Pat's (bbaseballboy) Surgery log

bbaseballboy123

Reaction score
Hey, as many of you guys know from my past posts, I am 16 years old, born profoundly deaf.
I was implanted at age 2 on my right side with Advanced Bionics (AB), a year later, that implant broke, and was re-implanted at age 3. I have been using that implant for 13-14 years with many different generations of processors including the Platinum Series, the BTE series and recently the Harmony. I was having issues with the implant a few weeks ago and was confirmed to be broken...again on 1/28/11.
I was also implanted on my right a year and half ago on my left with AB 90k series (the one that was recently recalled)

Anyway, now you know my background history with implants, I went to my surgeon (same doc who implanted my left a year ago) and audiologist today, and it is confirmed that I will be have surgery on Thursday the 10th next week to remove the AB implant and implant the cochlear, and will use the new processor, N5.
To be honest, my mother is more nervous about the surgery than I am lol. But the risk is very minimum, and will most likely to work, but really theres no risk for me because I can't even hear in the first place.

This is how it will go down, I will have surgery on the 10th in the morning, leave around noon for back home. The bandage will come off 5 days later, and then I have an appointment scheduled next month for a turn on and remaps for the N5 and the Harmony for my left.

However, the surgeon said I will/may have to get used to the new implant because obviously its much different than AB's implants. He recommended that I get a surgery sometime again this year to remove my left and implant a cochlear on my left because it would make it easier for my brain to adapt to the sounds the implants create. I think I will be doing this.
(for those who are wondering, my surgeon does not implant AB anymore after the recent recall)

Last edited:
Five implants?

damn right. you jelly? :P

But seriously I know that is a lot! But if it will help my hearing then I might as well do it.
To be realistic, implants are going to die eventually in your life time. It could be 10 years, 20 or 30 or even more from now, technology breaks.

Hey, as many of you guys know from my past posts, I am 16 years old, born profoundly deaf.
I was implanted at age 2 on my right side with Advanced Bionics (AB), a year later, that implant broke, and was re-implanted at age 3. I have been using that implant for 13-14 years with many different generations of processors including the Platinum Series, the BTE series and recently the Harmony. I was having issues with the implant a few weeks ago and was confirmed to be broken...again on 1/21/11.
I was also implanted on my right a year and half ago on my left with AB 90k series (the one that was recently recalled)

Anyway, now you know my background history with implants, I went to my surgeon (same doc who implanted my left a year ago) and audiologist today, and it is confirmed that I will be have surgery on Thursday the 10th next week to remove the AB implant and implant the cochlear, and will use the new processor, N5.
To be honest, my mother is more nervous about the surgery than I am lol. But the risk is very minimum, and will most likely to work, but really theres no risk for me because I can't even hear in the first place.

This is how it will go down, I will have surgery on the 10th in the morning, leave around noon for back home. The bandage will come off 5 days later, and then I have an appointment scheduled next month for a turn on and remaps for the N5 and the Harmony for my left.

However, the surgeon said I will/may have to get used to the new implant because obviously its much different than AB's implants. He recommended that I get a surgery sometime again this year to remove my left and implant a cochlear on my left because it would make it easier for my brain to adapt to the sounds the implants create. I think I will be doing this.
(for those who are wondering, my surgeon does not implant AB after the recent recall)

I'm nervous for you, too :) Will be thinking good thoughts on your big day and wishing you all the best!

I had wondered if they always replace the electrode array deep in the cochlea as well as replacing the receiver right under the skin when they replace a failed implant. But I suppose if you are switching products, you've got to get a whole new electrode array no matter what -- they aren't interchangeable. Any idea if your early surgery required the whole package or left the array in place?

damn right. you jelly? :P

But seriously I know that is a lot! But if it will help my hearing then I might as well do it.
To be realistic, implants are going to die eventually in your life time. It could be 10 years, 20 or 30 or even more from now, technology breaks.

Well, not sure if you've noticed by now... I only see one thing when a situation like this occurs.

Some others dont like my perspective, but oh well.

But realistically: a CI operation is actually high risk. I hope all of them work out well for you. Ive had two friends that had drastic consequences, and several requiring explants.

I'm nervous for you, too :) Will be thinking good thoughts on your big day and wishing you all the best!

I had wondered if they always replace the electrode array deep in the cochlea as well as replacing the receiver right under the skin when they replace a failed implant. But I suppose if you are switching products, you've got to get a whole new electrode array no matter what -- they aren't interchangeable. Any idea if your early surgery required the whole package or left the array in place?
Haha thank you! I really can't wait but at the same time, the next day after surgery will be painful.
And actually I did not know if they could just replace the receiver headpiece but, I know for sure I got the whole package in 1997 (replacing the original) because they studied the wire and confirmed that it was cracked (idk how that happens).
Well, not sure if you've noticed by now... I only see one thing when a situation like this occurs.

