Sorenson problem

dkf747

Reaction score
I have quite a few friends, and myself, that are having problems with calling deaf to deaf with the ntouch vp. Whenever someone calls, it goes to an interpreter. Is anyone else having this problem? Sorenson tech support told me to set it to dhcp instead of the usual static IP. That has not made any difference. Any solutions, or is this just a sorenson problem?

I had the same problem too. its not just sorenson. I would call from z,sorenson, purple and it would do this randomly, esp. for the first time calling that person. If I get that problem, I would call from a different device from the same network (like switch from sorenson ntouch to z20 from home) and make the call. This seems to reset/redirect the neustar ultradns directory.

So - dont blame sorenson or other VRS companies. blame the ip to 10 digit number company.

I am hearing a couple things from the deaf community...

1.) Sorenson does not accept calls from non-Sorenson VPs. Then they blame it on other VPs. So, people leave their VP and join Sorenson.

2.) Sorensen doesn't always register your phone number as a Sorenson number. So, you can't get your free iPad from another VP provider for leaving Sorenson.

Anyone confirm?

I am hearing a couple things from the deaf community...

1.) Sorenson does not accept calls from non-Sorenson VPs. Then they blame it on other VPs. So, people leave their VP and join Sorenson.

2.) Sorensen doesn't always register your phone number as a Sorenson number. So, you can't get your free iPad from another VP provider for leaving Sorenson.

Anyone confirm?

I have seen 1 happen. its usually because of those people cant seem to be patient and try again with the calls in other ways like i mentioned until the DNS directory gets corrected. I have seen some people keep their old other vp and add sorenson with new number.

for number 2 - I have not seen this happening- but i can understand why. they dont understand what they are signing in agreement on the paperwork when they port over or get new VP/number and they automatically assume they have to get the stuff for free just for switching back and forth.
Lets just call it false advertising with fine print no where to be seen/unread.

I have had the same number for many years. The number is definitely registered. We had it with the VP-100, 200, and since two years ago, the NTouch VP. Why is this problem happening when nothing has changed. It has worked fine all of these years until now. This is a Sorenson problem.

Oh, yes it also happens when calling from one NTouch VP to another, not just from other VP's

Sorenson, or any VRS providers do NOT control the Internet, often it is local ISP that controls the gateway, if they upgrade their DNS server, ARPnet server usually that is what causing problems. Sorenson do NOT own local ISP. Hence on why router, modem, VP rebooting is necessary.

When you make a call, first your VP looks for DNS, when DNS redirect, usually at the first router to the modem, Modem search DNS again, it goes to ISP, if their ARPnet table is not formatted correctly, for instance duplicate entries, they would think it is within ISP network and try to redirect within ISP network instead of outside of their (local ISP) network where actually the person you are calling is actually outside of your ISP, it gets lost. Hence never reached at Sorenson DNS, which never reached the 10 digit local nbr server in order to be able to get connect outside of Sorenson network.

All VP acts as an endpoint that is it, ISP is the one that makes first connection outside of your network. Once your ISP connects your VP to outside of their network, it goes though series of network segments and if these segments gets messed up before reaching to other end of your VP call, ISP do not have control over them which is sucks!

You could blame on your VRS provider all you want, and it will be moot point after all. Its Internet! You would be surprised how many servers you might be connected to when making just a Videophone call. The number of connections varies greatly, just like if you do draw from dot A to B to C and so on the web that spider creates, same concept with Internet, it is connected much same way as spider created the web.

Don't forget the fact that making Internet calls (Including Videophone, VoIP, and other Internet based telephony calls) are 100% IP address dependent, and your registered videophone number is tied with IP address on registry system, when your registered 10 digit number didn't update with the new IP address assigned by your local ISP, you won't be able to make some or any calls, and won't be able to receive incoming calls because they got old IP address which would point to somebody else that ISP assigned to instead, and get lost.

So, you're more interested in defending Sorenson than in solving the problem?

This is not just my problem. I'm seeing this same problem with others who have also had their VPs and numbers for a long time, and are on different ISPs. If it's my number not being registered than who de-registered it? It's been registered for years! Not just mine, but theirs too.

I see no problems with my other VP. Why is it only Sorenson giving this problem?

How about telling me what I can do to stop this problem rather than defend Sorenson. I have nothing against them, but something is wrong. The problem is with the Sorenson VP. That's why I'm looking for help. Are you saying that it can't be fixed?

No, I am not defending Sorenson. I just happen to understand how Videophone works and how they get connected, why connect failed, and so on. 70 months worth of my full time (plus) experience with VRS provider, that is where I learn from.

If you mean your registered number disappeared, then it is likely you haven't used it for 6 months, FCC now requires VRS providers to purge these numbers that have not been used in the past 6 months. It had happened to me and it not happen once, not even twice, more than twice with few of VRS providers! Maybe you don't know, the 10 digit local number is assigned by government sponsered agency (Neustar), not VRS provider.

Just FYI, I am done working for any VRS providers, damage done and I only could thank to John T. Yeh for trying to help Deafies by defraud FCC in the first place which result FCC lost trust with anyone involved in relay services, this includes Deafies, hearies, regardless.

yay1.gif

No, I am not defending Sorenson. I just happen to understand how Videophone works and how they get connected, why connect failed, and so on. 70 months worth of my full time (plus) experience with VRS provider, that is where I learn from.

If you mean your registered number disappeared, then it is likely you haven't used it for 6 months, FCC now requires VRS providers to purge these numbers that have not been used in the past 6 months. It had happened to me and it not happen once, not even twice, more than twice with few of VRS providers! Maybe you don't know, the 10 digit local number is assigned by government sponsered agency (Neustar), not VRS provider.

Just FYI, I am done working for any VRS providers, damage done and I only could thank to John T. Yeh for trying to help Deafies by defraud FCC in the first place which result FCC lost trust with anyone involved in relay services, this includes Deafies, hearies, regardless.

We have been using the number everyday for years now. It's not anything to do with 6 months.

shrugs

I bet you my ass, if your number still registered, you could try by bringing your VP to your friend's place that use different ISP than your using, can use DHCP to make connection and it will likely going to work! Once it works, you know it is YOUR ISP the issue. I have seen this happening too numerous times.

We have been using the number everyday for years now. It's not anything to do with 6 months.

shrugs

I bet you my ass, if your number still registered, you could try by bringing your VP to your friend's place that use different ISP than your using, can use DHCP to make connection and it will likely going to work! Once it works, you know it is YOUR ISP the issue. I have seen this happening too numerous times.

Then why are my friends having the same issue, all at the same time?

Are you so sure? It appears that you have not followed the troubleshooting steps.

I wont be surprised if ur using Comcast.

Why I have doubts with you... is that I do have Ntouch, and my wife is not having any issues with that for a long time. So ur claim is likely exaggerated.

Then why are my friends having the same issue, all at the same time?

Back