If you're deciding on a CI or decided not to get one

Subjectivity is internalized, not externalized. No amount of assistive technology will work if there is no desire for their benefits. The desire comes from the immediate reality of one's life and the necessity of making adjustments. All too often, no adjustment is necessary except within.

Well said.

Isn't slinging the "term-audist view" nothing more than a glib "putdown"-correct Jillio not psychologize of course.

Isn't this thread ostensible a discussion on whether or not to get an implant?

How does whether "some people" like or dislike Rick enter into that decision? Is Rick asked to pay for the operation- for some?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Isn't slinging the "term-audist view" nothing more than a glib "putdown"-correct Jillio not psychologize of course.

How does whether "some people" like or dislike Rick enter into that decision? Is Rick asked to pay for the operation- for some?

Not here long enough

Rick doesn't like deaf people.

Exactly. All that post was saying was the same old thing. Quality of life with sound is superior to quality of life without sound.

God..I just HATE HATE HATE HATE that view with a passion! *gaaaaaaaaag*

People who look down or constantly question the Deaf way of life are audist....it is simple as that.

lol at this entire thread.. Some of you just have alot of internal issues that need taken care of. WHO gives a flying crap what a person decide's will improve their quailty of life. What direct impact does that have on your life? Is it money.. Is it a nice house.. is it your car.. is it that you value hearing or not.. Wow such judgement's placed on a person's personal choices they make in life. A person's quality of life is their decision soley based on THEIR LIFE not yours or anyone else's for that matter.. Good grief!

lol at this entire thread.. Some of you just have alot of internal issues that need taken care of. WHO gives a flying crap what a person decide's will improve their quailty of life. What direct impact does that have on your life? Is it money.. Is it a nice house.. is it your car.. is it that you value hearing or not.. Wow such judgement's placed on a person's personal choices they make in life. A person's quality of life is their decision soley based on THEIR LIFE not yours or anyone else's for that matter.. Good grief!

When you see it being imposed on deaf children constantly..it is hard not to let that affect oneself unless that person has a heart made of rock.

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
I disagree with this statement, first, to a large extent, quality of life (QOL) is subjective and personal, what you may view as essential to improve your QOL maybe something that someone else does not view as having any impact on their QOL.

HAs and Cis are examples as there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so, there are many examples of this just on this board alone. It does not make one's view and/or decision right or wrong nor does the view held by one detract and/or add to someone else's view, it just is what it is: differing views on the same subject.

As for the second part of your statement, that however is factually incorrect first for many they will not have the same access to sounds if they do not utilize a HA or a CI. Again, there are many examples of posters who have CIs and who have stated that they can hear sounds with them that they could not with HAs and obviously, if they were unaided. Thus, it was physically not possible for them to do so without access to HAs or Cis. Second, if a person views access to sounds as important to improving their QOL then having HAs and/or CIs as opposed to not having them will have a direct impact on their QOL.
Rick

Only an audist would say the bolded. Only a freaking audist woulds say that quality of life is impossible to achieve without sounds. I do not know what else to say except that you are like a broken record.

Exactly

Exactly. All that post was saying was the same old thing. Quality of life with sound is superior to quality of life without sound
. Yes. We may use (and LOVE) hearing aids or CIs, but we're not sitting around whining that "boo hoo hoo, we can't hear. Our lives are so horrid b/c we can't hear"

. Yes. We may use (and LOVE) hearing aids or CIs, but we're not sitting around whining that "boo hoo hoo, we can't hear. Our lives are so horrid b/c we can't hear"

This was a good post. I don't understand why some here think that we get a CI or HA that we aren't at term's with our deafness. That is what bothers me the most about some poster's here. They assume before knowing the facts!!

Wirelessly posted

Rick and loveblue you missed the whole point of my post it is obvious that you are only reading what you want to read. Need I spell it out for you? Apparently I do. I was saying that HAs and CIs are just assistive apparatus it is up to the individual as to whether they will be of use as a means to bring QOL for that individual then they serve their purpose but if one so chooses not to have these assistive devices they can still achieve the same ends without them.

Wirelessly posted

Rick and loveblue you missed the whole point of my post it is obvious that you are only reading what you want to read. Need I spell it out for you? Apparently I do. I was saying that HAs and CIs are just assistive apparatus it is up to the individual as to whether they will be of use as a means to bring QOL for that individual then they serve their purpose but if one so chooses not to have these assistive devices they can still achieve the same ends without them.
Sorry I misinterpreted your post. It sounded like you were saying that "any deaf person" would have the same QOL with or without assistive devices. You post above is more clear on what you meant.
Those of us who choose assistive devices have been "put down", "attacked", "told we don't know what we're talking about" by others here and that is why we're defensive. Those posters will be along soon to deny this, of course.

Wirelessly posted

What you will find is in fact that what is strongly opposed is when ones k who blantantly say to those who choose not to have assistive devices such as HAs and CIs that without sounds you cannot achieve QOL is projecting an audist view. It is the audist attitude that we oppose because it is prejudicial superior supremist type of attitude.

Only an audist would say the bolded. Only a freaking audist woulds say that quality of life is impossible to achieve without sounds. I do not know what else to say except that you are like a broken record.

Rick did NOT write that QOL is impossible without sounds or anything near that statement: you have either misread his statement or you are intentionally rewriting what he said to fit an imagined audist bogeyman that you can rally against. That's not healthy to the community and by attempting to put your words into Rick's mouth you are making statements that hurt people who have had too much real pain already and don't need to hear your ugly imaginings.

Rick stated very much the opposite: that QOL is in the eye of the beholder. In effect, that HAs and CIs only provide benefit if access to sound is something the user values. If not, these tools are not useful and don't affect QOL. I don't see how you can disagree with HIS very non-confrontational words: "there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so." You can see that even on this little microcosm online: some here LIKE what their HAs, their CIs provide. Some don't have any need for these tools.

:gpost: Using an HA or CI isn't a slap in the face of being deaf.

Rick did NOT write that QOL is impossible without sounds or anything near that statement: you have either misread his statement or you are intentionally rewriting what he said to fit an imagined audist bogeyman that you can rally against. That's not healthy to the community and by attempting to put your words into Rick's mouth you are making statements that hurt people who have had too much real pain already and don't need to hear your ugly imaginings.

Rick stated very much the opposite: that QOL is in the eye of the beholder. In effect, that HAs and CIs only provide benefit if access to sound is something the user values. If not, these tools are not useful and don't affect QOL. I don't see how you can disagree with HIS very non-confrontational words: "there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so." You can see that even on this little microcosm online: some here LIKE what their HAs, their CIs provide. Some don't have any need for these tools.

GrendelQ,

So great to see you back! :)

I think the point being made was obvious but the reaction of the same few typical. I guess, paraphrasing Prof. Wagstaff with respect to my posts their mantra is: "Whatever he writes, I'm against it!" :)

I guess since there are many Deaf who use HAs and an ever increasing number who are opting for CIs either for themselves or for their own children, there is at least some consensus that access to sounds can be a part of a deaf person's life. What effect it can or will have on one's QOL is subjective and personal.

Rick

Isn't getting a Hearing aid or Cochlear Implant-ONE WAY to deal with the fact of Hearing loss or Deafness? The OTHER WAY is don't use devices and learn/use ASL? Each person makes their choice. ( I know about babies born deaf etc whose choice is made by their parents).

In the end one's quality of life is up to YOU. to paraphrase my user name-one must be your own best friend.

Back