Where to post question on if something would be considered rude...

marymae

Reaction score
I am still getting a handle on this website, was curious as to where I would post a question on people's opinion on if it would be considered rude or not if I saw a Deaf person having a hard time communicating with a hearing person and I tried to help as I am a hearing and go to college for ASL. Right now I work with customer service and it would be sorta my job to help a customer out but I would not ever want to offend a person reguardless of the situation. Thank you.

My personal preference, is that if a store clerk starts to sign to me I will go ahead and conduct my transaction that way.

But I really would not care for a stranger to rush in and help me. I value my independence.
If there is an insurmountable communication problem, I have a notebook and pen, a netbook, and a Blackberry.
I can manage.

I am still getting a handle on this website, was curious as to where I would post a question on people's opinion on if it would be considered rude or not if I saw a Deaf person having a hard time communicating with a hearing person and I tried to help as I am a hearing and go to college for ASL. Right now I work with customer service and it would be sorta my job to help a customer out but I would not ever want to offend a person reguardless of the situation. Thank you.

Education, education, education.

After the incidence, you can teach the employee how to effectively communicate with the Deaf consumer. You jumping in might be thought to be helpful (perhaps in rural areas most accepted) while your jumping in might be considered "ganging upon" (perhaps in other areas). Just the same, you can do best by educating the/all employees on adapting toward communication needs.

I don't mean to sound rude. I can understand about independence and don't want anyone to feel like they are being rushed and such. The thing is it is my job to help customers as well as my employees in a rush (fast paced job) and I was hired specifically to help with working with the Deaf customers who come into the place as I go to college for ASL. I just don't know if it would be rude to sorta step in or the person be directed towards me just because I know ASL. I would greatly be saddened if it were to offend the customer as I have great respect towards the Deaf community. I try to teach all who are around me some ASL but with how much I travel it is hard to keep the people around me educated as there are new faces all the time. I greatly appreciate the help.

That would depends on the situation.

If you were an employee and it was a deaf customer having communication problems with a hearing customer, then it's likely to be personal between the two and not for employees to get involved with.

However, if it was something regarding an item in the store (wherever you work at)... then you could "jump in" as you would with every other customer. Just don't make it obvious that you are intervening because the person is deaf. For instance, the deaf customer is asking the hearing customer for opinion on a shirt he/she wants to buy... but can't understand what the hearing person is saying. You could approach both customers equally and ask verbally, "Hello, how are you two today? Can I help you with anyting?" If the deaf person gestures in a manner that he/she is having a hard time communicating, then you can start signing the best you can. This will likely surprise the customer in a good way and realize that he/she can be assisted.

I've done the same with my previous job at a local video rental store. Even though I'm hard-of-hearing, I've always talked like a hearing person with everyone. There was a deaf guy who approached the front counter to check out his movies. I didn't know he was deaf at first and I said, "Hello, you find everything alright?" He just kept his eyes down... placed his membership card, ID, and movies on the counter... and kept looking up and down as if he was shy. When I tried to get his attention, he gestured that he was deaf. So, I signed out how much he owed. When he saw me sign, his eyes opened wide with awe... and smiled. From that point on, he always looked for me whenever he entered the store knowing that there was someone who could assist him whenever necessary. :)

That would depends on the situation.

If you were an employee and it was a deaf customer having communication problems with a hearing customer, then it's likely to be personal between the two and not for employees to get involved with.

However, if it was something regarding an item in the store (wherever you work at)... then you could "jump in" as you would with every other customer. Just don't make it obvious that you are intervening because the person is deaf. For instance, the deaf customer is asking the hearing customer for opinion on a shirt he/she wants to buy... but can't understand what the hearing person is saying. You could approach both customers equally and ask verbally, "Hello, how are you two today? Can I help you with anyting?" If the deaf person gestures in a manner that he/she is having a hard time communicating, then you can start signing the best you can. This will likely surprise the customer in a good way and realize that he/she can be assisted.

I've done the same with my previous job at a local video rental store. Even though I'm hard-of-hearing, I've always talked like a hearing person with everyone. There was a deaf guy who approached the front counter to check out his movies. I didn't know he was deaf at first and I said, "Hello, you find everything alright?" He just kept his eyes down... placed his membership card, ID, and movies on the counter... and kept looking up and down as if he was shy. When I tried to get his attention, he gestured that he was deaf. So, I signed out how much he owed. When he saw me sign, his eyes opened wide with awe... and smiled. From that point on, he always looked for me whenever he entered the store knowing that there was someone who could assist him whenever necessary. :)

That is what works for me. At Walmart I always get in the line of a guy who likes signing. The first time I just got in his line by accident and he started signing.

But if he had rushed at me across the store like I needed his help just to check out, I would have be frightened.

Back