"This job will require a hearing person. Deaf can't."

rockin'robin

Reaction score
One man was denied a job because he is Deaf. The president of the company left a video message for him to call back about his job application but recanted the offer once he realized he was speaking through an interpreter. Now, the company is saying it "was just a misunderstanding." What do you think?

http://www.watchdhn.com/#!vpmessage/c1klo

The guy is trying to cover his sorry ass to avoid a discrimination case against his company.

For those of you who are relatively new here, stories like this one are a dime a dozen......

For those of you who are relatively new here, stories like this one are a dime a dozen......

I agree but this time the discriminating person was busted and tried to cover his butt. BUSTED...

That's why my initial post is so strong because it happens more than a dozen times. Too much.

Had to take 10 deep breaths when I read this and watched the video...very angry!...

it pissed me off too when I read the title of the thread . I was the only health aide that was able to prove one off our client that had Alzheimer's was being abused by her husband .
My boss told they could not prove this when I got the case , my boss knew I was very observing b/c I was hoh . None of the hearing health aide were able to help get the poor woman away from her abusive husband . Being deaf or hoh is not a handicap you become more aware of what going on around you.

Now anyone who opposes deaf people receiving SSI, pay attention. See, a lot of employers turn us away. Nothing new, therefore a deafness is on an official disability list under government law.

I had same issue. I couldnt find a permanent job after a layoff of 12 years. I sent my resume to my cousin who is a recruiter to look it over and make changes. he told me to remove the relay number and use a hearing one. I changed it to my parents and got all kinds of offers that week. One company I did a call back and I used VCO. He was clueless I was deaf until he said he wanted a second interview and want to confirm the callback number instead of going to my parants as my mom answered the phone first and told him i would call back. I told him my new number and said dont worry - its a relay number for the deaf and just converse normally with me after I get VCO up. he was uhhhhhh ahem. ok errrr .. cough cough. Sure uhhhh hmm no problem -- ill uhh um call you back. Sure enough the Bas@#d did not call back. I called to follow up and he said -- ohh umm sorry job been filled. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

Sadly this happens too many times and we are powerless to sue under the ADA law and discrimination since there is no "clear cut" proof that hearing people want to see. NOBODY wants to take our cases based on our say so even though it really happened and sadly - the situation cannot be replicated since HR, interviewers learns from the previous incident and tries to screen better to prevent hiring disabled. its a said fact but its RAMPANT in the USA!!!!

I had same issue. I couldnt find a permanent job after a layoff of 12 years. I sent my resume to my cousin who is a recruiter to look it over and make changes. he told me to remove the relay number and use a hearing one. I changed it to my parents and got all kinds of offers that week. One company I did a call back and I used VCO. He was clueless I was deaf until he said he wanted a second interview and want to confirm the callback number instead of going to my parants as my mom answered the phone first and told him i would call back. I told him my new number and said dont worry - its a relay number for the deaf and just converse normally with me after I get VCO up. he was uhhhhhh ahem. ok errrr .. cough cough. Sure uhhhh hmm no problem -- ill uhh um call you back. Sure enough the Bas@#d did not call back. I called to follow up and he said -- ohh umm sorry job been filled. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

Sadly this happens too many times and we are powerless to sue under the ADA law and discrimination since there is no "clear cut" proof that hearing people want to see. NOBODY wants to take our cases based on our say so even though it really happened and sadly - the situation cannot be replicated since HR, interviewers learns from the previous incident and tries to screen better to prevent hiring disabled. its a said fact but its RAMPANT in the USA!!!!
EEO is only good for deaf employees. Not before they are not hired, like you said, you have to have hard evidences that you are not hired because you are deaf. That's so full of shit. The VRS video in the OP is a proof, wondering if EEO will accept it as an evidence or not. Deaf can't? WTF?

Ah, that's Kevin N. aka Kevbo, the third member to sign up here on AllDeaf.

It sucks that he was denied the job he was trying to apply for, but what many hearing people don't realize is that this happens a lot, and it's no wonder why many deaf people are jobless and dependent on government handouts.

