Deaf boy left on school bus; mom demands answers

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf boy left on school bus; mom demands answers - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTNV.com,Action News .:.

A mother is demanding answers after her 8 year-old son is forgotten on a school bus and left alone in the bus yard.

"He's still scared to ride the bus. This has changed him," says Jessi Hart.

Making matters worse, her son Hunter is deaf. He was riding a special needs bus at the time and Hart believes the driver should have been even more alert.

The incident happened April 7th when Hunter was on his way to Roundy Elementary School. Hunter fell asleep in the back of the bus and missed his stop. The driver continued back to the bus lot and went home, leaving Hunter inside.

Approximately 15 minutes went by before another driver at the lot noticed, and got Hunter out.

"She [the driver] could have killed my son. I have every right to know what happened to that woman or if she's still driving a bus," says Hart. "And that's all I wanted to know."

She contacted Action News for help and we set out to get answers.

"All I can say is procedures were not followed," says Lauren Longmire, Clark County School District Bus Operations Coordinator. "Had they been followed correctly than this would not have happened."

The district says the bus is supposed to be thoroughly sweeped twice; once at the school when the kids get off and again at the bus yard. In this case, the driver placed a red flag in the rear window signifying the bus was empty when clearly it was not.

Two weeks later mom and Hunter still can't get answer's on what action is being taken against this driver.

"That's not okay with me. I want to know she is not out there driving another child around or out there leaving another child, as the days get hotter, on a bus," says Hart.

The school district insists they are taking this very seriously.

"She can rest assured that we are taking every step measurable, possible, to make sure this is rectified," says Longmire.

The investigation is ongoing, but the district says even when it is complete they will not release what action is taken against this driver, calling it a personnel issue.

Aren't all bus drivers supposed to check the bus before they sign out?

Aren't all bus drivers supposed to check the bus before they sign out?

YES, they are suppose to check the bus before they leave the bus. They are also suppose to check and make sure there's NOTHING left behind on the bus.

I know that some of the bus drivers that cart my son to and from school are good and some really suck. Personally I thing the drivers for the deaf kids should be deaf themselves.

That driver should be fired! She put the child safety at great risk! I am glad the boy is ok! This has happen a few times in my state, a child was left on a bus for hours before anyone realze they still on the bus! The driver was too damn lazy to check the bus and see that all the kids have gotten off!She has deaf kids on her bus and she should be making all the kids all getting off at the right stop. There should a check list for the drive to check off for each child getting on or off te bus! If a child name is not check off , the child should looked for right away! Not found 15 minutes later!

If this happened in the summer, the child has higher risk of getting sick if left behind in the bus.

I hope the boy and his family will get the answers they want.

Back