Medical interpreting

This blew right over your head, didn't it?

OK. I quit.

:bye:

I can see that you are pretty sensitive. Maybe consider about changing your major since you took too personally with this forum.

Reba is correct that i do have to be careful of choosing the interpreter to reflect my appearance to people, not interpreter. You have been a member here for a year, and still haven't meet Deaf people. That is not a good case.

Reba's replies were right on. Given that you are striving to be a medical interpreter you need to be professional wherever you are. You need to conduct yourself on a higher level than the average person coming here asking questions.

As a former EMT how I presented myself in the community I served was as important off duty as when I was on duty. I never knew who my next patient would be and showing myself as competent and calm professional served me well.

You do realize this has nothing to do with interpreting like I said before. I simply asked a few questions for a Deaf person to answer. I am not in a interpreting setting. Im writing through a phone im not speaking or miss spelling anyone's name. I didnt ask anyone to nitpick at my typos I asked for help with a school project and you completely took it to another level and now say you are trying to guide me we both know the dig you threw at me in the beginning was no such thing.

Image is everything..........and I shan't convey the image you are portraying to me.....come back here in 10 years and we can re-visit everything......

You do realize this has nothing to do with interpreting like I said before. I simply asked a few questions for a Deaf person to answer. I am not in a interpreting setting. Im writing through a phone im not speaking or miss spelling anyone's name. I didnt ask anyone to nitpick at my typos I asked for help with a school project and you completely took it to another level and now say you are trying to guide me we both know the dig you threw at me in the beginning was no such thing.

I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't ask for you or even accept you as my interpreter based on what I am reading here.

It is very clear you have no care in what people think or first impressions.

another thing,

Deaf are known to be very blunt so if you are having a hard time with Reba's comments, then you would have a terrible time dealing with Deaf.

Based on that, I agree that you would probably be better off in another field unless you are willing to listen to what people with experiences are telling you.

Final comment I have for you, GROW UP!! You might not have been in the real world yet but you are in for a huge surprise if you think you can get away with attitude you are showing in this thread!

P.S. Do you have any idea how often people get on here asking questions just like you did and then leave and never come back? That makes us feel used instead of being 2 way street.

You are such a pathetic individual who wants to ask us about medical interpreting. This site is not designed for HS/college students to post questionnaires for your homework assignments.

Go meet some real Deaf people somewhere and go start from there. :roll:

First of all, you were rude to us when you expected us to be an easy target to help you with your homework. Second, you sound like a 13 year old with an attitude problem. If you can't handle a Deaf forum, you will never be able to handle real life. Good luck, because you will need it.

Reba wasn't being mean. She was trying to be helpful. It is hard to convey emotions in a written message sometimes. If you think she was harsh, just wait until you meet some of you hearing/Deaf clients. Not everyone has patience with new interpreters. Deaf clients, hearing clients, CODA family members, etc. can be absolutely brutal to interpreters.

I am interested in a Deaf persons views and experience with medical interpreting. Here are some questions I am and please add anything else. Thank you

1) what was the setting. Heat problem, dental, physical check up, emergency room
2) what was the nurses/ doctors reaction to the interpreter?
3) who made the introduction in this appointment
4) how did you the patient feel about the interpreter
5) have you ever went to a doctors appointment without an interpreter? How was it?
6) do you prefer to have an interpreter if yes why?
7) how long do you have to wait for an interpreter to arrive to an appointment?
8) where instructions about you medications clear from the interpreter?

Thank you

As a former medical professional, I have to say that I agree with what everyone else said: Your incredibly poorly written English and obvious inability to handle even the slightest amount of constructive criticism is alarming and very unprofessional. I would be incredibly concerned if the interpreter my client brought with him to the clinic couldn't spell even basic English. Why??? For starters, the spelling of medical terminology is very complex. Many people for whom English is their first language have difficulty spelling and pronouncing some of the more complex medical terms. As a medical interpreter, I would EXPECT you to at least know how to spell those terms, and if you were unclear, I would similarly EXPECT you to ask for help in spelling them. For both ethical and legal purposes, spelling IS a big deal in the medical world. Ask anyone who has ever confused "Lasix" (a diuretic medication) with "Lasik" (corrective eye surgery). And yes, apparently that exact confusion has really happened, at least in a written medical report!

Second, as a few people have mentioned, your inability to write in English already leads me to question whether or not you could effectively communicate my spoken directions, recommendations for follow up, etc., to another person (my patient) via sign language. If you don't understand basic grammatical rules in English, how can I, as a medical professional, expect you to translate my ideas appropriately?

Third, everyone - EVERYONE - needs to be able to take constructive criticism. It's part of being a professional. Medical professionals get called to task All. The. Time. The others are right. If you can't handle the comments on this forum, I'm not convinced you can handle interpreting in real life. People everywhere can be mean, sarcastic, petty, intimidating, etc. I've taken loads of constructive, and not-so-constructive criticism over the years. Sometimes it was uncalled for, but more often than not, it was completely appropriate. Criticism is part of the job for a professional. In fact, I'd even say it's part of ANY job, or just a part of life.

Fourth: I had one Deaf patient who brought different interpreters with him whenever he came to the clinic to see me. Here's the thing. I can sign. Years ago, I was fluent in conversational ASL, but I didn't use it much so I lost most of my ability to communicate well. I can still get the gist of conversations, but I'm certainly not even close to being fluent. One interpreter my patient brought really had trouble communicating, well...just about everything. When he started finger spelling the names of drugs incorrectly, and also told the patient to go to a different hospital than what I recommended, I asked him to leave because he wasn't doing his job. Period. He wasn't helping. If I hadn't at least known some of the local signs for the different hospitals and known how to finger spell, I might never have known this so-called interpreter was grossly miscommunicating. Miscommunications such as those not only reflect poorly on the interpreter, but they also reflect poorly on me as a health practitioner and on the other clinic staff. If, because of poor interpreting, it looks like I - as the medical professional - told my patient to go to the wrong hospital or take the wrong medication, then I can be reprimanded and have limits put on my license to practice. That's a very significant consequence for me as the health professional. I don't think I should have to lose my license to practice, my very livelihood, because the interpreter wasn't good at his/her job!

So...why is everyone on this board so upset with how you presented yourself? Your original post and subsequent responses have all lacked professionalism. As a few others have mentioned, like it or not, D/deaf people ARE often "judged" by the professionalism of their interpreter. It's not right. It's certainly not fair. But it happens. So, before you get your knickers in a twist and respond to my comments in some childishly inappropriate way, take a deep breath and think for a few minutes about the image you want to present to others. Know that if you present an unprofessional image, as you did in your initial post, you won't go very far in your career.

honeybunny526, Reba is an ASL interpreter and she is kind enough to give you some 'FREE" advice . You could learn a thing or two from her . Wait till you get out in the real world, there are going to be a lot of people that do not care about your feeling when they tell what they think of work.

Well, honestly, that's mods' job to stop this foolish thing going on. If it's not against the forum rules, then they are free to ask questions. If you don't like it, ignore it. It applies to EVERY forum, not just this forum. In other words, you, the members should complain to the owner, "Hey, I am sick of those students asking us questions that we don't like to hear. Please make a new rule that they are not allowed to ask us those kind of questions." Jolie77's thread makes no difference to them. :lol: See, they are still coming because what they are asking us is not against the rule. Alex is the owner who allows them to do that. I really don't care because I know how to ignore and move on. smh

Last edited:
Back