Trouble with CI/Tinnitus?

Ernie / Ky

Reaction score
I have a Cochlear Americas N5 . I'm EX Military lost hearing being in Artillery and accidents over the years.

My question is....

Anyone having trouble with their CI's and having Audiologist (From the Vets Administration in my case) Cranking the volume up ten times above comfortable and disabling the sensitivity controls on half of max sensitivity and telling you to "GET USED TO IT"?

I also had this happen from a Cochlear Americas Audiologist from Columbus Ohio at a Vets Center a few months ago. Even after telling her to stop screaming at me(She wasn't...she had the volume that high) She said it was fine and most other people had it that high so it should be ok.

When I got the CI over 3 years ago I had some tinnitus but after being activated it got horribly worse and my quality of hearing has deteriorated. It's sort of like they dont want to admit the processor or surgery caused my problems and are now trying stupid things to try to get rid of it.

When its hurting my head to wear it...I don't... I sometimes get 2 hours a day out of it before tinnitus gets so horrible I can't wear it.

My tinnitus is now so bad I keep thinking bad thoughts...I've even thought about removing the implant....Myself

yeah, thats why I left my last audi and seeing a new audi Monday... told them to get used to NOT SEEING ANOTHER DIME FROM ME !!

You can see any Audiologist you want, you can contact your maker (cochlear, med-el, AB ) and see who they recommend or you can have a CI Representative to be at your next visit and they will trouble shoot and adjust it properly.

I can only see a VA Audiologist, Due to being a Vet I have no other choices....Have had the Cochlear America rep come once and she was no better than the rest...she set it to what she thought I needed and refused to listen to me telling her it was too loud.

If no one is listening to you, then I'd go to someone above every audiologist rep like a supervisor at Cochlear America and write a clear letter about what's been happening and how you don't have access to go somewhere else.

That's just mean and bad for Cochlear America. They need to tell you what's going on. You do not need to get used to anything. They should be able to lower things for you and it should not hurt or be uncomfortable. If you need to have your cochlear implant checked out, then ask a doctor to check it out.

If you are new, it is uncomfortable at first to adjust, but if you have had it for awhile, it should not be uncomfortable.

If no one is listening to you, then I'd go to someone above every audiologist rep like a supervisor at Cochlear America and write a clear letter about what's been happening and how you don't have access to go somewhere else.

That's just mean and bad for Cochlear America. They need to tell you what's going on. You do not need to get used to anything. They should be able to lower things for you and it should not hurt or be uncomfortable. If you need to have your cochlear implant checked out, then ask a doctor to check it out.

If you are new, it is uncomfortable at first to adjust, but if you have had it for awhile, it should not be uncomfortable.
I dont think its anything to do with cochlear, The VA is actually pretty brutal to vets.... everyone I know hats been to the VA says it sucks really bad there.

I dont think its anything to do with cochlear, The VA is actually pretty brutal to vets.... everyone I know hats been to the VA says it sucks really bad there.

Yep...

Sent from my SM-T217S using AllDeaf App mobile app

Strange thing...Have written Cochlear America before and never got an answer on my problems....Telling them I'll put myself cutting my implant out of my head and putting video on Youtube....Got an answer!...And yes....I can and will do it!

VA Healthcare? LOL!...Its a Joke! Had a guy die sitting beside me two years ago waiting on his appointment...Saw a guy come out of an elevator and fire a shot in the air with a pistol just to get a mental health appointment in less than a year! VA fixed by Obama?....BULLSH@T! Not even close!

I just realized and I over looked it early on... N5 ? Have you tried to get upgraded to N6, sooo much better.

I just realized and I over looked it early on... N5 ? Have you tried to get upgraded to N6, sooo much better.

VA will not replace the N5 with the N6 until all stockpiles are gone...When warranty is out on all and Cochlear stops repairing the N5..about 10 years or maybe a little more. Then we will get the outdated N6 while the rest of America enjoys the N8. The N5 is the processor the VA started with...anything before that and we got sign language school.

It's sort of like the news covered the VA giving Wounded Vets the newest in artificial limbs...Top of the line....In actuality it was to Guinea Pig it before Civilian release...I promise you most vets got leftover garbage from Viet Nam Era...Once the new limbs wear out on the vets that received them they too will be given leftover trash.

VA will not replace the N5 with the N6 until all stockpiles are gone...When warranty is out on all and Cochlear stops repairing the N5..about 10 years or maybe a little more. Then we will get the outdated N6 while the rest of America enjoys the N8. The N5 is the processor the VA started with...anything before that and we got sign language school.

It's sort of like the news covered the VA giving Wounded Vets the newest in artificial limbs...Top of the line....In actuality it was to Guinea Pig it before Civilian release...I promise you most vets got leftover garbage from Viet Nam Era...Once the new limbs wear out on the vets that received them they too will be given leftover trash.
Sadly thats true. I got Uncles from Nam, Korean wars... The VA isnt anything to brag about... as some friends have said. Have you or can you buy outright a private insurance policy, and drop it later after upgrading? Can you get medicare/medicaid as they help as well?

Some VA hospitals are now allowing veterans to outsource their care. Just last week I got a call from my local VA clinic and was given the option of going to the VA hospital in downtown Charleston (a long nerve-wracking drive) for one of the specialty clinics, or to choose a local civilian provider. I'm supposed to hear back from Healthnet about making an appointment. We'll see how it works out.

Getting into the specialty clinics can be difficult.

What fries me is that I'm turning 65 next month. I'm going to keep my VA health care thru Tricare but I'll also be required to take Medicare Part B and pay $129/month for that "privilege." Otherwise, I lose Medicare Part B and Tricare. I've searched to find out what I'll get from Part B that I don't get already from VA and the answer is -- nothing.

True, the latest and greatest prosthetic systems are not standard issue. Most veterans who want the best have to get them thru charitable organizations and fundraisers.

Ernie, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. I hope you can find someone who can help you. From what I understand, removing the implant is no guarantee that the tinnitus will stop. Our Vets deserve the best healthcare available. Best of luck.

:giggle:
Ernie, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. I hope you can find someone who can help you. From what I understand, removing the implant is no guarantee that the tinnitus will stop. Our Vets deserve the best healthcare available. Best of luck.

Right on the button, Angel. I do not have a CI or even a HA....but had and still have Tennitus for years and years. Feel it was do to head trauma and multiple surgeries.

Have seen many advertisements on FB for a "cure" for Tennitus...but I am skeptical about that.....

:giggle:

Right on the button, Angel. I do not have a CI or even a HA....but had and still have Tennitus for years and years. Feel it was do to head trauma and multiple surgeries.

Have seen many advertisements on FB for a "cure" for Tennitus...but I am skeptical about that.....

A few of the "cures" I've read on FB use a type of magnetic therapy which I doubt can be used if one has a CI.???????

I think talking about tinnitus is a good thing. When mine started I thought I was going crazy. I may be wrong but I think I read that 45 million people suffer greatly from tinnitus with a large portion of that number being our military. Being totally deaf does not always equal total silence. Tinnitus can be disabling for many.

Being totally deaf does not always equal total silence. Tinnitus can be disabling for many.

yep- without my hearing aids I can't hear... well anything (except maybe high pitched noises like some dogs bark at close range) and I still have tinnitus that some days is ridiculously annoying.

Back