Former President Ford died

Bushes pay respects to Ford in Capitol
Bushes pay respects to Ford in Capitol - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON - President Bush bowed his head in silence on Monday before the flag-draped casket of Gerald R. Ford, joining thousands of mourners who paid their respects to the man who guided the nation after the tumultuous Watergate years.

Silence fell under the Capitol dome when the president and his wife, Laura, walked toward the casket, illuminated by spotlights and guarded at each corner by members of a military honor guard. The president, who will eulogize Ford on Tuesday, said nothing during the brief, one-minute visit Monday.

As three days of public viewing drew to a close, Ford's widow, Betty, returned to the Capitol and sat in the Rotunda for about 20 minutes with her three sons, her daughter and their spouses. She clutched the hand of son Michael. Son Steven helped her up when she walked over to the casket, touching it one last time.

Two of the former president's grandchildren, Heather Vance and Tyne Vance Berlanga, embraced after they were overcome with emotion at the casket.

It was a rainy, overcast day, and people waited in line under umbrellas and parka hoods to say farewell to Ford, who died Dec. 26 at age 93.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday at Washington's National Cathedral, where a bell will toll 38 times for the 38th president. Ford will be buried at his presidential museum in Michigan.

On Monday, ordinary Americans started the new year by joining official Washington in paying their respect to the former president.

Karen Olson, 53, of Herndon, Va., said the rain couldn't dampen her determination to see Ford. Her mother, who's now deceased, was on his staff, she said.

"I wanted to come pay my respects. He was a big part of my life," said Olson, who was among the people lined up before 9 a.m. EST to enter the Capitol building. "I have a lot of ties to his family."

"The few times that I met him, he was just really nice," she said.

Both of Olson's parents have passed away.

"I kind of felt like I wanted to be there for them," she said. "There's just an emotional connection there."

Among the dignitaries to pay their respects Monday were Bush's parents, former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara; former President Bill Clinton and former first lady, Sen.Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.; Rep. Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., who this week becomes the first woman speaker of the House; Sen. Edward Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass.; former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld; former Vice President Dan Quayle; and former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

Mid-afternoon, members of Ford's family greeted mourners. Michael Ford and his sister, Susan Ford Bales, handed remembrance cards to some of the visitors.

The blue cards had the presidential, vice presidential and House of Representatives seals and a biography of Ford on one side. On the other was a photograph of the former president in the Oval Office, his head bowed.

The message on the card: "The family of Gerald R. Ford deeply appreciates your prayers and many kindnesses as together we celebrate and honor the life of a devoted husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather and the 38th president of the United States."

Michael Ford shook 8-year-old Christopher Witkowski's hand and gave him one of the cards. "My father would have wanted you to have this," he told Christopher, from Alexandria, Va.

Bush last week praised Ford as a "true gentleman." He recounted how Ford stepped into the Oval Office after President Nixon resigned in disgrace after the Watergate scandal.

"President Ford was a great American who gave many years of dedicated service to our country," Bush said in a statement released after his death. "With his quiet integrity, common sense and kind instincts, President Ford helped heal our land and restore public confidence in the presidency."

After viewing the casket, the Bushes drove to Blair House, across the street from the White House, to visit for a half-hour with Betty Ford. The Bushes then walked down Pennsylvania Avenue back to the Executive Mansion.

Ford was appointed vice president by Nixon to replace Spiro Agnew, who resigned in a bribery scandal stemming from his days as Maryland governor. After Nixon resigned in disgrace, Ford assumed the presidency for 2- 1/2 years. A month after taking office, Ford pardoned Nixon for any Watergate crimes he might have committed — a move that political analysts say was perhaps the main reason he lost the 1976 election to Jimmy Carter.

"At a time that the nation was under a lot of pressure, a lot of fire, he stood up for the things that he thought were right at the time," Edna Reeves, 61, of Oxon Hill, Md., said as she walked to the Capitol in the rain. "Much blessings to him for knowing compassion enough to pardon President Nixon. I think that was beautiful. You see he didn't think of himself, he thought about the nation."

Bushes pay respects to Ford
Bushes pay respects to Ford | The World | The Australian

US President George W. Bush and first lady Laura Bush briefly paid their respects today to Gerald R. Ford, joining thousands of ordinary Americans in saying goodbye to the former president.
At mid-afternoon on a rainy, overcast day, the first couple stood at Ford's flag-draped casket and bowed their heads.

Their stay at the US Capitol, which came on the third day of mourning there for Ford, lasted just a few minutes.

Afterwards, the Bush motorcade took the President to Blair House, across the street from the White House, for a visit with former first lady Betty Ford.

Mr Bush, who had been vacationing until yesterday at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, had saluted Ford in a statement from there last week after the former president died.

He also devoted his weekly Saturday radio address to Ford, who died at 93.

