Hearing service dog

deafinitions

Reaction score
I'm a high school senior with bilateral Nucleus 5 CI's (got them in 2004 and 2007). I was born moderately deaf and lost my hearing gradually thereafter, but luckily was able to retain all my auditory memory and speak normally with a bit of impediment/"deaf accent". I am now 100% deaf without my CIs.

I'll be headed to college next year, which brings me to my question for you all:

Since I take off my CIs at night I need an alarm system to wake me up in the mornings and to alert me to any alarms (smoke/fire, carbon monoxide, etc.). I have tried a few different bedshakers...none have worked for me because I am a sound sleeper and have a very severe case of Restless Legs Syndrome. One bedshaker I "learned" to sleep through after about a week and another woke up the rest of my family...haha.

I am going to college in the fall and need some way to wake up for class. (Currently my mom physically drags me out of bed and slaps me continually to get me to wake up.) I've been approved to get a service dog - which could alert me to any alarms as well as to doorbell, phone ringing, my name being called, etc - but am currently unsure about the commitment level. Though I'm a huge dog lover, I've never had a pet before and certainly never a working one! Does anyone here have experience with a hearing service dog?

(If I don't get the service dog, I will likely have to "hire" someone to wake me up in the mornings.)

Sorry for the wall of text - thanks to anyone who read it through! Really appreciate your input - my parents and I don't have much experience with this stuff or much of a D/deaf/HOH community to bounce things off of.

You'll have exercise , feed and bring a service dog to a vet just the same as having a dog for a pet. If you need to feel your dog home , it would be best to turn off the phones , I did this with my hearing dog . I did not want him getting all worked up when the phone ring . A hearing dog does not need to be a big dog I had a Standard Poodle . Did the people training the dog had have you filled out a questionnaire to see if you'll be able to care for a hearing dog? If not you should talk to them and asked what committed will be having a hearing dog. I had to exercise my Standard Poodle everyday and do 'homework with him everyday when I first brought him home so he could get use working in my home . My dog was well trained and I to know how to work with my dog so he would not try to train me. Standard Poodle are very smart dogs . You'll have a best friend , and I had insurance for service dogs , it did not pay for yearly checkups it cover ER vet bills and meds etc,. I say go for .

You'll have exercise , feed and bring a service dog to a vet just the same as having a dog for a pet. If you need to feel your dog home , it would be best to turn off the phones , I did this with my hearing dog . I did not want him getting all worked up when the phone ring . A hearing dog does not need to be a big dog I had a Standard Poodle . Did the people training the dog had have you filled out a questionnaire to see if you'll be able to care for a hearing dog? If not you should talk to them and asked what committed will be having a hearing dog. I had to exercise my Standard Poodle everyday and do 'homework with him everyday when I first brought him home so he could get use working in my home . My dog was well trained and I to know how to work with my dog so he would not try to train me. Standard Poodle are very smart dogs . You'll have a best friend , and I had insurance for service dogs , it did not pay for yearly checkups it cover ER vet bills and meds etc,. I say go for .

Hi whatdidyousay! Thanks for the tip on turning off the phone alarms. Good idea. I did fill out a questionnaire. The company I was approved through (Canine Companions for Independence) uses Golden Retriever mixes. Do you know if most insurance companies offer some coverage for service dogs?

Also, how did/do you feel about taking the dog out in public in situations where you may not actually need it? I would tend to feel self-conscious about taking it to class, the store, etc., but I'm certainly not about to leave the poor dog locked up in a dorm room.

Thanks for all your input! Good to hear from someone who has had this experience.

Hi whatdidyousay! Thanks for the tip on turning off the phone alarms. Good idea. I did fill out a questionnaire. The company I was approved through (Canine Companions for Independence) uses Golden Retriever mixes. Do you know if most insurance companies offer some coverage for service dogs?

Also, how did/do you feel about taking the dog out in public in situations where you may not actually need it? I would tend to feel self-conscious about taking it to class, the store, etc., but I'm certainly not about to leave the poor dog locked up in a dorm room.

Thanks for all your input! Good to hear from someone who has had this experience.

The dog's a social animal. It's a good instinct not to leave him home locked up. If I had a service dog, I wouldn't hesitate to take him everywhere I go. He's your buddy, not part of the furniture. Most schools should be up to date with disability laws concerning service animals.

Laura

The dog's a social animal. It's a good instinct not to leave him home locked up. If I had a service dog, I wouldn't hesitate to take him everywhere I go. He's your buddy, not part of the furniture. Most schools should be up to date with disability laws concerning service animals.

