"This job will require a hearing person. Deaf can't."

Ah, that's Kevin N. aka Kevbo, the third member to sign up here on AllDeaf.

It sucks that he was denied the job he was trying to apply for, but what many hearing people don't realize is that this happens a lot, and it's no wonder why many deaf people are jobless and dependent on government handouts.

My good buddy Dennis is deaf and I've helped him apply for different jobs last year, but he was never hired. We believe it's due to him being deaf. The last job he applied for was at a local Kmart for a warehouse position. They said his application looked good and everything, and that they were going to call him. They never did, so he went to the store in person and someone in management said they're concerned about his "safety", couldn't hire him and wished him luck.

Ah, I know him.

Yeah "Safety" My FIRST job interview was pretty good with one person about my skill,history, etc., then 2nd job interview with three people and he asked me seriously question about my "hearing" due safety. I told them, Yes, I can HEAR almost anything as noise like horn,diesel motor running, brake air line leaking, etc., but I won't understand the words from someone's speak so much with my hearing aid on. I got hired right away and happy with that job for almost a year.

Ah, I know him.

Yeah "Safety" My FIRST job interview was pretty good with one person about my skill,history, etc., then 2nd job interview with three people and he asked me seriously question about my "hearing" due safety. I told them, Yes, I can HEAR almost anything as noise like horn,diesel motor running, brake air line leaking, etc., but I won't understand the words from someone's speak so much with my hearing aid on. I got hired right away and happy with that job for almost a year.
What I don't understand about safety is that many deaf people (not talking about HOH at all) are able to work in warehouses. Kmart didn't hire Dennis because of safety? Oh, please...Dennis could work in the warehouse like every other deaf workers at other warehouses. That's a poor excuse for Kmart not to hire him.

Even tho' I'm retired now, I remember pounding the pavement looking and applying for jobs. Filling out many applications too, taking many tests also. And even tho' I passed them, I was never called back...why?...It was my deafness.

So I moved to a big city and had better luck. Also, I had training, which I feel would benefit the deaf when they are looking for a job.
Yeah, that's what VR is for. They are there to help disabled people with no/low income to pay for trainings if needed before finding a job.

However, Kevin has some experiences so he could have that job but the company turned him down because he is deaf. I think he should get a lawyer.

Yeah, that's what VR is for. They are there to help disabled people with no/low income to pay for trainings if needed before finding a job.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Not always. In all the years I've used VR services not once did I get offered any kind of training or money to GET training (aside from college for BA degree). The only services I COULD get both times I was out of work and with zero income was hearing aids; and one now 25 year old FM system when i WAS working). One counselor even told me that there wasn't ANY kind of VR training for a person at my level (i.e. 'not low functioning' or with no experience- I already had years of experience working). Job training services seem to go to those who are developmentally delayed, possibly newly disabled in some form or multihandicapped to a degree that conventional workplaces may not work for them.

Maybe it depends on the state I don't know but even now I get the feeling VR is somewhat reluctant to pay for any schooling (for a second degree) for me.

Maybe I'm wrong and if deaf folks were able to get additional job training through VR good for them.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Not always. In all the years I've used VR services not once did I get offered any kind of training or money to GET training (aside from college for BA degree). The only services I COULD get both times I was out of work and with zero income was hearing aids; and one now 25 year old FM system when i WAS working). One counselor even told me that there wasn't ANY kind of VR training for a person at my level (i.e. 'not low functioning' or with no experience- I already had years of experience working). Job training services seem to go to those who are developmentally delayed, possibly newly disabled in some form or multihandicapped to a degree that conventional workplaces may not work for them.

Maybe it depends on the state I don't know but even now I get the feeling VR is somewhat reluctant to pay for any schooling (for a second degree) for me.

Maybe I'm wrong and if deaf folks were able to get additional job training through VR good for them.
That's what I mean. You already went to college and you can't find a job. Don't expect VR to pay for other training you are interested in while you are well-educated. You are correct that VR supports people who are not educated or trained. VR has over hundreds of jobs listed. If you are well-educated and VR can't find one for you, then you are on your own. That's what happened to me after I got an AAS in data processing at NTID a long time ago. In other words, if I never worked and had no training right out of high school, VR would ask me what kind of work I wanted. If I chose welding, it would send me to welding course to pass and VR would find me a welding job if available.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about safety is that many deaf people (not talking about HOH at all) are able to work in warehouses. Kmart didn't hire Dennis because of safety? Oh, please...Dennis could work in the warehouse like every other deaf workers at other warehouses. That's a poor excuse for Kmart not to hire him.

I almost got hit by a forklift in the warehouse when my aid hearing dead that times. Forklifts always horn each corner and blind spot. My new job is very dangerous because trailer's rear is very blind spot and they have built-in backup alarm.

Last edited:
I almost got hit by a forklift in the warehouse when my aid hearing dead that times. Forklifts always horn each corner and blind spot. My new job is very dangerous because trailer's rear is very blind spot and they have built-in backup alarm.
Are you telling me that deaf people who don't wear HA or CI should not work in a warehouse?

No, he just simply point out how dangerous it is without hearing aid, that is all. What that means is that Deaf without hearing aid needs to increase their awareness and take extra step to prevent accidents.