Shortly after Mr Bush's visit, his father, former president George Bush, and his wife, Barbara, came, stood by the casket and bowed their heads, and then left.

Two of Ford's children stood in the Rotunda today, greeting people who came to pay last respects to their father.

Ford's sister, Susan Ford Bales, stood nearby, greeting others who had come to pay their respects.

Before the Bushes went to the Hill, Nancy Pelosi, who this week becomes the first woman speaker of the House of Representatives, paid her respects.

Former president Bill Clinton and his wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, visited as well.

Karen Olson, 53, of Herndon, Virginia, said the rain could not dampen her determination to see him.

Her mother, who is now deceased, was on his staff, she said.

"I wanted to come pay my respects. He was a big part of my life," said Ms Olson, who was among the people lined up before 9am, local time, to enter the Capitol building.

"The few times that I met him, he was just really nice," Ms Olson said.

"I kind of felt like I wanted to be there for them," she said.

Inside the Rotunda, Ford's daughter and son handed remembrance cards to some of the visitors.

The blue cards had the presidential, vice presidential and House of Representatives seals and a biography of Ford on one side.

On the other was a photograph of the former president in the Oval Office, his head bowed.

The message on the card: "The family of Gerald R. Ford deeply appreciates your prayers and many kindnesses as together we celebrate and honour the life of a devoted husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather and the 38th president of the United States."

Following the pardon of Richard Nixon for any crimes from Watergate, Ford lost the 1976 election to Jimmy Carter.

Former senator Bob Dole of Kansas, Ford's running mate in that campaign, returned unannounced to pay his respects again yesterday, after being among the invited guests as an honorary pallbearer at Saturday evening's ceremonies in the Rotunda.

Political analysts believe the pardon played a major - if not the major - role in Ford's defeat.

Ford was out of the White House after just two and-a-half years in office and he is the only unelected president.

Nixon had appointed Ford vice-president to replace Spiro Agnew, who resigned in a bribery scandal stemming from his days as Maryland governor.

Ford was to lie in state for public viewing throughout the day.

Tomorrow, Ford's remains will rest outside the senate chamber before a funeral service at Washington National Cathedral where Mr Bush will deliver a eulogy.

Americans file past Ford's casket
Americans file past Ford's casket | Herald Sun

AMERICANS are paying their last respects to former president Gerald Ford, who has been praised by former aides and politicians for offering steady leadership after the Watergate scandal.

Ordinary Americans filed past Ford's flag-draped casket in the Congress building's Rotunda today after being greeted by one of the late president's sons, Jack.

Ford died in California on December 26 at the age of 93.

Vice President Dick Cheney, who served as Ford's chief of staff, has delivered a speech hailing Ford for his most criticised decision - pardoning his predecessor Richard Nixon.

Mr Cheney told mourners the former president "was almost alone in understanding that there can be no healing without pardon".

During a time of "great malice" following President Nixon's resignation in 1974, Mr Cheney said Ford's decision saved the country from division and disaster.

"It was this man, Gerald R. Ford, who led our republic safely through a crisis that could have turned to catastrophe," he said.

"We will never know what further unravelings, what greater malevolence might have come in that time of furies turned loose and hearts turned cold."

In September 1974, Ford delivered an unconditional pardon for any crimes Nixon might have committed, a move that Nixon's opponents viewed as unjust and led to speculation that a deal had been cut beforehand.

Ford was also remembered for his humble manner and his reputation for honesty.

"Few have ever risen so high with so little guile or calculation," Mr Cheney said.

After finishing the eulogy, Mr Cheney said a few words to former first lady Betty Ford before leading her over to the casket, where they were joined by the Ford children.

President George W. Bush and First Lady Laura Bush are yet to view the casket at the Capitol.

The series of solemn tributes to Ford will continue, with January 2 declared a national day of mourning and a service planned at the National Cathedral.

The outgoing Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dennis Hastert, said Ford provided a steady hand at a difficult moment in history.

"We needed a healer. We needed a rock. We needed honesty, candor, and courage. We needed Gerald Ford," he told mourners.

Apart from the crisis prompted by the Watergate scandal, Ford also inherited the final phase of US military involvement in Vietnam.

In an interview with the Washington Post that was published at the weekend, Ford recalled the US presence in Vietnam with regret.

"I hope we never live through another era like that in American history. The answers were very evasive. The results were very disillusioning," he said.

In keeping with his family's wishes, the funeral services scheduled for the 38th president will be more muted than those for former president Ronald Reagan two years ago.

His remains are to be laid to rest at the Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Ford served in Congress for 25 years before being appointed vice president by President Nixon in 1973.

The president's resignation in 1974, under the cloud of the Watergate scandal, left Ford to assume the presidency from mid-1974 to early 1977.

did anyone watch the funeral this morning on tv? I did.. it was beautiful service. :(

im watching the repeat on C span right now cuz i missed it this morning due to alot of phone calls i had to field.

Back