Laura

Hey Laura, thanks for your input! Being a self-conscious teenager, I guess I just feel weird taking the dog everywhere. I had the perception that it'd breed unwanted attention (i.e. having it in class or at work with me when I don't medically/physically need it to be there). Does that make sense?

Hey Laura, thanks for your input! Being a self-conscious teenager, I guess I just feel weird taking the dog everywhere. I had the perception that it'd breed unwanted attention (i.e. having it in class or at work with me when I don't medically/physically need it to be there). Does that make sense?

Don't feel weird about it. I worked in a federal building where one of the employees had a seeing eye dog. The dog went everywhere...and whether you need it or not - take him anyway. You'd be surprised....you never know when you will need him, and you'll be glad he was there. Public perception be damned, service dogs are getting more awareness thanks to the anxiety therapy dogs for Veterans. The animal is a part of your life and even if the need isn't there, they need you and hanging out with you is important down time for them.

I felt find taking my dog shopping with me. Some people did not like me bringing a dog into a grocery store and I had people tell me my dog was better behave than some kids in the store. I only had insurance that was meant for service dogs and it cost less than insurance of pets . I see no reason pets insurance would not cover service dogs but it may cost you more money.
You do not have to have your dog wear it vest while out with you , but it does made it easier to bring it into stores with a vest on him or her. My hearing dog went everywhere with and if I left him home people asked where was my dog . I went to get some blood work done at the hospital and the nurses wanted to know where Finlay was! Never mind about me people wanted to know how my dog was . LOL! My beloved dog got cancer and I had to put him down , that was when I felt self-conscious , I felt apart of me was missing. I no longer had my best friend standing at my left side looking out for me. My dog dies in 2008 and people still ask where is my dog . :( You'll have people and especially kids wanting to pet your dog so I really think you'll won't be feeling self-conscious for very long . I am trying to remember the name of the insurance I had for my dog if I do I will post it.

I got it! This link of insurance I had for my hearing dog

http://www.iaadp.org/iaadp-membership-benefits.html

Don't feel weird about it. I worked in a federal building where one of the employees had a seeing eye dog. The dog went everywhere...and whether you need it or not - take him anyway. You'd be surprised....you never know when you will need him, and you'll be glad he was there. Public perception be damned, service dogs are getting more awareness thanks to the anxiety therapy dogs for Veterans. The animal is a part of your life and even if the need isn't there, they need you and hanging out with you is important down time for them.

Thanks Lau! That does help a bit. I know I shouldn't be as wrapped up in what people think as I am - guess it's just the teenager in me. I haven't really had too many friends, so I would definitely welcome a dog's companionship!

I felt find taking my dog shopping with me. Some people did not like me bringing a dog into a grocery store and I had people tell me my dog was better behave than some kids in the store. I only had insurance that was meant for service dogs and it cost less than insurance of pets . I see no reason pets insurance would not cover service dogs but it may cost you more money.
You do not have to have your dog wear it vest while out with you , but it does made it easier to bring it into stores with a vest on him or her. My hearing dog went everywhere with and if I left him home people asked where was my dog . I went to get some blood work done at the hospital and the nurses wanted to know where Finlay was! Never mind about me people wanted to know how my dog was . LOL! My beloved dog got cancer and I had to put him down , that was when I felt self-conscious , I felt apart of me was missing. I no longer had my best friend standing at my left side looking out for me. My dog dies in 2008 and people still ask where is my dog . :( You'll have people and especially kids wanting to pet your dog so I really think you'll won't be feeling self-conscious for very long . I am trying to remember the name of the insurance I had for my dog if I do I will post it.

I got it! This link of insurance I had for my hearing dog

http://www.iaadp.org/iaadp-membership-benefits.html

Hi again Whatdidyousay! I didn't realize that service dog insurance existed separately from regular pet insurance - that's cool! Thanks for the link; I'll definitely check it out.

It sounds like you and Finlay had a very special relationship. I'm sorry to hear that he passed, but it certainly makes me feel better knowing how close you were with him. Like I said above, I don't have many friends and having that kind of companionship would, I'm sure, be a huge plus. I really liked what you said about only feeling self-conscious when your dog was no longer with you. Powerful stuff. Thanks so much for your input! Question: were you ever in school with the dog? How did that work, if so?

Lau - forgot to ask: have you ever had a service dog yourself?

