Deafness at work

Reaction score
How do you deal with being unable to hear other co-workers at work such as in social side of work like unable to follow convo?

Last edited:
I often find myself reminding my co works that I am HoH and can't hear them. But if I am in a loud environment and/or too many co works... well I tell them I can hear and most likely won't answer back. I have no found a 'fix' per say. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I have no good solutions for the social part. I usually eat lunch alone, or with signing friends, since I can't follow the conversations. (I'm HoH.) I only join coffee breaks occasionally when listening conditions are good. To some degree it's possible to compensate by talking to colleagues individually when it's quiet, but it do miss a lot of the small talk. Such as who is worrying about a sick child, or what someone was doing on the weekend or vacation. It has happened that I realize in the morning that a colleague is missing and that I am supposed to hold a presentation at an important customers meeting. Apparently they had been talking about it and assumed I had heard. Nevertheless, my colleagues are great at adjusting and making sure I get information. Otherwise these issues would be much more common. The largest problem is joining informal conversations. I do miss out on the social part. I would love to get a job in a signing environment.

I feel at home when I am signing with my one deaf co worker. Lucky for me I am just a house keeper and don't have to give presentation. I can see how frustrating it can be. I too think it would be great to get a signing job, the funny part is the deaf school in oregon is in my town and not that far away but I have never applied. You sound like your in an office business like deal, so I don't know any deaf office businesses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

How do you deal with being unable to hear other co-workers at work such as in social side of work like unable to follow convo?
I'm placed in my comfort zone. I work 11p to 7a so I'm trying to work and chill. I'm not usually even interested in their conversations because usually it's gossip!!! So to be honest most of the time I'm comfortable being hoh, not being able to hear those birds chirp. Now when I'm interested I usually get close to have eye contact as well.

What kinda of convo? if you can't hear their convo or don't know what they talking about, then Ask someone that you trusted or don't pay attention to the trivial(not importance).

I work outside most of the time... If coworkers want to talk to me, they get my attention. They all know I am deaf and that is fine. At first they did the normal things but have chilled a lot. If they are worth my time they will give me some of theirs to be able to conversate with. Otherwise I just do my job and go home, I do not have a job to make friends... I have one to make money... May seem harsh or mean but that is my opinion... :)

I think sometimes there is a misconception that you are a snob if you don't seem concerned to ask about people or ask them stuff other people know like if they were sick or so. I think people are too nosy, but some don't seem to mind to share. People know each other's business more than I know.

People talk in lunch room and most of the time you cannot follow, so you're quiet. Too much back and forth to bother asking what they are talking about. Ain't nobody got time for that!

This is what I struggle with. 8 out of 10 people that I tell, "I'm nearly deaf, sorry, I can't make what you're saying out" completely ignore this. They don't seem to believe that I really can't hear them. They continue speaking at the same level, or go, "oh, that's fine, so am I." (Most aren't)

I work outside most of the time... If coworkers want to talk to me, they get my attention. They all know I am deaf and that is fine. At first they did the normal things but have chilled a lot. If they are worth my time they will give me some of theirs to be able to conversate with. Otherwise I just do my job and go home, I do not have a job to make friends... I have one to make money... May seem harsh or mean but that is my opinion... :)

My opinion too. I am actively involved with the Deaf community so I do my socializing with them, not with my hearing co workers.

I don't wear my hearing aid at work. I only have hearing loss in one ear and most people don't even know I have it. sometimes I feel like I need to wear it but don't want people to treat me differently because of it.

I don't wear my hearing aid at work. I only have hearing loss in one ear and most people don't even know I have it. sometimes I feel like I need to wear it but don't want people to treat me differently because of it.
Most people don't notice or would treat you any differently. There are of course clueless people out there (on just about any topic) but thankfully there are not that many of those types and complete jerks.

My supervisors, and about 20 other co-workers all are deaf. Even CEO, and Human Resources manager who are hearing know ASL.

Lucky me.

Back