Politically Correctness

Seb didn't do it the most thoughtful way; but how are those that make those kinds of errors ever to learn if it is not pointed out to them?

Exactly why I did it as I did it. I see it here all the time.

But correcting people "in public" is RUDE.

So, I guess if you were in a class and you used a word or a phrase incorrectly the teacher should not correct you in front of everyone else so the rest of the class could learn from your mistake, but do it in private and then do the same thing to all the others in class who will now do the same thing because they now believe that is how it's phrased?

But then the only person that learns anything from it is the person the message is sent to. If it is an open post, others learn the difference in grammar as well.
Like Botts posted, we can use the correct form in our replies.

Besides, I don't think many people read these posts looking for a grammar lesson.

If someone requests help, that's different.

So, I guess if you were in a class and you used a word or a phrase incorrectly the teacher should not correct you in front of everyone else so the rest of the class could learn from your mistake, but do it in private and then do the same thing to all the others in class who will now do the same thing because they now believe that is how it's phrased?

We are not children and don't need to be spoken to as such.

Why doesn't radio operator apply and how does radioman fit the bill since it to doesn't fit the bill? How about radio operations and legal operations?
It doesn't apply because they do much more than just operate equipment.

Since you are concerned about correct word use, operations doesn't describe a person but operator does. A sailor's rating has to describe the person. Hence, when I was in the Navy I was a journalist not a journalism. When one sailor asks another (who's not in uniform), "What are you?" the reply would be, "I'm a radioman (rating) first class (rate/pay grade)." It wouldn't make sense to say, "I'm radio operations" because obviously that doesn't describe a person. It might describe a command department but that's not the same thing.

Since when is AD a classroom?

These days, everybody worries about hurting someone elses feelings. Thats how being PC came about. We can thank Dr. Phil, OPRAH, MSM, TV and others for the pussification of America. We have the 1st Amendament, Freedom of Speech. We can say what we want. There in no law against "hurt feelings". We do not live in a land of unicorns and pixie dust.

To OP: sorry for going off topic, but that PC thingy is B.S. Laws and Historical things should not be changed because of PC aka "hurt feelings"

I guess it is politically incorrect to correct someone else's grammar in public now.

My friends correct mine, even when they think they are saying something right, and are wrong.

Take, for example, the word "Hiroshima". Every time my mom hears me pronounce it, she jumps all over me - then I tell her to just look it up. Even after she has looked it up, and realized I am pronouncing it correctly, I will wait several years for her to forget all about it, then say it again.

(j/k I don't do that).

btw, I do not pronounce it like "hero she mah" like many people (who are absolutely wrong) pronounce it. And I challenge them to a duel, publicly, every time someone pronounces it that way.

I guess it is politically incorrect to correct someone else's grammar in public now.

My friends correct mine, even when they think they are saying something right, and are wrong.

Take, for example, the word "Hiroshima". Every time my mom hears me pronounce it, she jumps all over me - then I tell her to just look it up. Even after she has looked it up, and realized I am pronouncing it correctly, I will wait several years for her to forget all about it, then say it again.

(j/k I don't do that).

btw, I do not pronounce it like "hero she mah" like many people (who are absolutely wrong) pronounce it. And I challenge them to a duel, publicly, every time someone pronounces it that way.

Pretty sure it's against the forum rules. Nothing to do with PC.

Will the coming ban if you start a big mess again be your final one?

I don't think that he broke a forum rule and he claims that he is joking with us.

It is best interest to let moderator to handle instead of doing backseat moderator, but I respect your wish to say.

I don't care if members want to correct my spelling or grammar so I thank to them for correction as I could make mistake sometime.

There is politically correctness in gay communities that where some gay people don't like fag and queer.

Some gay people don't like "homosexual" so they prefer to refer as gay or lesbian.

Many gay people don't like anyone say whatever is gay - for example, oh wow, pink house is gay. Ford Mustang is gay. Barbie toys are gay.

For me, I don't care so I know gay has different meanings, for example, I'm gay means I'm happy.

OK. This one really fries me.

The Navy has decided to change the titles of any professional ratings that have "-man" in the name. That is so bogus ridiculous!

During my entire 24-year career it never bothered me, a woman, in the least that some of the ratings had "man" in them. The same with my female shipmates. We didn't consider it any big deal.

For most of my career I was a Journalist so that rating wasn't included in the list of "man" ratings but for about two years I served as a Radioman when there weren't any Journalist billets available. Didn't bother me in the least.

Some of the ratings that could be effected:

Torpedoman
Radioman
Yeoman
Aviation Ordnanceman
Aviation Maintenance Administrationman
Aircrew Survival Equiptmentman
Hospital Corpsman
Fire Controlman
Legalman
Mineman
Ship's Serviceman
Damage Controlman
Machinery Repairman

It also means they'd have to rename the nonrated rates (E-1 - E-3) who are presently grouped by occupation as Seaman, Fireman, Airman, Hospitalman and Constructionman.

