Advocating for residential school at ARC meeting

wenharas

Reaction score
Have any parents on the forum requested a change of placement from a mainstream or D/HH program in a local school to a residential school? We are looking at pulling our daughter out of the hearing impaired program in our local district and placing her at the state school. We started out mainstreaming in a private school, moved to a public school for more time with an itinerant D/HH teacher, then to the HI program. She had an opportunity to experience the school over the summer and bonded with the kids in a way she never has before and soaked up ASL like a sponge.

Has anyone advocated for this type of change for their child? What bolstered your case?

Hope its one of the better Deaf Schools.....I'm PSYCHED that your daughter has discovered that the Deaf School seems to be a good fit for her! I've put this on Facebook....hopefully you'll get some responses......I have a friend at Texas School, and she said that there ARE a lot of kids from dhh programs. Maybe push the independent living angle? Like she'll learn how to be independent in the dorms, which in turn will push her towards independence in life. Another argument is that it will sharpen her ASL fluency.....I take it ASL isn't taught in her current HI placement right? Wish a certain member was still here....she could help you!

oh... I think Shel has said that one of her professors at Gally has said that students who attend Deaf Schools do better.
Maybe use the all in one package deal argument? If its a good school for the Deaf, you could argue there are many more resources and ASL fluent teachers....Also, good social opportunities (social emotional development is REALLY important with dhh kids, and kids in general for life/career success)

oh... I think Shel has said that one of her professors at Gally has said that students who attend Deaf Schools do better.
Maybe use the all in one package deal argument? If its a good school for the Deaf, you could argue there are many more resources and ASL fluent teachers....Also, good social opportunities (social emotional development is REALLY important with dhh kids, and kids in general for life/career success)

Also in this youtube. It is closed-caption.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy_K6VtHJw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
what does that have to do with the parent advocating for switching from a dhh program to Deaf School? That's toddlers.......not teens.

Thanks

Thank you both for your feedback. We're definitely going to stress the social-emotional aspects as well as her weakness in written grammar which isn't improving.

As hearing parents, we've made the best choices from the options presented, but have been prepared to change course and have a few times. Now that our daughter is older, we have been encouraging her to let us know what she needs. She's nervous about being away from home during the week but her summer school experience and the visit we recently had made her feel very welcome.

Thank you both for your feedback. We're definitely going to stress the social-emotional aspects as well as her weakness in written grammar which isn't improving.

As hearing parents, we've made the best choices from the options presented, but have been prepared to change course and have a few times. Now that our daughter is older, we have been encouraging her to let us know what she needs. She's nervous about being away from home during the week but her summer school experience and the visit we recently had made her feel very welcome.

Excellent! Grammar is a tricky area for dhh kids (meaning seen all across the methodologies) but hopefully with good TODs who can teach dhh kids well, she'll be able to progress better. And yes, that's a REALLY important thing to remember with raising dhh kids....it takes a village to raise a kid, and circumstances etc can and do change. That's so cool you realize that!
It's hard being away from home but at the same time, it can be SO MUCH FUN. We have a res school student here, who was really reluctant to go off to school, b/c she thought she'd be homesick ....Turns out she LOVES it. School becomes a second home. I hope you can get her in....If it's a good Deaf School,(ie with well trained teachers, good programs etc) she will THRIVE and shine!

Back