HOH Parent Meet Up

KerBear

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if any of you who are HOH and have young children (ages 0-12) would be interested in joining a meet up for HOH moms (and dads!) in your area? I ask because where I live, I don't know of anyone (besides me) who is HOH and also has young kids. I've specifically been looking at people's ears whenever I'm at parks, stores, my church, the library, etc., but so far anyone I've seen wearing hearing aids in public places is older (I'd guess 50+) and wouldn't likely be parenting young children. (Then again, I'm on the older side and have two very young children, so I probably shouldn't rule anyone out because of their age!) I'm sure there are HOH parents around me, I just haven't met them. Since neither of my children are in school yet, my encounters with other parents are mostly limited to public places.

Anyway, I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not HOH parents of young children would be interested in getting together with other parents with hearing issues. I know I could certainly use some physical support, because while my husband and friends are very supportive, and the support I've gotten here and on other forums is wonderful, I'm still craving a real, live friendship with someone who *gets* it.

So, let me know what you think. Would you join a group like that? If so, what kinds of things would you want to see in the group (get togethers, group speakers, etc.)? If you wouldn't be interested in joining a group like that, why not? Thank you in advance for your input.

I'm assuming there are schools for the deaf in your area. If so, some of the parents of children attending those schools are likely HOH or Deaf. Maybe you can track some of them down through there?

I'm assuming there are schools for the deaf in your area. If so, some of the parents of children attending those schools are likely HOH or Deaf. Maybe you can track some of them down through there?

That's a good idea.
I guess I was also more thinking of getting people who are relatively new to hearing loss together, but maybe I need to be more generic than that.

I know this thread is kinda old but I'd like that. I'm in houston.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Wish I registered much earlier, I'm an HOH parent of three. I, too have been looking to develop new friendships.

Back