Best way for hearing person to use PC webcam to call deaf/HoH VRS number?

That is because by default, the router blocks the incoming port used for video, have to go in the router firewall configuration and allow the port pass though to specific private IP address. Not all VP are using same port for video, for Sorenson VP the default port is 15328 to 15348 (It can be changed to different ports), and when these port is closed by router, bam! black screen!

There are total of 65,553 ports available though the Internet for several different applications. Examples are like you know old telephone switchboard, that is the idea by default most plugs on the switchboard inside the router is blocked, meaning operator can't plug in to make connection so once administrator gives a permission and opens the plug in order for operator to plug in for video connection.

Example are shown on Linksys router administrator interface below.

setup_behind_firewall_4.png

I'm not having any luck with this. I did go to www.ciscojabbervideo.com and did the download and install. Twice, on 2 different computers, once at the time of my last post, and once in the last few days. Same problem both times. Download and install seem to go ok, the system runs through a little self test to check my resources and says my calls should be of good quality etc. Then I try to call my friend. He tells me that his VP rings, but when he picks up I'm not there. No picture at all. On my end, it looks like he's not picking up at all. I didn't post about it the first time on the outside chance that he was just yanking my chain and wasn't really picking up (I'd get 10 rings then a message that the person seemed to be unavailable.) Anyway, this time, he was in an urgent need for contact, so I believe his description. (I eventually just called his VP from a regular phone and used a terp.) I checked my webcam and it's working ok. I can skype etc. So seems like I should be able to do this. Not sure what's wrong.

I'm not having any luck with this. I did go to www.ciscojabbervideo.com and did the download and install. Twice, on 2 different computers, once at the time of my last post, and once in the last few days. Same problem both times. Download and install seem to go ok, the system runs through a little self test to check my resources and says my calls should be of good quality etc. Then I try to call my friend. He tells me that his VP rings, but when he picks up I'm not there. No picture at all. On my end, it looks like he's not picking up at all. I didn't post about it the first time on the outside chance that he was just yanking my chain and wasn't really picking up (I'd get 10 rings then a message that the person seemed to be unavailable.) Anyway, this time, he was in an urgent need for contact, so I believe his description. (I eventually just called his VP from a regular phone and used a terp.) I checked my webcam and it's working ok. I can skype etc. So seems like I should be able to do this. Not sure what's wrong.

It could be a number of things.

When you placed the call, your jabber client sent a SIP "INVITE" to Cisco's gateway. That would have been converted into an H.323 SETUP message that made it through to your friend's videophone. This made your friend's videophone ring.

When your friend answered the call, it would have sent back an H.323 CONNECT message which should have been translated by Cisco's gateway into a SIP "200 OK" response. This is the part that is possibly not working.

The reason could be that a video codec could not be negotiated. If you were calling your friend and they had a VP200, this would be something to be expected. The VP200 does not negotiate H.264 with anything other than another Sorenson videophone, and the Cisco Jabber client doesn't do H.263, which would cause a codec incompatibility problem both ways.

The question is really: what videophone is your friend using?

Is it possible for you to call any other videophones through any other VRS provider?

Note: it probably isn't a port thing (particularly if Skype is working for you), as the NAT traversal in the Cisco Jabber client would relay STUN/TURN/ICE through Cisco's cloud platform.

It could be a number of things.

When you placed the call, your jabber client sent a SIP "INVITE" to Cisco's gateway. That would have been converted into an H.323 SETUP message that made it through to your friend's videophone. This made your friend's videophone ring.

When your friend answered the call, it would have sent back an H.323 CONNECT message which should have been translated by Cisco's gateway into a SIP "200 OK" response. This is the part that is possibly not working.

The reason could be that a video codec could not be negotiated. If you were calling your friend and they had a VP200, this would be something to be expected. The VP200 does not negotiate H.264 with anything other than another Sorenson videophone, and the Cisco Jabber client doesn't do H.263, which would cause a codec incompatibility problem both ways.

The question is really: what videophone is your friend using?

Is it possible for you to call any other videophones through any other VRS provider?

Note: it probably isn't a port thing (particularly if Skype is working for you), as the NAT traversal in the Cisco Jabber client would relay STUN/TURN/ICE through Cisco's cloud platform.

Thank you VRSEngineer. Last time I saw his setup, he had ntouch. I think it would be very unlikely that thishad changed, but I'll ask.

I'm not sure about calling other videophones - I've only tried to do this with one person. I thought this was something that would only work with ntouch, but maybe I misunderstood that? If you're suggesting that I try to call other videophones through other VRS providers, I can start asking around and find out who among people I know have which providers (and who would be patient about receiving a test call). Are there certain providers and certain Video phones I should be looking for?

Also, to diehard biker, I appreciate your taking the time to respond to me. I was sure I wrote a reply when you posted, and now it looks like I never sent it. :0

Thank you VRSEngineer. Last time I saw his setup, he had ntouch. I think it would be very unlikely that thishad changed, but I'll ask.

I'm not sure about calling other videophones - I've only tried to do this with one person. I thought this was something that would only work with ntouch, but maybe I misunderstood that? If you're suggesting that I try to call other videophones through other VRS providers, I can start asking around and find out who among people I know have which providers (and who would be patient about receiving a test call). Are there certain providers and certain Video phones I should be looking for?

Unfortunately, even between VRS provided videophones there are incompatibilities with regard to point-to-point interoperability.

Here is an ex-parte filed yb Gallaudet about their findings that was filed today:

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521064139

In the document, it refers to their website for the results:

TDI 2013 Conference Supplemental materials

Specifically, this spreadsheet:

http://tap.gallaudet.edu/Conferences/TDI2013/Mobile VRS Apps Tests.xlsx

Note that the Cisco Jabber client isn't even on that list. That there are problems calling various videophone endpoints isn't surprising.

Petition

It's probably useless, but I created a petition at Whitehouse.gov to have the FCC create an open standard for interoperation with VPs, to bypass VRSs when direct communication skills allow. If it's signed by Feb 19 with 100,000 signatures, it'll be reviewed by the White House. If it gets 150 signatures, it'll be public and searchable.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...y-standard-public-internet-protocols/NqLhTHcK

--Another frustrated CODA

Back