I will do my best to make sure everything Gary says in here. If I leave anything out, pls add them. Thanks

Hi, my name is Gary (Last name)

I want to let you know what is impacting thousands of deaf children today

Thousands of deaf children are missing sign language.

Sign language is very important because it has a postive influence in self esteem, mental health, language growth, academic development, strength, and confidence.

What happens when sign language is taken away?

Deaf children become passive.

Too much focus on learning how to speak and how to listen.

Deaf children dont have strong language skills, more mental health problems, no leadership, no confidence, and too isolated.

Where are they? All alone without support.

Hearing children are exposed to sign language for language growth, higher literacy skills, and more confidence in themselves.

Why not the same for deaf children?

Hearing parents of deaf children need to speak out but the problem is that they dont know much about sign language and its benefits.

AVT and CIs are ok...about 25% succeed but the other % dont succeed and what happens to them? The window of opportunity of language development is lost for them.

If sign language is added those children with CIs will grow at a much more successful rate!

ASL helps with reading and writing in English. LSQ helps with reading and writing in French. Many studies have shown that.

About 95% of deaf children in Sweden have CIs but they are exposed to sign language.

What happens to them?

More jobs! More opportunites! Better mental health! More confidence! Better self-esteem!

Come on all...deaf, mainstreamed deaf, oral deaf, CI deaf, hearing...come on all and support deaf children's rights to sign language!!

We cannot allow sign language to die..it will stay strong! As long as God gives our deaf children sign language, it will stay strong!

Thankyou dear one for posting that....I am 41 and just learning sign language....that made me cry!!

Wow!!! Very Very powerful and moving!!!!

Everything he has said is what Jillo, Deafdyke, Cheri, Angel, and I, along with many others have been saying along but yet our message is being ignored.

He said hearing children are given the opportunity to learn sign language so their language development can develop to higher literacy rates but yet, sign language is being denied to many deaf babies.

WHY???? :pissed::pissed:

Maybe it is that they think the deaf people ought to be dumb and want us to stay that way. Well, I still am upset that Abbe Sicard (in Harlan Lane's "When the Mind Hears") infantilized Massieu's petition when he had it published. That was after Massieu saved Sicard from the French Revolution. That was back in 18th century and the hearing people are still at it. I'm really sick of it.

Maybe it is that they think the deaf people ought to be dumb and want us to stay that way. Well, I still am upset that Abbe Sicard (in Harlan Lane's "When the Mind Hears") infantilized Massieu's petition when he had it published. That was after Massieu saved Sicard from the French Revolution. That was back in 18th century and the hearing people are still at it. I'm really sick of it.

This sort of opperession does make a powerful political statement.

I support this man 100 percent. I feel very sorry for Ci children that their parent dont alllow sign lang. That is so sad that they dont accpet their deaf and sign language too. I against parents who dont accpet their children's deaf and dont allow any sign language.

I knew some oral deaf people from high school. They were not allowed to sign from their parents. Sad. Guess what all of them learned how sign after they graduted high school. wow! I asked them why they did that? They said sign is very benfits and clear to understand.

Also, I used work with deaf children for free. I told them a stories with sign language. They really enjoyed with me. guess what, they dont need me anymore because they wear ci and dont allow to learn sign language. I was upset about it. I loved work with them and missed it.

I love his glorious message! It's definitely true, totally true! <3

He actually powed me to blow my words away. haha:D

ASL Forever as always! <333

Back