Toys

willsmom

Reaction score
Looking for ideas for childrens toys (my son 18 months) that are good for deaf children with or without CIs my son does have a CI. I am looking for toys or even iphone apps good for fostering speech development or just fun toys that would seem to be good for deaf children! Thanks

Looking for ideas for childrens toys (my son 18 months) that are good for deaf children with or without CIs my son does have a CI. I am looking for toys or even iphone apps good for fostering speech development or just fun toys that would seem to be good for deaf children! Thanks

My two year old granddaughter, (no CI) loves her Nintendo DS. Dogs game.

I don't think it necessarily fosters language, but it is great for eye hand coordination.

Books, books, and many more books :) My daughter's favorite things of all time have been books, paints, and empty cartons. She has a ton of fancy toys that sit on shelves, but the books, paint sets, and cardboard boxes live with us everywhere we go, always have, still top of the heap.

When she was younger, puzzles were great. too. Now, she is very much into tech, so she gets our iphones every chance she can, we find her curled up with the iPad, texting her daddy, who has trouble figuring out how to read his text messages :) or calling out: "is Johnny Test spelled JONNY or JOHNNY" or "how do I spell Avatar, the last airbender" and we know she's searching for videos on Google, and then we hover a bit closer.

All the kids at her school have electronics for their long bus rides: many of the younger ones use Leapsters. These have both visual and audio components to the experience. These have been hot at our house for more than 2 years, so they are standing the test of time and toddler attention span. At 2 she had a Discovery Toys toy phone that repeated aloud and flashed onscreen the numbers pressed, and then mocked up conversations -- she loved having a phone.

Legos are huge today -- my daughter has a thing for pirates, so she has many pirate themed sets, and had enjoyed them for years. Lincoln logs , too, maybe easier than legos for tiny little fingers. So are Qtips and mini marshmallows.

Of course, there's sand and sandboxes and all that goes into them -- kids seem to love anything that can get really messy :). Soccer balls, jump ropes. And checkers .... We're just starting to play chess, but I'm not seeing the love there that legos draw. And paper, we make many books, and that encourages storytelling and writing, so I love it when she makes books even though we kill many trees.

Puppets -- Li loves to act out many roles with her hand puppets, and they are soft and fuzzy, so even if she just holds them, without putting her hands inside, they are fun for her. And kites!

Wow, I'm sorry, I'm just going on and on. And could continue, but I'll stop there.

Back