ASL interpreting with HOH?

Gypsy.gal

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but had a question. Please be patient, I've never used this service before (explains better below...maybe)

I'm HOH and am oral (for lack of better words, I guess). I struggle with hearing the other person and wondering if it's possible to have an interpreter to sign to me but answer back orally to the person they are interpreting? Or is that a no-go?

Does that even make sense?? :dunno:

who answers back orally? You or the person you're talking to through the interpreter?

Not sure where to put this but had a question. Please be patient, I've never used this service before (explains better below...maybe)

I'm HOH and am oral (for lack of better words, I guess). I struggle with hearing the other person and wondering if it's possible to have an interpreter to sign to me but answer back orally to the person they are interpreting? Or is that a no-go?

Does that even make sense?? :dunno:

Of course you are allowed to voice for yourself if you want.

Of course you are allowed to voice for yourself if you want.

Thanks Bottesini,

I've never used an interpreter but feeling it might just help me better communicate if I could do something like this.

Much appreciate the answers.

Have a great day!

I'm a retired interpreter. Yes, you can answer back orally for yourself. Just let the terp know your preferences before the conversation begins.

I use my husband as my terp. He signs what they say and I reply orally. I too am hoh but talk fine thanks to speak therapy. But I can't hear what people tell me all the time, ha or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I use my husband as my terp. He signs what they say and I reply orally. I too am hoh but talk fine thanks to speak therapy. But I can't hear what people tell me all the time, ha or not.

You never use professional interpreters?

Yes it's possible. I use VCO on VRS calls and it's worked out fine for me. It helps a great deal to be able to hear the other person speaking AND seeing the ASL.

I haven't used interpreters in the "real world" in a very long time so can't say if I'd voice for myself or not (usually any interpreters I had were for classes, lectures or presentations with little interaction from me). Interestingly I do voice when signing- sometimes- depends on who I'm with lol.

If you have a paid terp, (or terp spouse) you are the boss. You can do as you please. :)

You never use professional interpreters?

Not yet, I am always with my husband when I leave or I don't leave. Some people have given us dirty looks when he talks for me, but he doesn't sign anything because he knows the answers. A few times I have been asked if he is abusing me. But I like using my husband as a terp.

In university, I'd often request that the interpreters, interpreted for the prof, students etc, but that I would voice for myself.

There's a few times I'd sign to my 'terps that I wanted to express something in ASL and have them voice for me.

You just need to set up whatever is most comfortable for you. (and that can change whenever you need it to)

well then never use your husband to interpreter for you in hospital and medical appointments. conflict of interest. same thing in legal situations. to protect yourself.

Not yet, I am always with my husband when I leave or I don't leave. Some people have given us dirty looks when he talks for me, but he doesn't sign anything because he knows the answers. A few times I have been asked if he is abusing me. But I like using my husband as a terp.

I'd suggest that for any medical or legal type appointments that even if your husband is in the room - you hire/request an interpreter.

For legal reasons this is very important.
Is your husband a registered interpreter? (and does he carry the appropriate liability insurance to be interpreting medical / legal settings?)

No he is not a registered terp. I was just so use to my parents talking for me up until I was 18, so when I married him a little after my 18th birthday I just used his voice. I do see how having a real terp for legal and medical purposes would be handy and I will if I am in that kind of situation, but so far the only doctor/medical things I go to are OBGYN appointment so I don't feel the need to have a stranger when I have him. I wish he would get registered and jump through all the hoops but he doesn't want to so I won't push him.

Back