Deafalarm (universal vibrating fire alarm for iOS)

alexvr

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Deafalarm is an iPhone/iPad App I created to give deaf people and earplug users peace of mind while sleeping. It runs in the background and vibrates with the intent of waking you if it hears loud, repetitive noises like fire alarms.

I developed Deafalarm back in April, and I was absolutely thrilled to see it picked up and featured by popular websites like Hacker News and Gizmodo. It was even featured in a print magazine called MacFormat.

Despite its very positive reception by people who appreciate technology in general, I don't have a lot of feedback from the people who actually use it (or from the community of people who may find it useful).

On the App store, one user said in his review, "It’s exactly what I need to feel safe while I’m sleeping," but he also said it could use improvement. Unfortunately, I'm not in the best position to see how it could be improved.

You see, my hearing is thankfully fine, and I no longer need to use Deafalarm on a regular basis; I actually came up with the concept when I was paranoid about sleeping with earplugs in my loud dorm room. I wondered: What if I slept right through a fire? It then dawned on me that a lot of people can't ever hear a fire alarm; they don't even have the option of removing earplugs to feel safe (at the expense of silence). I realized that it was something that really should exist, so I got to work.

To be honest, I don't think enough people know about Deafalarm. Until now, I haven't done anything to spread the word among people who may actually find it useful. But I want more people to at least know that Deafalarm exists.

Please check it out if you're interested, and let me know what you think of the concept! I would love criticism, especially if you try it out. I would love to see more people use it, and I want to work on it until it's something people really love.

Thank you very much,
Alex

Sure - if you're right in the middle of a gun going off. Not really reliable, especially after calibrating it several times. I literally had to kick slam a door shut for it to respond. My opinion? The app below is far more functional. :P

21E5FE1E-719E-4293-BD30-0270783B6ABE.png

sowwy - not getting my response since you say its for iphones/ipads. what about the andriods lovers? oh well

@femme Fatale

It's currently designed to vibrate only when there are loud and repetitive sounds. I just calibrated it in a very quiet place, and it's vibrating from the sound of me typing this sentence. Also, please note that it's vastly more reactive when running in the foreground than the background. It's less reactive in the background to minimize false alarms while sleeping and to minimize battery use overnight.

I would normally not respond to such a trashy and unhelpful comment, but it seems like you just got the wrong idea about the app. It's not really designed to vibrate when it just hears something quick and loud, but is that something you're looking for? And was my description misleading? Because if that's the case I should change it.

radioman, I'll definitely look into an Android version once I get the current one to a good point.

creating this same thing on android is easy! I am android programmer ;)

Back