Gene Therapy Trials

Condor1970

Reaction score
I just happened on this video on YouTube, and felt it worthy of posting on here for all of you to see.. I heard Kansas University was doing these trials soon, but did not know when. I've been following this research for years, and apparently the first human trial has now occurred, and it will be weeks before any results will be noticed, if any. Hopefully, it will have positive results, and a possible biological treatment will be available in less than 10 years.

We are currently trying to get my daughter approved for a cochlear implant. The ENT doc basically assured me that CI electrode insertion is so good now, that most residual hearing is not destroyed, and leaves open the possibility for CI removal years later for biological treatment, if a treatment was ever to become available.

(really sorry, this clip has no CC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn1jwdsvWUs

The future looks bright.

The ENT doc basically assured me that CI electrode insertion is so good now, that most residual hearing is not destroyed, and leaves open the possibility for CI removal years later for biological treatment, if a treatment was ever to become available.

I strongly suggest you investigate this more closely. I'd certainly question the removal aspect.

Back