Man or woman, we were each proud of the specialty rating that we each attained.

Interesting, anyone want to allow women to be in military combat so is it PC?

Same with people want to expand Selective Service System registration to include women too.

Interesting, anyone want to allow women to be in military combat so is it PC?
It is a form of PC, yes.

Same with people want to expand Selective Service System registration to include women too.
PC in action. Or maybe retaliation for PC. :hmm:

Since you are concerned about correct word use, operations doesn't describe a person but operator does. A sailor's rating has to describe the person. Hence, when I was in the Navy I was a journalist not a journalism. When one sailor asks another (who's not in uniform), "What are you?" the reply would be, "I'm a radioman (rating) first class (rate/pay grade)." It wouldn't make sense to say, "I'm radio operations" because obviously that doesn't describe a person. It might describe a command department but that's not the same thing.

Post #12
No, they wouldn't have a better ring to them; they would sound awkward and artificial.

Just removing "man" at the end doesn't make sense. A Legalman would become a Legal, or a Radioman would become a Radio. Ratings refer to the person not a thing.

Operator doesn't apply because that's an inaccurate description of the tasks performed.

It also doesn't solve anything for the nonrated sailors.
Today 10:52 AM

As you can see in post #12, you said that operator does not apply, so which is it, either it does or it doesn't. Radio operations would be a catch all for perhaps all that a radioman does.

Not sure of your background but I have discovered that often things that feel just sort of "off" to those of us that grew up with standard English as our first language come from those that started with ASL. They have to at least stop and think to make the transition from ASL grammar to English grammar and for some it is harder than others.

Absolutely! However, someone posted on this forum recently that the deaf community has a 72% unemployment rate. Perhaps one of the reasons is that their command of the English language as used in the hearing world or lack there of, is one of the things that is holding them back. A friend of mine has a son who is profoundly deaf and when Mark was ready to go to school his parents refused to send him to the deaf school the district wanted them to send him to. Instead they insisted that he be mainstreamed, which he was. Today he is the registrar of voters in Monterey County.

Absolutely! However, someone posted on this forum recently that the deaf community has a 72% unemployment rate. Perhaps one of the reasons is that their command of the English language as used in the hearing world or lack there of, is one of the things that is holding them back. A friend of mine has a son who is profoundly deaf and when Mark was ready to go to school his parents refused to send him to the deaf school the district wanted them to send him to. Instead they insisted that he be mainstreamed, which he was. Today he is the registrar of voters in Monterey County.

I have fairly good English, even better than many hearing people with high school degree, but no one want to hire me because of limitation due to deafblind (limited visual field) and poor balance.

That might be true in some cases. But... I am deaf- I went to mainstream schools all my life....WITHOUT any interpreters, IEPs or special services (amazingly). My English skills are quite good (or so I've been told). Yet... I've struggled with finding a job. Maybe it's because my area is very competitive on the job market, maybe it's because I suck at networking and social interactions. It could be a combination of things or any number of things. I also know of D/deaf who went to deaf schools with their primary language being ASL who have better command of English than I do sometimes and have wonderful jobs.

I also have one friend whose command of the English language is not the best per the "standards" of the hearing world but she graduated with a degree in accounting and has worked at a Naval base in the accounting department for over 25 years (I think 27).

I sure hope so!

Thanks for asking. I will be just fine if that happens, I come from a long line of lunatics.

As you can see in post #12, you said that operator does not apply, so which is it, either it does or it doesn't. Radio operations would be a catch all for perhaps all that a radioman does.
Because a radioman does more than operate a radio.

Since you are concerned about correct word use, operations doesn't describe a person but operator does. A sailor's rating has to describe the person. Hence, when I was in the Navy I was a journalist not a journalism. When one sailor asks another (who's not in uniform), "what are you?" a reply would be, "I'm a radioman (rating) first class (rate/pay grade)." It wouldn't make sense to say, "I'm radio operations" because obviously that doesn't describe a person. It might describe a command department but that's not the same thing.

Quote from your post that was #12

Operator doesn't apply because that's an inaccurate description of the tasks performed.

I am still confused. You said in post #12 that operator doesn't apply, yet in post #25 you said " operations doesn't describe a person but operator does. " In one you said it doesn't, yet in the other you said it does, am I missing something? As for radioman being changed to something like radio operations, it would make sense if you asked "what are you?" and they could say I'm in radio operations (which could be the new rating) first class(rate/pay grade). Radioman doesn't fit everything either since you were a journalist did you ever use a radio or operate one? I realize that this is the military we are talking about which is part of the government and very little they do makes sense, but perhaps with the de gendering of the classes they can come up with new classifications that makes more sense.

Back