Do you have a gun or shooting question?

Anyone carry a backup?

I'm still having trouble getting that AR-15 down my shirt sleeve. :P

I have a younger friend that I took shooting several years ago (when he became 18). It was his first time shooting a rifle and he is now a highly trained Soldier in the Army (several marksmanship awards that he brags about). He told me he actually agrees with open carrying AR-15's (from his Army pov) because they are hard to conceal.

He isn't Stateside so please keep him in your thoughts. He is never allowed to tell me where he is and I tell him to not get in trouble.

I'm going to order this:

http://ruger.com/products/lc9s/specSheets/3243.html

I checked it out a local gun shop only in a different finish. It felt good. It has a safety, which my revolver does not. It has a 7 + 1 capacity compared to my revolver's 5 shots.

With a struggle I can rack the slide. If necessary, I'll have TCS load and rack it for me. I know that isn't ideal. If I had to reload a magazine when I'm by myself I might not be able to. Still, 8 shots is better than 5.

Next, I have to decide on a holster. There are so many choices!

I might get more than one kind. I'm not crazy on any that require a belt because I don't usually wear a belt with my clothing. I don't like pocket carry because I don't have pockets in all my clothing, and some pockets are small. I might get one to wear OWB for gun classes.

I don't think bra or under-the-arm holsters are a good choice for me. I want to keep the gun around my waist area.

This looks promising:

http://www.smartcarry.com

That is a sweet looking thang. Hope it works out for you.

How does the "short sight" radius look? I have a Beretta JetFire in .25acp, and i suck at shooting it.

I find I can only shoot pocket autos up to about 10 to 15 yards before I get pretty wild results. I think the LC9 is a little bigger than you beretta.

How does the "short sight" radius look? I have a Beretta JetFire in .25acp, and i suck at shooting it.
I do well with short sights. With this Ruger I was able to pick it up and almost instantly sight it in.

The JetFire is very tiny, and .25 acp doesn't seem like an adequate round for self defense. What made you choose that gun?

I find I can only shoot pocket autos up to about 10 to 15 yards before I get pretty wild results. I think the LC9 is a little bigger than you beretta.
Yes, it is bigger; heavier and longer.

I'm going to order this:

http://ruger.com/products/lc9s/specSheets/3243.html

I checked it out a local gun shop only in a different finish. It felt good. It has a safety, which my revolver does not. It has a 7 + 1 capacity compared to my revolver's 5 shots.

With a struggle I can rack the slide. If necessary, I'll have TCS load and rack it for me. I know that isn't ideal. If I had to reload a magazine when I'm by myself I might not be able to. Still, 8 shots is better than 5.

Next, I have to decide on a holster. There are so many choices!

I might get more than one kind. I'm not crazy on any that require a belt because I don't usually wear a belt with my clothing. I don't like pocket carry because I don't have pockets in all my clothing, and some pockets are small. I might get one to wear OWB for gun classes.

I don't think bra or under-the-arm holsters are a good choice for me. I want to keep the gun around my waist area.

This looks promising:

http://www.smartcarry.com

I am thinking with your PD will a smart carry be awkward for you if you wear it under your cloths ?

I am thinking with your PD will a smart carry be awkward for you if you wear it under your cloths ?
It will probably be an easier way, to reach into the front instead of the side. I won't really know until I try.

I do well with short sights. With this Ruger I was able to pick it up and almost instantly sight it in.

The JetFire is very tiny, and .25 acp doesn't seem like an adequate round for self defense. What made you choose that gun?

I inherited the JetFire along w/ a Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk. It is in not my go to or back-up gun. I agree it is not the best caliber for DGU. As they say, any gun is better than no gun.

I inherited the JetFire along w/ a Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk. It is in not my go to or back-up gun. I agree it is not the best caliber for DGU. As they say, any gun is better than no gun.

They can be effective. Shoot 'um between the shirt pockets and they'll have a bad day. I've read good things about Hornady XTP 35 grain hollowpoints but I also read no one can find any :hmm:

I'm giving this thread a "bump". I cannot wait til mid-march when my local outdoor range reopens. I need stress therapy asap! :)

Back