Using a cell phone

Diana0107

Reaction score
Hey guys - hello from Kansas. I just wanted to introduce you all to a new technology available for the deaf and hard of hearing called InnoCaption. If you live in the United States, InnoCaption is absolutely free to you and it provides real time captioning to your smart phone. InnoCaption also uses live stenographers instead of voice recognition so the accuracy is second to none. You can check it out at www.innocaption.com. There, you can register and you will be able to download the app and start using it. The registration is free, the app is free and using it is free - you just have to have a smart phone with a voice and data plan.

Quick question in regarding to InnoCaption and I don't see it anywhere or I may have missed it. Will I be able to use speaker phone while reading the captions? Since I will have to hit "speakerphone" before I tapped InnoCaption banner?

I was hopping to get some independent reviews when I posted the thread linked below. But, I have not gotten much response.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?p=2371690#post2371690

Yeah, From my reading it sound like it is really good for my father which he is losing hearing. He can't use earpiece so now he start using speaker phone setting at full volume which I can hear it across the house! So, this one is sound like a good one so he doesn't have to order caption phone like Captel something like that.

Yeah, From my reading it sound like it is really good for my father which he is losing hearing. He can't use earpiece so now he start using speaker phone setting at full volume which I can hear it across the house! So, this one is sound like a good one so he doesn't have to order caption phone like Captel something like that.

I went really exploring their site to see if it offers advantages to me that are enough to switch. This part of the InnoCaption site has FAQs and some other PDFs about their app/service.
http://innocaption.com/contact-us/customer-care/

I copied this from the FAQs and it looks like the speaker phone not only can be used but should be easy to use.

Making and Receiving a Call FAQS_August 2014

7. Do I need to use the speaker on my phone to use InnoCaption?
Making or receiving a call with InnoCaption is defaulted to automatically activate the speaker on your android phones. If you are using an iPhone, you will need to activate your speaker before launching InnoCaption. If you do not want others to hear your conversation, you can mute the audio while on the call or use a listening device.

8. What kind of listening devices could I use?
If you have a Cochlear Implant (CI), your device will have a personal audio cable that directly connects to your CI and to your phone. If you have hearing aids, using a hearing loop, BT (Bluetooth) Gateway, or a Silhouette device will allow you to experience your phone call without any ambient or outside noises. We encourage you to take advantage of whichever listening device may suit your particular need so that you have the best experience possible. If you have a Bluetooth accessory, make sure you open the InnoCaption application first and begin caption before making the link through your Bluetooth accessory.

I currently use Hamilton CapTel for Smartphones. See http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartphone/what_is_app.html I wear a Phonak Nadia Q90 UP and have a ComPilot as an accessory. I am not sure how familiar you are with this combination. The ComPilot works as a remote to change volume and programs on the hearing aid. It also connects via bluetooth to my cell phone and transmits the sound to my hearing aid. The ONLY advantage I find from having that sound come in is if I have made a call I know when the person that answered has finished their greeting even if I have not had a chance to finish reading it all. By knowing that are finished talking I can say something so they know I am there and they don't hang up while I finish reading. The other help from that bluetooth connection is that the ComPilot transmits my voice to the phone and I can keep holding the phone in front of me at the distance that has the captions easy to read.

Last edited:
What makes this better than other caption phone apps?

Hey guys - hello from Kansas. I just wanted to introduce you all to a new technology available for the deaf and hard of hearing called InnoCaption. If you live in the United States, InnoCaption is absolutely free to you and it provides real time captioning to your smart phone. InnoCaption also uses live stenographers instead of voice recognition so the accuracy is second to none. You can check it out at www.innocaption.com. There, you can register and you will be able to download the app and start using it. The registration is free, the app is free and using it is free - you just have to have a smart phone with a voice and data plan.
Just went there,and registered but have to wait 3-5 days to get a number for my area,we will see if better than hamilton

I have been useing it for about a mth or so, i love it,switched from hamilton to innocaption,diesnt hang up on me, the captions are the closest i have seen,and it doesnt have to have wifi like hamilton does it will work on 3-4 g so really love it

Back