Teacher Tells Kids There Is No Santa Claus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that most, if not all, people who are anti-lying about Santa wouldn't do what the teacher did anyway. I think they would just simply brush it off instead of going along with the lie or refute it outright.

"Yea! I know where North Pole is. It's where Santa lives!"

"Anyway......"

So...how does a teacher agree that it is where Santa lives, but then tell them the accuracy of the fact that there are no permanent inhabitants of the North Pole?

I remember discovering the Easter bunny toys before Easter when I was 7 or 8 years old in one of my parent's closets. Years later, I told my mother about it and got in trouble for "spoiling her fun" right away. It was the custom for my little sister and me to get Easter baskets filled with chocolates and stuffed bunnies for Easter.

You kept pretending to believe even after you knew the truth? That doesn't surprise me in the least. As I said earlier, most kids do.

So, if this teacher merely confirmed something the kids already knew, the parents' overreaction is even more out of line. Just because a parent believes that a kid still believes in Santa doesn't mean the kid does. It just means the kid hasn't told their parents that they don't believe in Santa.

Few kids that are of the age to start loosing baby teeth really believe in the tooth fairy, either. But they keep up the pretense so they will keep finding the money under their pillow. After all, if Mom and Dad don't have to put it there to convince the kid of the tooth fairy's existence, they would have no reason to pay off on a lost tooth.

Kids are a lot smarter than most give them credit for. Just because they can't articulate it doesn't mean they don't know it.

That reminded me of a story I read in Reader's Digest. There were identical twin boys who get same gifts. One of them is slow and continue to believe in Santa. The other twin teased him alot. That christmas day, the boy noticed that his twin got an extra gift (from Santa) and realized he had been outsmarted as he is one less gift. His twin just gave him a big grin. Smart boy eventhough he is slow!

So...how does a teacher agree that it is where Santa lives, but then tell them the accuracy of the fact that there are no permanent inhabitants of the North Pole?

I'd simply insist that there are no permanent inhabitants on Earth, then if the child asks about Santa, I'd just use the "ask your parents" card.

In a way, telling them the truth about North Pole (no inhabitants), and making them ask their parents about the "Santa" part is still "catching them on their lie". To me, it's the same effect but a helluva lot nicer than telling the kids outright.

Unless the parent goes so far to tell the child "well your teacher is lying" then.. that's just scary....

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Our daughter started not to believe Santa doesn't exist. She is 9 years old. Her brother whom is 6 years old has suspected a little but still believe in Santa. I was about 7 or 8 when I stopped believing because of moms handwriting looked a bit familiar.

Yes! That was it! That was how I believed that my friend's older brother was telling the truth about Santa not being real. He told us when we were young to be mean but I refused to believe him until I started noticing that the handwriting was the same as my mom's. I dont remember if I confronted her about it or just kept on pretending that I still believed in Santa. One thing I know for sure that it made me love and appreciate my mom more despite her lies. :lol:

I'd say by next year, he will be challenging you on it.:giggle: Girls generally figure it out a little sooner than boys because their maturity level tends to be a bit ahead of boys.

I actually have seen a couple studies done on this in the past. (No, I can't cite them...I read them years ago in relationship to a class on child development).:P But the conclusion is that children know an average of 1-1.5 years that Santa is not real before they actually confront their parents about it.

If he does challenge me, then I will tell him the truth. I dont want to make the decision for him. I would rather when he is ready so until then, we talk about how Christmas is for giving. I had plans on taking him and my daughter to the mall over Thanksgiving weekend to donate to Toys for Tots but my son got sick with the flu. Then, I was going to do it with him the past weekend...got sick with the flu myself. Hopefully this weekend. As for my daughter, I will have her volunteer with me at a homeless shelter or something over the summer. My ex takes her to help volunteer for those who are in need. Despite his poor history with relationships, at least he does that with her in AZ so I am happy about that.

That reminded me of a story I read in Reader's Digest. There were identical twin boys who get same gifts. One of them is slow and continue to believe in Santa. The other twin teased him alot. That christmas day, the boy noticed that his twin got an extra gift (from Santa) and realized he had been outsmarted as he is one less gift. His twin just gave him a big grin. Smart boy eventhough he is slow!

:laugh2: That's a good one.

If he does challenge me, then I will tell him the truth. I dont want to make the decision for him. I would rather when he is ready so until then, we talk about how Christmas is for giving. I had plans on taking him and my daughter to the mall over Thanksgiving weekend to donate to Toys for Tots but my son got sick with the flu. Then, I was going to do it with him the past weekend...got sick with the flu myself. Hopefully this weekend. As for my daughter, I will have her volunteer with me at a homeless shelter or something over the summer. My ex takes her to help volunteer for those who are in need. Despite his poor history with relationships, at least he does that with her in AZ so I am happy about that.

You are doing it exactly the way I would.

Sorry to hear about your flu. Been there, done that, no fun! I still have a cough.

Awww..how cute.

I'd simply insist that there are no permanent inhabitants on Earth, then if the child asks about Santa, I'd just use the "ask your parents" card.

In a way, telling them the truth about North Pole (no inhabitants), and making them ask their parents about the "Santa" part is still "catching them on their lie". To me, it's the same effect but a helluva lot nicer than telling the kids outright.

Unless the parent goes so far to tell the child "well your teacher is lying" then.. that's just scary....

Playing semantic games with 2nd graders heads. Shame on you!:lol:

I got my flu shots this year and so far I don't have the flu. (knockong on wood.)

My son got them last month but still got the flu. Go figure.

Dang! Must have been a strain they didn't vaccinate for. They say the flu is always one strain ahead of the vaccinations. Remember the Swine flu epidemic a few years ago? It wasn't included in the vaccinations being given and they were busting their butts trying to manufacture vaccines to try and control the spread somehow. No one expected to see the outbreak.

I would have told my own kids what I think but not in classrooms.. That said, I think the parents overreacted in this case.

1. When?
2. We already know this about the dingbat parents; we are talking about the teacher.

If the teacher has told my kid that santa claus doesn't exit, oh boy I will be so pissed at the teacher. I want to pass down to my children of magic of Christmas, the Santa Claus and the spirit of it.

I honestly don't think it's lying to tell kids that there is santa claus because in a way it is true.... its us parents that are the santa claus. I found out santa doesn't exist when I was about 9 years old when I caught my mom putting stuff into easter basket night before easter.

Through Generations of my family, we been told that Santa does exist and I plan to pass down the tradition of that magical believe. Ricky's family does the same thing... so we both believe in same thing... so in the future when we have more children, we plan to pass down the tradition of believing in Santa. Both of our family is huge fan on Christmas.

I know I was SO spoiled while growing up... I get TONS and TONS of gifts from my family for Xmas.... and I think I turned out just fine. I learned to appreciate things and I like getting together with my family, even while I was growing up, I loved seeing my grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins.

Now my son is also getting spoiled for Xmas as well, from his great grandparents, his grandparents, his parents, his aunts/uncles and godparents. I don't see anything wrong with that.... You only get to be a kid once in your lifetime, so let him enjoy the moments of being a kid, not having worry about responsibility in the adult world. His behavior is good, he doesn't act like a spoil brat kid, he knows how to share and he behaves really good.

Anyways, It's NOT ok for the teacher to tell children that santa doesn't exist... it's not in her place to say it... it's the parent's right to say it. I'm angry at her, what she did is NOT acceptable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back