Stop saying you sign badly : a post to encourage beginners in ASL

journeyfree

Reaction score
I wrote this post because I feel there's no good reason for someone to criticize their own ASL. Learning to sign should be an enjoyable process, not something full of shaming until reaching a higher level of skills.

http://www.munkymind.com/blog/2016/02/13/stop-saying-you-sign-badly/

I hope this helps. Please share with anyone you know that might be interested!

:wave: :ty: I've seen some your site before and really like it - I've been one of the ones that I said/signed - my ASL is bad - true.

I'm hoh. Don't know if I was born that way or not. Docs told my folks I was missing inner ear bones, I was born very premature in the 70's. Was in Special Ed for speech and language as a child.

Became aware of hearing changes maybe about 7 or 8 years ago now. Hub's <hub oral deaf, raised mainstream soiltaire> HA dispenser gave me hearing test and found mild "loss" or hearing levels.

Good to see you on-

Very good read. I am hearing and I am in ASL 3. I still do not sign very good, but I am trying very hard. I do get involved in my Deaf community. I go to Deaf social and try to make friends there. It helps that my Deaf ASL teacher is in charge of the Deaf socials in my town. I forget signs all the time though and I want to try to get myself to stop doing that!

Back