Some others dont like my perspective, but oh well.

But realistically: a CI operation is actually high risk. I hope all of them work out well for you. Ive had two friends that had drastic consequences, and several requiring explants.

Yes, CI operations are risky, but not as risky as it was in 1996 for me. Hell, I was one of the first few kids in the country to be implanted.
I feel bad for your friends, It really makes me sad that implants don't work for everyone; its a great piece of technology, wish it would work for anyone that wants a CI.

Your a brave soul... I don't think i could do it... The one I have is enough for now... I wish you luck and will be thinking about you...

Your a brave soul... I don't think i could do it... The one I have is enough for now... I wish you luck and will be thinking about you...

Haha, well it has to be done sometime if i want to hear again.
I saw your sig, how are you liking the N5?

I'm not one of the lucky ones who got turned on and could hear and make everything out. . Plus i went 30 years without any high pitch sounds. but then again ive only been turned on for 2 weeks... as far as the fit goes I'm cool with it..

I'm not one of the lucky ones who got turned on and could hear and make everything out. . Plus i went 30 years without any high pitch sounds. but then again ive only been turned on for 2 weeks... as far as the fit goes I'm cool with it..

Nor am I with my left. I been implanted my right for so long that I got used too it, and been hearing really well. If you think about it, its like training a puppy, its easier to start "training" (hearing) them at a much younger age and they will be trained easily (hear well).
Thats why my parents wanted to get me implanted as soon as possible because they wanted me to hear very well, learn English quick as possible... and it proven to be the smart move (for me and my parents)
I am hoping that the implant for my right will be easy to get used too, like within a week I want to be able to understand someone's English 70%.
My left on the other hand has been a struggle and not hearing very much but I think I'll hear out of it after a new remap to up the volume in voice and lower background.
Glad you are cool with the processor. Makes me a bit more excited haha

Good luck with CI Op. Hope it goes well.
Thanks and I hope your turn on on Feb 21 will be a good one.

Seeing how you did good with your right ear hopefully you will pick up where you left off.
right now im feeling like im not getting enough bass everything is high pitch noises which i'm not use to.. so im having troubles figuring out what is what, i'm sure it will improve i have faith :)

deb,
Patience will pay off. When first turned on and the first few week's month's nothing will sound "normal".. It took awhile for things to normal out for me as well. I was turned on in august of 2010 and now feb 2011 everthing sounds pretty normal to me. I wish you the very best in your journey with your new hearing.

Seeing how you did good with your right ear hopefully you will pick up where you left off.
right now im feeling like im not getting enough bass everything is high pitch noises which i'm not use to.. so im having troubles figuring out what is what, i'm sure it will improve i have faith :)

I am hoping that too, perhaps within 2 weeks I want to hear more than 70%, but its a bit high expectation.

deb,
Patience will pay off. When first turned on and the first few week's month's nothing will sound "normal".. It took awhile for things to normal out for me as well. I was turned on in august of 2010 and now feb 2011 everthing sounds pretty normal to me. I wish you the very best in your journey with your new hearing.

Is this from first time hearing or you head heard out of that side before with an implant?
I think it will be fairly easy for me to get used to the implant because I had an implant in the cochlea before the syrgery tomorrow.

And thank you! I am very excited.

Bbaseballboy123...Good Luck tomorrow.. will be praying for you...

Hey Deaffy... haven't seen you on in a while... glad your back

Hey guys,
I was admitted into the hospital (yale) at 630 or so, and the surgery went from 7:30 to 11:30
You are probably asking, why 4 hours and not the normal 2 hours...
what happened was, since it been 14 years, they had to chip the bone to remove the top peice, but that took 2 hours lol. However the wire just came out like sliding.
but while putting the new one in, it took him additional 2 hours because it didnt go in correctly the first 2 times since it been used too many times. the 3rd time he "think" he did it right and requested a cat scan so they put me in recovery thinking cat scan was just part of progess so i wouldnt get worried. But the cat scanned showed it was in correctly so i didnt have to have the 2nd surgery... in the same day lol
I took a good peaceful hour sleep right after the surgery, then woke up due to wanting to pee, those IV really full you up fast...
I had my parents come in, kinda rest for a hour, then I just feel good enough to leave after seeing my doctor saying thanks.
I am feeling great now, I been hungry and been eating all day after getting home. I know you arent suppose to eat heavy, but for some reason, I am taking it pretty well
Probably because I knew what I was expecting since I had same surgery last year.

**sorry if my english or spelling is terrible, I am still in a bit of pain and not thinking straight*

Hi bbaseballboy123, wow very good that you put this behind you and you are now in your way to hear better.
Do you get dizzy or balance problem after the surgery, any pain in head, face?
I and a friend of mine are scheduled to have the CI next month, we are freaking out, LOL :)

Back