Sheriff Joe Arpaio; a different look here

deafdrummer

Reaction score
I didn't want to derail the other thread about racial profiling by the sheriff, so I wanted to talk about two things here: the use of the word "Latin" or "Latinos;" and the fact that he completely MISSED other potential illegals.

Let me explain: these men may be referred to as Latin or Latino men, but at the root of it, they are Native Americans living as hispanics for the most part. Hispanic is an ethnic group, not a racial group. What, there are no white hispanics?? The other thing is that Arpaio had to have missed blond-headed, blue-eyed, or otherwise European-looking illegals. Sometime between 1978 and 1980, in the middle of summer, there stood a man on our property in south Texas, a couple of miles out of Carrizo Springs. He had gone through our fence and was walking to the north, towards the highway. He was blond-headed, blue-eyed, missing all of his top and bottom front teeth, real dirty, wearing a thread-bare shirt unbuttoned down the front and worn-out jeans. I went and got my step-mom, as I was still in junior high then. She first talked to him in English, and he didn't seem to understand. She broke out in español, and there it went. He had come up from México on his way to better opportunities. Couldn't understand a word of English... She immediately got him food and water, and directed him on his next leg, wherever that was. I was shocked, to see this man, one of our own, in his condition and station in life. I never forgot the look on his face and the way he looked. I can still see him clearly to this day over 30 years later... And I am haunted by that...

Back