taco bell sign falls, kills 1 woman

Oh wow!

I feel for the husband!

Freak accident!

I wonder if this could have been prevented with simple maintainence.

I hope the victims will make it through. It is ultimately like AlleyCat states, bad luck!

IF they sue though:
Who is responsible? Taco bell? The sign maker for failing to make the sign nature proof?
Who's to blame?

By the time that happens, I can't help but feel the headlines on some comedy channel or ungracious people making a parody of this saying "Fast food kills faster than you think - a glance at Taco Bell".

Oh boy, next thing they'll say is that Taco Bell is bad for you... could even lead to your death! :roll:

How unfortunate for them!

If it was me I would sue taco bell and the guy that made the taco bell sign that's what I would do

Oh my gosh. That's just...unreal. I mean, even if you are one of those people who worry about how they are going to die all the time, you wouldn't think about something like that. Or, at least, I wouldn't. Poor lady...poor husband. Rest in peace.

Signs and other structures are suppose to be inspected, and maintained. It would all depend on how old, whom set up, and inspected the sign. It all falls on the owner of the franchise to insure all of that is done.

I dont know if suing anyone would do any good. Like they said it was an freak accident.

It was VERY unusual to see something like that happen so...it was all from the strong winds and such so why not go sue the winds then? :roll:

I'm sure Tacobell had no idea it would really happen and they would fix the problem immediately.

I dont know if suing anyone would do any good. Like they said it was an freak accident.

It was VERY unusual to see something like that happen so...it was all from the strong winds and such so why not go sue the winds then? :roll:

I'm sure Tacobell had no idea it would really happen and they would fix the problem immediately.

I agree it was a freak accident, but it does not mean that it could have been prevented, with proper maintenance.

“It was a one-in a million freak accident,” Engleman said.

The National Weather Center Office in North Platte recorded wind speeds of 30-35 miles an hour at the time at the North Platte Regional Airport, with an occasional gust of 40 miles an hour.

Signs of that size are generally engineered to withstand straight line winds of up to 110 mph, according to Sharon Neglay of Custom Craft Sign Company. She said that flexible faced signs are engineered to bend and flex with increased winds.

quoted from the OP's link above.

Old rusty signs or non maintained signs, are just as bad as people not tending to dead rotted trees that may fall.

Back