My good buddy Dennis is deaf and I've helped him apply for different jobs last year, but he was never hired. We believe it's due to him being deaf. The last job he applied for was at a local Kmart for a warehouse position. They said his application looked good and everything, and that they were going to call him. They never did, so he went to the store in person and someone in management said they're concerned about his "safety", couldn't hire him and wished him luck.

Ah, that's Kevin N. aka Kevbo, the third member to sign up here on AllDeaf.

It sucks that he was denied the job he was trying to apply for, but what many hearing people don't realize is that this happens a lot, and it's no wonder why many deaf people are jobless and dependent on government handouts.

My good buddy Dennis is deaf and I've helped him apply for different jobs last year, but he was never hired. We believe it's due to him being deaf. The last job he applied for was at a local Kmart for a warehouse position. They said his application looked good and everything, and that they were going to call him. They never did, so he went to the store in person and someone in management said they're concerned about his "safety", couldn't hire him and wished him luck.
Did Dennis file a complaint agianst Kmart to EEO? If so, what was its decision?

Even tho' I'm retired now, I remember pounding the pavement looking and applying for jobs. Filling out many applications too, taking many tests also. And even tho' I passed them, I was never called back...why?...It was my deafness.

So I moved to a big city and had better luck. Also, I had training, which I feel would benefit the deaf when they are looking for a job.

Going through all that right now with trying to find a job.... it's a triple whammy- no 'recent experience' (due to the nice little gap now), my age and my deafness.

Maybe I'll get lucky again like I did before but it is getting harder as I can't seem to hear well enough on phones anymore- I can but it's getting harder to comprehend/clearly understand what they're saying.

Going through all that right now with trying to find a job.... it's a triple whammy- no 'recent experience' (due to the nice little gap now), my age and my deafness.

Maybe I'll get lucky again like I did before but it is getting harder as I can't seem to hear well enough on phones anymore- I can but it's getting harder to comprehend/clearly understand what they're saying.

Same here with the age & hearing.

I have a vm from someone to set up a phone interview for a job I applied for (not sure which one though since I applied for more than one at that company with similar titles). I can't pick up his name and barely understood all the digits of his phone # and I would say he does not have an accent. Wish he would have followed up with an email. I will try calling him later when I get home.

EEO is a joke. At my last job years ago, I gave the HR tech the name of 1-2 sign language interpreting agencies. She really appreciated it and the company got a terp for my interview. 2nd rounds again too and I got the job. Sometimes we deaf are at fault too for not educating the company.

Iam lucky I got this job working with hearing people because they were desperate to find a teacher who is certified in deaf Ed but if there were other applicants who are hearing applying for this job, I doubt I would t have been chosen despite having 11 years of experience under my belt. At work I face discrimination and ignorance but it is getting better because right from the beginning, I was very vocal about advocating for myself. Still a long way to go.

Last edited:
EEO is a joke. At my last job years ago, I gave the HR tech the name of 1-2 sign language interpreting agencies. She really appreciated it and the company got a terp for my interview. 2nd rounds again too and I got the job. Sometimes we deaf are at fault too for not educating the company.
That doesn't mean all other companies will do the same, even the tel numbers of interpreter services were given to them.

EEO is helpful when you are already an employee. About 4 deaf USPS workers (machine operators) filed a complaint against one supervisor for an act of discrimination and they won. It took over one year since there were so many complaints on the list. First come, first serve. Small claims court complaints are no difference.

As for not hiring a person for being deaf, I remember what DHB said, that one has to have a proof that shows an act of discrimination done by a company. That's tough to prove. Guess what? The companies which refuse to hire deaf people get away with it. That sucks.

Did Dennis file a complaint agianst Kmart to EEO? If so, what was its decision?

The Kmart in my city got fined for not being wheelchair accessible , the aisles
had so much junk in the way that people using W/C did not get through them. I told the manger this a few times and they moved the junk but that did not last long . I guess someone reported the store b/c they had a sign up about the settlement they had to pay.

I understand how your feels. Happen to me like 5-6 times since 2000.

Back