SSI Overpayment

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you received any overpayment from SSI?

I have received overpayment from SSI after got guide from someone over situation with SSI, I had called SSI via phone in 2 years ago and let them know about got job but they haven't make information or document, such as change or cancel the SSI payment and make easier for me to assume that SSI keep support me due income but really not true. I had met someone and gave me a guide to SSA office and need let them know in person, they got it and found out that I make too much money then stopped and they said I have owe alot of money to SSI due overpayment.

It wasn't my fault about situation with SSI and wouldn't use call via phone to SSA office anymore because they couldn't handle with call and rather to let them know in person, that's pisses me off.

I'm currently fill out the waiver paperwork and will send it soon, also if not then I'm going to find legal appeal.

Yes 30 years ago when we got married my husband had this happen. We had to pay it all back. They did take payments.

Back when I graduated I received SSI temporary. I told them as soon as I got a job. I went to the office and told them my wages and told them to stop the SSI payments.
I still gotten checks from them. I sent them back without cashing them. Knowing that it would be an overpayment.

Sorry that you are going through this.

Did you file taxes this year? If you did they can keep your income tax refund to reimburse what you owe. That is how many people get caught with over payments.

SS people have hard time on tracking of peoples work history. Anyone who happen to return to work they SHOULD do is either return their checks or fill out the work reports and eye to eye with claim representatives. Claims representatives can't remember too many people who called and inform that they return to work. The best thing is to fill out the work history report (ssa-821) and copy for yourself and the original forms to THEM. that way you would not get overpaid and they will notice that your working then they either stop the checks or contact you to come into the SS office.

anyone who wants to go back to work or part time or little work. They ALL NEED to make copy of pay stubs and fill out the SSA 821. PERIOD with no discussion any futher queestion. :cool2:

sorry IRS treasury are MORE anal and told SSA not to waive anyone who DID work and get overpaid. SAD!

I am one of those overpaid too, years ago and paid off to SSA's debts. WHEW!

Yes... I got overpayment because I got job. When I reported the tax return in 2006, SSA found out about my job. They said I did not report my job to them but I did report them over the phone. That LIE! They did never input the wages(paystubs) from my work on their computer. It make me boiled out. Well, I paid off debts. I knew they alway refuse to waive paperwork and smell your money grrr. I NEVER trust SSA people period. That SUCK!!

not sure how it is now, but i received those for a brief time and when i had other income coming in and they canceled the SSI payments and told me i was over paid and would have to pay it back UNLESS i could prove it would cause hardship to pay it back. and they did arrange a payment plan for repayment. think it was $20 or $30 a month. if you set that up stay on those payments that were arranged whatever the dollar amount is. when i was repaying it i had a little spare money one month so i sent a check in for $100 for payment and the next bill i got they expected another $100 payment(listed the current payment due as $100) i called and complained they said since i paid $100 last month they took it i could do it from now on. told them no and they set it up as the original payment again.

sorry IRS treasury are MORE anal and told SSA not to waive anyone who DID work and get overpaid. SAD!

I am one of those overpaid too, years ago and paid off to SSA's debts. WHEW!

Yes... I got overpayment because I got job. When I reported the tax return in 2006, SSA found out about my job. They said I did not report my job to them but I did report them over the phone. That LIE! They did never input the wages(paystubs) from my work on their computer. It make me boiled out. Well, I paid off debts. I knew they alway refuse to waive paperwork and smell your money grrr. I NEVER trust SSA people period. That SUCK!!

Ugh, that's sounds like no fun over situation with SSA.

If you have enough strength then you can find legal appeal.

I'm going get deal with stupid SSA, however I will switch from Verizon to att due cheap monthly plan to make up of my income.

Next time, I will going to SSA office and talk in person instead of call service.

Ugh, that's sounds like no fun over situation with SSA.

If you have enough strength then you can find legal appeal.

I'm going get deal with stupid SSA, however I will switch from Verizon to att due cheap monthly plan to make up of my income.

Next time, I will going to SSA office and talk in person instead of call service.

first of all, i am so sorry. SSA will need to look at your salary, your bills, budget history and then they will settle down on the amount of $ that you can afford to pay back to SSA per months. Just do your best to fight for the amount of $ that you can afford to pay back.

In case, thought anyone need to know that anyone who is overpaid, and decide not to cooperative with SSA right away. Later then, the IRS will grab the refund tax from whose people working and expect to get the refund tax, not. It is the best thing to be cooperative with SSA and settle down with paying $ monthly to the overpayment. So IRS would not touch the refund taxes. :cool2:

If you are planning to work or is working just to make sure you dont earn too much money. The SSA will allow you to earn about $940.00 a month or less without losing your SSA or overpayment. IF you earn more then $940.00 a month then either SSA cut the SSA to a lower amount or stop. It is depend how much money you make in a month.

I work part time and I can only make so much money in a month. My boss knows that. There is one other person that work with me is also on SSA. So we both know what to do.