I've wanted one for a long time and may eventually go that route. Where I live now, it's not fair to the dog. Although they have a job, they're still all dog, 24/7 and they have needs - like exercise and a place to run and play. I live in a condo and can't offer that and I'm surrounded by uptight neighbors so it's really not fair to do that to an animal. I do see the day when it absolutely will happen because I'm deaf without my hearing aids, and the need is there. I would like to be living in a better place that's more suited for them. That said, don't ever let anyone make you feel unwelcome. If they don't get what his job is, that's their problem so don't make it yours.

Edit to add: I've had large dogs growing up, a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd - and man, I miss them every day.

Hi again Whatdidyousay! I didn't realize that service dog insurance existed separately from regular pet insurance - that's cool! Thanks for the link; I'll definitely check it out.

It sounds like you and Finlay had a very special relationship. I'm sorry to hear that he passed, but it certainly makes me feel better knowing how close you were with him. Like I said above, I don't have many friends and having that kind of companionship would, I'm sure, be a huge plus. I really liked what you said about only feeling self-conscious when your dog was no longer with you. Powerful stuff. Thanks so much for your input! Question: were you ever in school with the dog? How did that work, if so?

No I got hearing dog my after I divorce my husband , and I missed my hearing dog a lot more than I missed my ex! Yes Finlay and I had a very relationship , I have poor balance and if I started to lose my balance while walking my dog he would stop walking and look down at my feet and when Finlay saw that I was OK he would start walking again . My dog was not trained to do this , we were so protected of one another that we became a very close team . Finlay walked so close to me so no one could get near me if he did not like them. I trusted his judgment in people b/c he was always right. My hearing dog and I were very well know around town , he went town meetings with me too. As you can tell I still miss my beloved friend dearly.

Yes service dog insurance existed separately from regular pet insurance , service dogs are not pets and would have separate insurance , I have funny feeling pets insurance would want you to pay more for service dog b/c they're working dogs .

I've wanted one for a long time and may eventually go that route. Where I live now, it's not fair to the dog. Although they have a job, they're still all dog, 24/7 and they have needs - like exercise and a place to run and play. I live in a condo and can't offer that and I'm surrounded by uptight neighbors so it's really not fair to do that to an animal. I do see the day when it absolutely will happen because I'm deaf without my hearing aids, and the need is there. I would like to be living in a better place that's more suited for them. That said, don't ever let anyone make you feel unwelcome. If they don't get what his job is, that's their problem so don't make it yours.

Edit to add: I've had large dogs growing up, a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd - and man, I miss them every day.

Gotcha. Thanks for your input. I'm sorry to hear your current living situation isn't conducive to having one.

Thanks to Whatdidyousay, too. I really appreciate both of you taking the time to offer your thoughts. Do either of you mind my asking how you get up in the mornings without a service dog or another person getting you up? Posted this on another thread, but traditional bedshakers haven't really worked for me.

Whatdidyousay: another question for you. I've heard that the initial adjustment period with the dog (the first year or so) is really rough, what with getting the dog trained properly to your needs, etc. Did you find that to be the case with you and Finlay? Also, would you ever consider getting another service dog?

Last edited:

I got Finlay from NEADS and when Finlay dies I called NEADS back and I was told they were training more dog for wounded vets. I send an email to Nightly News about this and Lester Holt when to NEADS and did a story on service dogs being trained for wounded vet and it was on the news . So I helped made people more aware about service dogs for vets and felt good about it. I also was hoping people would donate money to help train the dogs for the vets .

Do either of you mind my asking how you get up in the mornings without a service dog or another person getting you up? Posted this on another thread, but traditional bedshakers haven't really worked for me.

I use the Sonic Boom clocks and they do wake me, including my cat who's learned how to turn on the fan and the lights when I'm sleeping....

I use the Sonic Boom clocks and they do wake me, including my cat who's learned how to turn on the fan and the lights when I'm sleeping....

I bet your cat is tying to wake you for food . :giggle: My dog is good at waking me up , he made my bed vibrate by bouncing around on it.

Finlay was trained to use his nose to poke me when waking me up. Finlay did not think this was becoming to him so used his paw to push me . I wanted to see how far Finlay would go in trying to wake me up. I set my clock to go off and pretended to be sound asleep , and he came into my bedroom and tapped me on my shoulder and I did not move so he tapped me again still no luck so Finlay jumped on my bed and got behind me and pushed me with his paw! I was LOL ! My hearing dog took his job very serious , and I think he did more than some people do.

That's what makes them special...they do take caring for their owners seriously. I don't know if it was food or play that my cat was looking for but hopefully this doesn't become a habit. My parents certainly got a big laugh out of it....:lol:

I'm so glad to hear from you both how great (or not so great, Lau - LOL) your pets are. Here are some general questions I have about service dogs:

How hard was the training? The break-in period?

