How are you feeling with your CI so far?

I have one side-left-which went deaf-December 20, 2006. I don't recall discussing whether to have bilaterally done-perhaps age wise-over 70 is/was a factor.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I haven't posted in a while. although i'm only 6 months implanted. It just hasn't clicked with me. i find myself having to turn it off to try to understand what people are saying almost like it confuses things for me.. My audi says at some point it all should start comming togeither. I hope so.

I haven't posted in a while. although i'm only 6 months implanted. It just hasn't clicked with me. i find myself having to turn it off to try to understand what people are saying almost like it confuses things for me.. My audi says at some point it all should start comming togeither. I hope so.

It didn't "click" for me either. Definitely not after 6 months. I was activated in Dec 2008 and I'm still working on listening, but where I am now is far beyond where I was 2 years ago.

It didn't "click" for me either. Definitely not after 6 months. I was activated in Dec 2008 and I'm still working on listening, but where I am now is far beyond where I was 2 years ago.

Really? Do you know why? (Was the HA better at that point? Just curious !!)

(It was one of the the things I was concerned about for me. Whether one was better than the other.)

Really? Do you know why? (Was the HA better at that point? Just curious !!)

The HA was definitely better in the first few months, but as I got through the programming and getting used to it, the CI became way better.

Let me tell ya a story. One morning, in the day after a mapping, I was on my way to work. I started noticing that there were so many sounds missing/messed up. My turn signal didn't make a sound. My engine sounded so low. I barely heard the AC. And I started talking to myself too, to test out what I can hear. I thought to myself "Oh my god... this mapping really sucks! It's so bad!" And I was getting all pissed because mappings aren't cheap even with insurance. And now I needed another one right away! Then I realized that I wore only my HA on the other ear... forgot to put on my CI.

Yet another Vicky moment....

Oh! And to answer your question why it didn't click. Well, I was born profoundly deaf and I've never heard a lot of the sounds that I hear with the CI now and, for me, it was just like "wtf is THAT?" for a long time. And, for a long time, my brain was just overwhelmed with hearing new sounds.

The HA was definitely better in the first few months, but as I got through the programming and getting used to it, the CI became way better.

Let me tell ya a story. One morning, in the day after a mapping, I was on my way to work. I started noticing that there were so many sounds missing/messed up. My turn signal didn't make a sound. My engine sounded so low. I barely heard the AC. And I started talking to myself too, to test out what I can hear. I thought to myself "Oh my god... this mapping really sucks! It's so bad!" And I was getting all pissed because mappings aren't cheap even with insurance. And now I needed another one right away! Then I realized that I wore only my HA on the other ear... forgot to put on my CI.

Yet another Vicky moment....

:lol: !!!! Seriously !! That's a good one :)

Ok .. So, the engine, the AC, the talking to yourself, etc. all sounded better with the CI? (as in what would seem "normal"?)

Gotta love those self-realization moments :lol:

:lol: !!!! Seriously !! That's a good one :)

Ok .. So, the engine, the AC, the talking to yourself, etc. all sounded better with the CI? (as in what would seem "normal"?)

Gotta love those self-realization moments :lol:

Yes. Since I've experienced with the CI, the HA sounds.... incomplete for the lack of a better word. I mean, I am definitely not at that point where I can understand speech without lipreading but.... even though I may not understand babble with the CI nor HA, I can tell the difference. With the HA, it's all voices to me. All vowels to me. But with the CI, I hear more details. I hear s, p, t, k, and so on. I hear consonants. As for the AC and engine, the sounds seem more complete.. more 3D. So yes, I would say it sounds more "normal". Although I don't know what normal is. ;)

I think that is my problems. After being profoundly deaf for 30 years. (And not wearing hearing Aides)Im just having a hard time adjusting to noised I'm not use to hearing. It's like there is always noise when it is turned on and im use to mostly silence except for the tinnus.

There is always noise! I don't know how hearing people can take it! :)

Hearing person: "Ahh it's nice and quiet."
Me: "But.. I hear a whoooshhh.."
Hearing person: "Oh yea that's the AC."
Me: "I also hear some chirping or something."
Hearing person: "Oh yea there's a couple birds outside."
Me: "I hear something else, like a*makes sound*"
Hearing person: "Oh yea that's the washing machine."
Me: "So... it's nice and quiet...?"
Hearing person: "Yea! Isn't it great?!"

I also find it easier to order at Fast Food Restaurants. Not that I'm implying I go to Fast Food Restaurants THAT often! :giggle:

Yeah, yeah, you just outed yourself!

(She says, chomping down on a Wendy's fruit, almond and chicken salad.... Really, really good, too!)

I find it easier to follow the words to a song, especially if I know the song well and also have a good view of the singer's. :)

There is always noise! I don't know how hearing people can take it! :)

Hearing person: "Ahh it's nice and quiet."
Me: "But.. I hear a whoooshhh.."
Hearing person: "Oh yea that's the AC."
Me: "I also hear some chirping or something."
Hearing person: "Oh yea there's a couple birds outside."
Me: "I hear something else, like a*makes sound*"
Hearing person: "Oh yea that's the washing machine."
Me: "So... it's nice and quiet...?"
Hearing person: "Yea! Isn't it great?!"
:P That's so true how it is with the CI... If it works for the person we can hear alot of different things... but we also have the power to make all those annoying sounds just vanish!

I am not sure about you guys, but I feel with my skin/hands primarily, not CI's.

Some sort of secret here?

It's all internal. The sound in your "head" (ears). There are some things that even skin/hands cannot feel.

Depends on how many people in the room. Or how many voices on the radio or video.

Back