Are you telling me that deaf people who don't wear HA or CI should not work in a warehouse?

No, he just simply point out how dangerous it is without hearing aid, that is all. What that means is that Deaf without hearing aid needs to increase their awareness and take extra step to prevent accidents.
Then why wasn't Dennis hired? Because the interviewer confirmed that Dennis couldn't take extra steps because he can't hear? Honestly, it's so full of shit because I and other deaf co-workers work on the workfloor where there are so many mules and forklifts everywhere 24/7.

I agreed, its called "Fear Factor" Hence, Evidently fear is the factor for idiot hearing person who decided not to hire.

Then why wasn't Dennis hired? Because the interviewer confirmed that Dennis couldn't take extra steps because he can't hear? Honestly, it's so full of shit because I and other deaf co-workers work on the workfloor where there are so many mules and forklifts everywhere 24/7.

I agreed, its called "Fear Factor" Hence, Evidently fear is the factor for idiot hearing person who decided not to hire.
Is that a fear factor the same as an act of discrimination?

"This job will require a hearing person. Deaf can't"... I would understand that if this job requires communication with hearing people like answering phone calls, etc but on a workfloor like in a warehouse, OSHA requires a forklifter/mule driver to stop for pedestrian traffic. Those companies know that but they don't want deaf people. That's a fact.

Had to take 10 deep breaths when I read this and watched the video...very angry!...

Happens a lot. I'm requesting a hardship transfer to an office closer to home. My father had a heart attack in May of last year and I was the last to know because no one wanted me to drive an hour under stress. My commute is two hours a day. I have excellent reviews, get along with my supervisors and coworkers and I might not get the transfer because of my hearing loss. Amazing, we'll give illegals social security, a driver's license and free education but no one is willing to accommodate deafness.....

Laura

What I mean is that they have fear that one may get in accident with new employee, thus jack up their company work comp insurance premium, which would cost them dearly in long run. I do not know if that is true that workers comp would increase, but the likelihood of it happen seems to be plausible. Just like any claim one makes, then it would jack up the cost to insure in future.

Would you lend your car to just about anyone? Probably not, cause your insurance rate will go up once they get in accident and your stuck with it. Discrimination? Afraid yes.

Is that a fear factor the same as an act of discrimination?

"This job will require a hearing person. Deaf can't"... I would understand that if this job requires communication with hearing people like answering phone calls, etc but on a workfloor like in a warehouse, OSHA requires a forklifter/mule driver to stop for pedestrian traffic. Those companies know that but they don't want deaf people. That's a fact.

I've been having a wicked hard time finding a job at a nicer spa that pays more money. The chains and smaller ones have no problem hiring me, but the high end ones? There isn't a doubt in my mind they're scared of me. I have 5 years experience do Swedish, deep tissue/therapeutic, hot stone, prenatal and sports. All the experience and modalities that they like to see in new hires. BUT not one of them has even had me do a practical, that's like an audition, a massage on someone thAt works there. This is what I've noticed, if I do a practical on someone they want me to start, like tomorrow. But these nicer places won't even let me get that far. I WISH I could catch them like this. Assholes.

Sometimes, they should think about giving them two weeks trial to see how they do on the job and I wouldn't be surprised on how amazed they are from watching these deaf poeple doing a good job! *facepalms*

I've been having a wicked hard time finding a job at a nicer spa that pays more money. The chains and smaller ones have no problem hiring me, but the high end ones? There isn't a doubt in my mind they're scared of me. I have 5 years experience do Swedish, deep tissue/therapeutic, hot stone, prenatal and sports. All the experience and modalities that they like to see in new hires. BUT not one of them has even had me do a practical, that's like an audition, a massage on someone thAt works there. This is what I've noticed, if I do a practical on someone they want me to start, like tomorrow. But these nicer places won't even let me get that far. I WISH I could catch them like this. Assholes.

Then, why not you set up your own spa business? A several Deaf people set up their own businesses.

Then, why not you set up your own spa business? A several Deaf people set up their own businesses.

Very $$$ because spa equipment and products are $$ if one wants good quality stuff.

Very $$$ because spa equipment and products are $$ if one wants good quality stuff.

Not only that not everyone WANTS to run their own business either because of the stress, lousy business sense or just not a people person (with self employment you have to do a LOT of leg work and contacts etc). That is why I don't want to at least. That and I'm not exactly THAT disciplined in something like this lol.

Not only that not everyone WANTS to run their own business either because of the stress, lousy business sense or just not a people person (with self employment you have to do a LOT of leg work and contacts etc). That is why I don't want to at least. That and I'm not exactly THAT disciplined in something like this lol.

Yea, it is hard work. My dad starting his own business is what caused my parents to split up when I was 10. He was working insane hours and never home because he needed to put the time into his newly established business. Now, he happily retired.

yup my father and a friend of his started up their own business-- worked at it for 10 years or so before selling it. LONG hours especially driving between the two locations- the original was further away, the 2nd closer to home. Luckily we were allowed to at least visit the stores and hang out in the back lol. My parents weathered that pretty well though and are happily retired now.

In retrospect.. don't know if he'd do it again or not...

Back