Which city has the most bridges in the world?

Y

Reaction score
Which city has the most bridges in the world?

Nope sorry i ll check this later (just keep going)

Buckdodgers is CORRECT !!!

Pittsburgh PA Allegheny county has over 2800 bridges
1600 over 20 foot not counting bridges under 8 foot
pittsburgh and allegheny county has the most bridges in the world

Allegheny County: 186
City of Pittsburgh: 74
State owned: 565
Others, including other towns and the Port authority: 119

Thus, there is a total of 944 highway bridges
in greater Pittsburgh (Allegheny County).
This does not include railroad bridges.
No matter how ya' cut it, there are a heck of a lot of bridges in Pittsburgh.

Amazing !?!?

Cause i been there!!! I watch a lot of WVA football games vs PITT! And most of the time mountaineers win!

Are you sure it's Pittsburgh, PA? There's about 150 bridges in Seattle alone, and there's 74 in Pittsburgh?!

Buckdodgers said:
Cause i been there!!! I watch a lot of WVA football games vs PITT! And most of the time mountaineers win!
Well, in that case, they didn't beat UGA in the bowl earlier this year. :D

Anyway, Pittsburgh has been known to have more bridges than anywhere else. But, this could be outdated, and Seattle should win the title.

EDITED: Okay, according to the title, it looks like sequoias is correct on Seattle, alone (city limits) having the most bridges than anywhere. This does not include Kings County.

The title says most bridges in the world...which means the whole world. I believe there's some city in the world has more bridges than anywhere. Seattle may have a lot of bridges, but not the most in the world. Maybe the poster forgot to put most bridges in the United States.

Brian said:
Well, in that case, they didn't beat UGA in the bowl earlier this year. :D

Anyway, Pittsburgh has been known to have more bridges than anywhere else. But, this could be outdated, and Seattle should win the title.

EDITED: Okay, according to the title, it looks like sequoias is correct on Seattle, alone (city limits) having the most bridges than anywhere. This does not include Kings County.
Who cares about the UGA loss it wasnt a national championship game.Its beating the Pitt Panthers is what counts theyre UVA arch rivals.

sequoias said:
The title says most bridges in the world...which means the whole world. I believe there's some city in the world has more bridges than anywhere. Seattle may have a lot of bridges, but not the most in the world. Maybe the poster forgot to put most bridges in the United States.
Oops, thanks sequioas for bringing this to my attention. My mind must have wandered away.

Y, I apologise.
Buckdodgers said:
Who cares about the UGA loss it wasnt a national championship game.Its beating the Pitt Panthers is what counts theyre UVA arch rivals.
Yeah, Buckdodgers, I won't argue about that.

Interesting website showing 347 bridges and 65 tunnels of
Allegheny Couny PA
(Please Show me how many bridges in King County in Seattle ??)

Look at:
http://pghbridges.com/index.htm

Field Notes: How many bridges in Pittsburgh ?
http://pghbridges.com/articles/fieldnote_howmany.htm

According to the bridges expert's quote:
First we must define what we call a "bridge".
We will use the National Bridge Inspection Standard (NBIS)
definition of a structure length of 20 feet or greater.
Defining what is meant by "Pittsburgh" is more problematic.
Pittsburgh is composed of a large number of small communities
that are unified by the city's bridges. What people generally consider "the 'burgh" is a larger area than simply the confines of the city limits. It is appropriate to consider greater Pittsburgh
as consisting of Allegheny County.
Next there is the issue of ownership.
Various authorities have ownership of individual bridges
in the Pittsburgh area.

I extend my apologies to Seq and Brian and
let's exchange our awards around :lol:

I found info about a city with most bridges in the world. I'm not sure if that city holds the most in the world, that's all I can find so far. It's hard to find a top 10 list for that.

With 1.7 million inhabitants, the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany and one of the 16 federal states of the Federal Republic of Germany. Hamburg is both a city and a state.

Economically and culturally, Hamburg is also the centre of all Northern Germany. 3.5 million people live in the metropolitan region of Hamburg - for them, Hamburg is a shopping and cultural metropolis.

With 755 square kilometres, the city area is seven times bigger than Paris and two and a half times bigger than London. As a result, Hamburg's living and housing standards are particularly high.

With 30 square metres of living space per person, Hamburg has the biggest average living space of all major cities in the world. As much as 14% of the city area is made up of green spaces and recreational areas.

Hamburg has 2,302 bridges - more than Venice and Amsterdam combined. With over 90 consulates, Hamburg is second only to New York City in the world.

As a trade centre, Hamburg has always been outward-looking, and this has shaped the mentality of the inhabitants of Hamburg.

Come to Hamburg, Hamburg looks forward to your visit.

2006 study determined that Pittsburgh has 455 bridges, and with its proximity to three major rivers and countless hills and ravines, Pittsburgh as known as "The City of Bridges". Pittsburgh is the world record holder for bridges with piers and stands contained entirely within city limits, beating out Venice, Italy, the previous record holder by 8 bridges. There are many more bridges in Pittsburgh that are not counted toward the world record as they lack piers.

I'm sure Seattle didn't build 300 bridges in 3 years.

wow! bridges are surely expensive to maintain. they should do it old-fashioned way!

300px-Ekusileni.jpg

:giggle: no any futher details about this one?

plenty more for you :wave:

RiverFerry.jpg

it is called PONTOON. Those kind of pontoon is commonly found in Africa. It is usually moved by either hands or cattle pulling the rope. The bigger version of pontoon is powered by motor and it is commonly found in Europe.

Since someone mentioned about pontoon, we have 3 floating bridges in WA state. SR 520 and I-90 across Lake Washington in Seattle metro area, Hood Canal bridge in Northeast tip of Olympic Pennisula meeting the Kitsap Pennisula.

Here's a pic of SR 520 floating bridge that I drive to work on a daily basis. Don't worry, that's just during a very stormy day. This is the world's longest floating bridge, too.

2008-04-wind-sr-520-floating-bridge.jpg

Back