breastfeeding at 5yrs old

Vanessa8

Reaction score
Read More at: Breestfeeding Mom Still Feeds Daughter Age 5 - WZTV FOX 17 - Top Stories
Updated: Friday, April 25 2014, 11:37 AM CDT Breastfeeding in public is common and accepted, but mom Sharon Spink, 44, gets more than the usual number of glances when she feed her daughter Charlotte, who is 5 and at school. Sharon says she will let her daughter breastfeed until she is ready to stop as it promotes a close bond between mother and daughter as well as boosting Charlotte's immune system. "I'm not doing anything wrong... Children don't judge." Sharon feeds Charlotte two or three times a day and is happy to do it wherever necessary "I've breastfed in the hairdresser's, supermarket and church before. "I've even breastfed Charlotte in front of her school friends. Children don't judge. It tends to be adults who do that. But thankfully their parents are all very supportive." "I'm not doing anything wrong. A mother should be free to do what she thinks is right for her child, whether that is formula feeding from birth or breastfeeding indefinitely." WATCH: Nashville Man Sells Food Stamps to Get Motel Room to "Pimp Out" Girlfriend Sharon lives in Sherburn-in-Elmet in North Yorkshire with her husband Paul, 41, and their children, Isobel, eight, and Charlotte, five. Sharon also has two children from a previous relationship Kevin, 26, and Sarah, 24. Sharon and Paul make and sell jewellery together and Sharon has spoken out about the criticism she sometimes receives from total strangers: "People will often stare or shake their heads when I feed Charlotte in public. Sometimes they'll turn their backs or move seats, and actually criticize me as a mother. I've heard people say it's weird and it's child abuse verging on pedophilia. It hurts but I'm confident in what I'm doing." "I recently fell out with a close friend who said that my only reason for breastfeeding this long was to keep Charlotte a baby. Even my eldest daughter, Sarah, disagrees with what I do but everyone is entitled to their opinion." Husband Paul is supportive although he admits that some of the more public feeds have caused him embarrassment. However, some experts have expressed caution. Dr Sandra Wheatley, a social psychologist says there is no nutritional benefit and sometimes "The potential negative psychological effects on the child far outweigh the positive."

Read More at: Breestfeeding Mom Still Feeds Daughter Age 5 - WZTV FOX 17 - Top Stories

My baby is 17months old and still breastfeeding :eek3: .. I tried to stop him but he still want it.. I can't do anything... I waiting for milk is out..

While ahe is right everyone have their opinion or whatever.. Why heck does it have to be in public? Oh gosh...

While I understand that breastfeeding a baby from newborn to a year or so is natural to do breastfeed and use common sense in public. But 5 years old and in public.... that is bad idea and should do it at home. Obviously people are not comfortable to see 5 years old being breastfed in public.

Sounds like the mom is doing this more for her then her child. This is way beyond getting healthy benefits from mothers milk. 5 years old and still nursing...SMH!!!!!!

I agree with Calvin ... nursing a newborn no problem but a 5 year old kid is a bit much ... sounds like she's doing it just for show IMO a breast pump could resolve the problem and the kid could drink from a regular cup anywhere.

I would continue to breastfeed on milf. just saying.

I'm afraid what if my baby continue breastfeed like the 5years old. ahhhhhhhhhh... I keep saying to my baby. please drink regular milk.. I gave him formula milk and regular milk . He's not crazy drink at all.. ahhhhhh ... We just hope finish breastfeed before his birthday.

this woman got issues.that Child being put through media storm is cruel

this woman got issues.that Child being put through media storm is cruel

the mother of her 5yrs old daughter, support breastfeeding. Her hometown has respect her in public but other nope. For me support breastfeeding but not 5yrs old. the age is older enough and can drink cup on her own...

surpport breast yes but not five year old..This has gone viral and the lady seems to be getting pleasure in rather unhealthy way

God gave us teeth to use for food and a sucking reflex at birth that kids sucking reflex long gone..sad she wants world see her kid as laughing stock it not something I would put my child tru

My wife breastfed all her kids, and truth is, there is NO BENEFITS of breastfeeding at 5 years old... If I remember correctly 2 years is the max that it provides any benefits to a child as far as health.... after that its basically comfort and making the child a whiner.

Does breast milk still boost the immune system at 5 years? I didn't think it did after infancy.

Back