What was the most difficult part?

How long did it take to get the dog trained for the most part?

After dog trained, were there any difficulties?

If the dog is off duty much of the daytime, can it be treated more like a pet?

Can it be treated like a pet, even with its vest on?

How did other students/teachers on campus treat you? Did it draw positive or negative attention?

How did restaurants and other businesses treat you and the dog?

What was the best thing about having a dog with you on campus?

What was the hardest thing about having a dog with you on campus?

I'm so glad to hear from you both how great (or not so great, Lau - LOL) your pets are. Here are some general questions I have about service dogs:

How hard was the training? The break-in period?

What was the most difficult part?

How long did it take to get the dog trained for the most part?

After dog trained, were there any difficulties?

If the dog is off duty much of the daytime, can it be treated more like a pet?

Can it be treated like a pet, even with its vest on?

How did other students/teachers on campus treat you? Did it draw positive or negative attention?

How did restaurants and other businesses treat you and the dog?

What was the best thing about having a dog with you on campus?

What was the hardest thing about having a dog with you on campus?

I can't address the specifics because I haven't owned one myself but I do know the gist of it. When they're on duty, you should control whether someone has permission to pet it and they take orders from just you. How anyone treats you is anyone's guess. Most are very delighted especially if it's a Lab or Golden. I'd like to think more businesses are becoming more accepting. I didn't see issues on my job with folks that used them. It's your service dog but it's also your pet and being a social animal, it needs love and companionship like we all do. You should love him accordingly; he remembers his job and will do it. Expect to do re-enforcement training, because it's needed. I can only see the positives of having the dog with you and I envy you....

I can't address the specifics because I haven't owned one myself but I do know the gist of it. When they're on duty, you should control whether someone has permission to pet it and they take orders from just you. How anyone treats you is anyone's guess. Most are very delighted especially if it's a Lab or Golden. I'd like to think more businesses are becoming more accepting. I didn't see issues on my job with folks that used them. It's your service dog but it's also your pet and being a social animal, it needs love and companionship like we all do. You should love him accordingly; he remembers his job and will do it. Expect to do re-enforcement training, because it's needed. I can only see the positives of having the dog with you and I envy you....

I got all kind reactions from people some negative and positive . There will always be that feel dogs do not belong in grocery stores or restaurants . If people did not see Finlay and I walk into a restaurant most of the they did not even know my dog was there . He laid under the table if was big enough or I would find a table that had room for my dog to lay down and not be
in people ways. You should never feed your hearing dog while eating at home b/c you DO NOT want your dog to get into the habit of begging for food
at the table . The dog can't do that while eating out. Every service dogs
agencies has their own training program , I got my dog from NEADS and I had to stay there for a week to learn how to become a team with my dog. We went into stores and took walks and learned how get our dogs to pee and poop on demand . We got tested on this. One the last day of training we had to going into a grocery and pretend to go shopping and push shopping cart while walking our hearing dog . One of the woman dog took a poop in the store and she did not pass the test . We had to get our dog to poop and pee
before we went into the store. Finlay and I passed all of our tests . Then we went back home for a week to see how we got along on our own . After week was up we all went back to NEADS and told how we did and if we wanted to keep our dogs . As you know I kept my hearing dog. You'll run into people that want to pet your dog with asking if it's OK. I had this happen to me a lot .
You need to be very firm and say "NO" I was out with Finlay and he was in full uniform some guy walked by and tried to pet my dog on his head and I pushed the guy hand and said "NO!" The jerk got mad at me of all thing and I said to the guy " Do you like people petting you on you head while working?"
He said nothing and walked away . People should never try to pet a strange dog on it head no matter how welled trained it's.
Your service dog agency will have it own training program and I know the moment your see your hearing dog is going to love at first sight . It was with Finlay .

Thanks Lau! I'm told that the college I'm going to be attending is very receptive to SDs. (The disability culture there, in general, is great, which is one of the reasons why I elected to go there.) The coordinator of disability services there says that he has met with city officials and local business owners about a variety of disability-related issues, service dogs being one of them. He says that he has been met with nothing but positivity during these conversations and promises to "take care of it" if I should have any negative run-ins while out and about. So it's definitely comforting to know I'm headed into that sort of atmosphere.

Trust me, the dog will have NO lack of love coming from me! I am SOOOO excited to have a pet for the first time in my life and I have always wanted a Golden (which is the breed that the agency I'm going through uses).

Back