I did report to SSA and they asked me how much money and how many hours also told me that is part time and dont need to report but if I was gotta make more then $940.00 then I would have to report it to them.

I know a few ppl who work full time and never report to SSA which I have warned them and they didnt listen to me. Guess what they have to pay back the overpayment. What a shame!!

I paid them $2,000 overpayment last year and a few months ago, I get a letter, I owe them $1,600, that pisses me off so there is nothing I can do, I now owe $900 and will be using the tax refund to pay them all off to get it over with!

If you are planning to work or is working just to make sure you dont earn too much money. The SSA will allow you to earn about $940.00 a month or less without losing your SSA or overpayment. IF you earn more then $940.00 a month then either SSA cut the SSA to a lower amount or stop. It is depend how much money you make in a month.

I work part time and I can only make so much money in a month. My boss knows that. There is one other person that work with me is also on SSA. So we both know what to do.

I did report to SSA and they asked me how much money and how many hours also told me that is part time and dont need to report but if I was gotta make more then $940.00 then I would have to report it to them.

I know a few ppl who work full time and never report to SSA which I have warned them and they didnt listen to me. Guess what they have to pay back the overpayment. What a shame!!

I did reported to SSA via phone and they don't get it, I don't find out until 2 years.

yea to be honest, too many people calling claims representatives that they can't handle with phones and dont have enough to input into anyone's systems. The paystubs and ssa 821 forms would be plenty of information. Anyone who is on benefits and work, should check on claims representative to follow up to see what is the status of their benefits that won't lead to being overpaid or need the forms or anything every month.

I did reported to SSA via phone and they don't get it, I don't find out until 2 years.

A friend of mine who graduated from Gallaudet 12 years ago. Guess what, SSDI Office sent him a letter that he owes 21,000 dollars. :shock: Oh dear, he was so pissed off. Why wait 12 years later ?

yea too many people are all over usa who are on benefits and working at the same time. Poor claims reprentatives are trying to keep tracking of those people who dont report at all. =( the folders are all flooding all over in the office. :shock:

sometimes people don't reply to SSA. people moved to other state and state. SSA couldn't find them until they settle down then they find them in 10 to 20 years later. :aw:

SS people have hard time on tracking of peoples work history. Anyone who happen to return to work they SHOULD do is either return their checks or fill out the work reports and eye to eye with claim representatives. Claims representatives can't remember too many people who called and inform that they return to work. The best thing is to fill out the work history report (ssa-821) and copy for yourself and the original forms to THEM. that way you would not get overpaid and they will notice that your working then they either stop the checks or contact you to come into the SS office.

anyone who wants to go back to work or part time or little work. They ALL NEED to make copy of pay stubs and fill out the SSA 821. PERIOD with no discussion any futher queestion. :cool2:

Well, I think the Claims reps SHOULD remember who called and whether they are working. That is their job. If the OP called, then she shouldn't have to pay. That's all their should be to it. This is wrong. I am so sorry you are going through this.

First of all, I´m sorry what and how you had through.

Never, never notify SSI, SSA or whatever via phone but in writing...

First of all, I´m sorry what and how you had through.

Never, never notify SSI, SSA or whatever via phone but in writing...

Yup, thanks, I'm sorry about bad treat to you because of foreign in other thread.

For second, yup or go to SSA office and talk in person.

Well, I think the Claims reps SHOULD remember who called and whether they are working. That is their job. If the OP called, then she shouldn't have to pay. That's all their should be to it. This is wrong. I am so sorry you are going through this.

yes I agree that Claims reps should remember who. but its VERY COMMON for them forget to INPUT into the SSA system. I dont know why they did that. remind you that everyone call SSA office every minutes without break. Thats why Claims rep constantly says, "fill out the form on anything" to give face to face in person. If someone who returns to work, they SHOULD fill out the forms, not calling because Claims rep need to know how many hours, how much did it pays, how many day does this person work, and mroe questiones. =?

can you handle with 1 million people calling you all day? no. they also have to deal with claimants in person everyday. ANyone need to fill out on anything papers and mail to SSA office. They woudl take care of papers because it says everything from there.

Yes, the best way is to go to any SS office to face the claimant in person in order to stop ss payments instead of calling SS on phone. They won't do it unless you go to SS office to put stop on it. It happened to me twice in the past. I owed SSI $1400 and paid it off before I moved to Las Vegas. Many years later, I had SSDI (for four years). I got overpayment of SSDI and applied a waiver to eliminate that amount, but unfortunately, NJ SS claimant was being smart ass with me. I was gulped cuz he bluntly told me that I knew how SS system work, etc. He even said if I don't have any evidence of relay calls about SS system, so my amount would be 100% waived, but I ended up paying $1777.40 (instead of 3240.00 something, but he found out that I rejected medicare B part before, but SS did not put information in the system, so he figured out to reduce the amount of overpayment). Technincally, my dad was happy to help me out by paying off $1777.40 (of course, I have to pay back to my daddy).

Back