Why everyone have to hate people with CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
Yeah, why you do it? For what purpose? Even if you hating on it, nothing will change!

My advice to you, don't take it personally. Everyones differernt. Just worry about your own that will do.

I know, I was your age once. Now that I'm 34, I don't worry much any more about what people think. I know you're young. Just enjoy life, ok??

Who is everyone? A better question is why do you care about them? They have no effect on your life.

Eh, i dont see anyone making fun of me other than some deaf jokes for fun (of course I dont mind, they know).

but i dont actually see some hating me cause of my deafness (of course theres always one or two that hate me but thats because i was an ass-hole to them)... maybe its you that they hate personally.

I love deaf jokes as they're usually funny

I don't know anyone who hates someone just because they have a CI.

CI is a direct threat to the deaf culture as a whole. If the hearing medical community had their way (in which they are, very slowly), they'd be committing a deaf genocide, destroying ASL and deaf culture all together.

Just my two cents....

CI is a direct threat to the deaf culture as a whole. If the hearing medical community had their way (in which they are, very slowly), they'd be committing a deaf genocide, destroying ASL and deaf culture all together
So why aren't HAs a direct threat too? The ONLY threat it poses, is to voice off Deaf culture. It is very possible to be hoh and Deaf too!

CI is a direct threat to the deaf culture as a whole. If the hearing medical community had their way (in which they are, very slowly), they'd be committing a deaf genocide, destroying ASL and deaf culture all together.

Just my two cents....
You have this part right.

Just my two cents....

CIs don't destroy ASL. Wearing CIs, using spoken language is not at all incompatible with ASL. The decision whether or not to use ASL is separate from the decision whether or not to get CIs.

ASL will be there for years but deaf culture won't be the same future or fading out. I just hope that I won't see it until I die.

The decision whether or not to use ASL is separate from the decision whether or not to get CIs.
Perhaps the twain will finally meet. I know that a BIG part of the reason why a lot of parents chose oral first is b/c in the past it took kids a VERY long time to aquire spoken language. That is why Mystic Oral School, (an old state supported school that closed 30 years ago) Clarke, CID, and the other oral programs had a Pk-8 focus.
There was even an oral school in Pittsburgh DePaul, that used to have a secondary department (a la Mary Hare in the UK)
A lot of parents seem to be OK with ASL, but simply want their kids to learn speech....and unfortunatly the speech departments at some Deaf schools/programs can be really lacking...that is why Deaf Schools need to become Hoh friendly and improve their speech offerings. If they DID, then a lot of audilogically hoh kids would attend!

what? why do you hate people who don't want CI?

I personally dont remember hating other deaf people without implants.

But you guys and your so called "medical field" is somewhat bull. People get CI cause they want to hear other than being told that ASL is dying; even though that not true cause a lot of deaf people will learn asl no matter if they can hear through CI or not. People with CI will eventually get to a point where they will learn and speak english, thats all.

I personally dont feel the need to learn ASl yet since I have a hearing tool.

I just dont get the scare of losing ASL, its not going away any time soon

And the thing is..........back when hearing aids were popular, Oral Schools were BOOMING! Clarke used to have dorms out the wazoo..Now it's pretty much dying....only eight kids are dorm kids now?!?!?

Ahh, the usual trollin' I see... :roll:

I just dont get the scare of losing ASL, its not going away any time soon
Well granted, I do know it's very common to go to an oral school reunion and find out that a lot of the grads of DePaul, and Clarke and CID and those schools have learned ASL.
I think people are concerned b/c while the number of dhh kids who NEED ASL...that is they have significent spoken language issues has dropped a lot, there's still the fact that in this country functionally hoh kids have been traditonally educated orally and mainstreamed.
People are afraid that CI kids will miss out on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back