Sign for Massachusetts

DeafDoc1

Premium Member
Reaction score
Question for the Bostonians or other New Englanders among us. I lived in Mass. about 25 years ago, and remember the locals used a name sign for the state. It was made as follows:
left hand held straight up, plam facing right. Right hand begins as a "C" touching the left hand, then moves toward the right and ends in a downward motion into an "O" handshape. It looked as if the sign traced the shape of the state.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just making it up??

Thanks, and don't pahhk your cah too close to Hahvahd Yahd :giggle:

:ty:

I just see MA. Most I know just do postal abbreviations.

But I don't get out much.

I'm living in Boston now, and haven't seen anyone sign MA that way yet. I see "MA" a lot, and some do "mass" same way you can sign "conn" for CT.

I feel like that version would get me confused with the signs for italy and japan...

But I'm still learning, so I could also be wrong. :)

I've seen the sign for "Massachusetts" as right open palm to the left side of your cheek, Then under your chin to the letter 's'.

I inquired why....

The response was due to the Boston Celtics winning too many titles.

Today--I just fingerspell "Mass."

As for "Connecticut"--I've seen the letter 'C' to the mouth and out to the letter 'N'.

I asked why?

Response was due beavers living in that state.

Today I just fingerspell "Conn."

Last edited:
I normally use the two-letter abbreviations with a few exceptions. They are California, Colorado, New York, Texas, and Alaska. I think that's all. :hmm: Also, I'll adapt my state spelling if the client uses a different system, such as "CONN" or "FLA" or "MICH".

As for "Connecticut"--I've seen the letter 'C' to the mouth and out to the letter 'N'.

I asked why?

Response was due beavers living in that state.

Today I just fingerspell "Conn."
That's weird. I was born in Connecticut, my ancestors lived there for hundreds of years, most of my family still lives there, and yet I've never heard anyone think of Connecticut as a beaver state. I don't recall even seeing a wild beaver when I lived there. (I was mostly a townie.) It's usually referred to as The Constitution State or the Nutmeg State.

Well, I learned something new today. :P

Thanks, everyone. I'm betting the person who "taught" me that one may have made it up... :roll:

Back